installing factory stereo (again)

DSMOS

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon GL TDI (Wu-Tang Wagon) 280K and climbing
hey all. I've been using an aftermarket headunit after removing my double din monsoon. as a tape user (yes, i carry around a vhs camera), i would like to have a more reliable tape player as well as an aux input. i've been looking at the blitzsafe aux adapters and using the single din monsoon without a cd player. does the single din monsoon light up and dim with the rest of the car? does it have the same hook up? what work will i have to do for it to work?

Last edited:

najel

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 5 speed
I have no comment about the Single DIN Monsoon, other than it should dim with the dash if I remember right from my dad's old car. But I'm not 100% on that.
But instead of the Blitzsafe, may I recommend you look into the Crux BTS line. I think you have to choose between the BTS-VW1 and BTS-VW2. Difference is how many pins the CD changer connector on the stereo has. My double DIN Monsoon takes the BTS-VW2 unit.
This has a regular aux plugin (headphone jack) instead of the RCA, and in addition, does Bluetooth audio and has a USB for playing files and charging. And it's slightly cheaper than the Blitzsafe ones. Bought mine from Crutchfield.

DSMOS

TDI
thanks for the info, i'll probably buy the stuff once i bypass my seized up ac compressor :| would a steering wheel with built in controls also work with one of these?

cuppie

Veteran Member
TDI
02 B5.5 Passat 1.8t
^ ^ ^ This.
Aside from the plug being different, the Double-DIN HU uses a CAN message to know when to turn on; single-DIN uses a hardwire power input (just like an aftermarket HU.)
You'd need to replace the plug with the older version, or build an adapter (which would be preferable.) And, you'd need to run a switched power line to the radio (assuming that you didn't already do this for your current HU.)

Yes, steering wheel controls do work with the single-DIN HU - but, again, differently.
DD (again) uses CAN; SD is a serial hardline. So, configuration changes there, too - adding wire, recoding the MFSW.
Or, are you asking if you can add MFSW, and use a SD HU? Yes.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Stupid question - why not put the DD Monsoon back in? Is the SD Monsoon tape deck that much more reliable?

Jason

DSMOS

TDI
Stupid question - why not put the DD Monsoon back in? Is the SD Monsoon tape deck that much more reliable?

Jason
no questions are stupid! the tape deck IS more reliable, plus it will allow a little extra room for some equipment involving CNG, more on that at another time, on another forum. i used to have a dd but it got so stuck in the car that we only got it out by prying off the face plate and using pliers to rip it out.

^ ^ ^ This.
Aside from the plug being different, the Double-DIN HU uses a CAN message to know when to turn on; single-DIN uses a hardwire power input (just like an aftermarket HU.)
You'd need to replace the plug with the older version, or build an adapter (which would be preferable.) And, you'd need to run a switched power line to the radio (assuming that you didn't already do this for your current HU.)

Yes, steering wheel controls do work with the single-DIN HU - but, again, differently.
DD (again) uses CAN; SD is a serial hardline. So, configuration changes there, too - adding wire, recoding the MFSW.
Or, are you asking if you can add MFSW, and use a SD HU? Yes.
i don't have steering wheel controls quite yet, but i'll be installing them soon hopefully. is there a guide to that anybody knows about?

it sounds like it'd be much easier to install the dd monsoon, and i might just go with it. all of your input is greatly appreciated.