New 2015 Deal Offered Me

cane929

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI DSG S
I was also called recently on a car I test drove a couple of weeks ago, extra $1250 off sticker + $5000 rebate.

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf & Passat - sold | 2016 GSW TSI
Why would they sweeten the deal when there is no car on the market that can fit as much as a JSW, still get that kind of milage, not suck to drive and not cost 10+K more?
I wasn't ready to sell mine back yet, but after looking at whats available on the market and seeing these "new" tdis now available i'm considering actually buying a "new" car for the first time even though it's not new. Does anyone know if VW is planning to release TDIs in 2018? Or even a hybrid wagon?
How many miles per year do you drive and what's been your MPG?

I have a 2016 GSW TSI 5sp. The new 1.8T is a great engine, and I've averaged 37+ mpg so far, over 21k miles. It also only cost $18,425 to buy in March 2016.

The 5sp stick gets better mileage than the 6AT, but is only available in the "base" S (still has plenty of options, IMO). All 2016s get the newer MIBII infotainment, which has Android Auto / Apply Carplay - a huge upgrade over the 2015s. I also prefer the cloth seats, as I found the Vtex to be "swampy" and not breathe enough.

There is no better value for an MK7 Sportwagen than the TSI 5sp. It would take many, many miles before a TDI saves you $ on gas (don't forget cost of fuel filters, DSG service if you buy the auto, and the timing belt).
Take a test drive in one and see if its a worthy substitute for you.
YMMV

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Since I paid $16,400 for my "new" GSW TDI S, I think there is a better value. And I have it. I'm seeing 46.5 on the first tank of fuel, not even 1000 miles on the car.

I've driven the 1.8T and it's a nice engine. But there are many situations where the TDI is much more efficient. It's a shame that the '15s may be the last of these cars.

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Trendline - White
It would take many, many miles before a TDI saves you $ on gas.
In Canada the 2015 TDI's were about $4k cheaper than a new 2017 TSI after you factored in financing. Dealers also aren't moving much on the price of the 2017's. The way I see it, the TDI is already saving me money.

DSG and fuel filters do cost more, but in my estimates the TDI still comes out way ahead.

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
Since I paid $16,400 for my "new" GSW TDI S, I think there is a better value. And I have it. I'm seeing 46.5 on the first tank of fuel, not even 1000 miles on the car.

I've driven the 1.8T and it's a nice engine. But there are many situations where the TDI is much more efficient. It's a shame that the '15s may be the last of these cars.
The lease deal is great on the S models, that's for sure. I ran the numbers and was tempted, but doesn't make sense for me to trade my GSW towards one.
Good thing you jumped when you did, as these "new" TDI deals are almost extinct already!

A 2018 TDI with the latest infotainment systems would be great, that's for sure.

Yawiney

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW DSG

How did you get that deal? That sounds too good to be true.

Yawiney

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW DSG
I have a 2016 GSW TSI 5sp. The new 1.8T is a great engine, and I've averaged 37+ mpg so far, over 21k miles. It also only cost $18,425 to buy in March 2016.
The 5sp stick gets better mileage than the 6AT, but is only available in the "base" S (still has plenty of options, IMO). All 2016s get the newer MIBII infotainment, which has Android Auto / Apply Carplay - a huge upgrade over the 2015s. I also prefer the cloth seats, as I found the Vtex to be "swampy" and not breathe enough.
There is no better value for an MK7 Sportwagen than the TSI 5sp. It would take many, many miles before a TDI saves you $ on gas (don't forget cost of fuel filters, DSG service if you buy the auto, and the timing belt).
YMMV
i'm a musician. So, a lot of time on the road. I do go kind of fast and really only average 37-38 as well, so not doing much better than gas i guess?
How close is the GSW to the JSW space-wise? I pack my JSW pretty full a lot of the time.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
How did you get that deal? That sounds too good to be true.

GSW S is pretty inexpensive to start with, $25,600 MSRP or thereabouts. $8,500 off with the lease and a good relationship with the dealer did the rest.

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT / 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI 6MT
YMMV
how about if you decide to sell the car? which one holds the better value?

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
how about if you decide to sell the car? which one holds the better value?
I don't know, and neither does anyone else. This is a huge unknown right now. Its possible the 2015 TDIs will become a "collector" car.

But, I profess, like most true-blood TDI owners, that I'll own my car a looong, time. I'm thinking 150k minimum, assuming that it stays reliable. At that point, who cares what value is left when selling, as I've gotten my money out of it.

Its possible all non-self driving, non-EV cars will be forced off the road by future legislation too ;) Who knows.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
But, I profess, like most true-blood TDI owners, that I'll own my car a looong, time. I'm thinking 150k minimum, assuming that it stays reliable. At that point, who cares what value is left when selling, as I've gotten my money out of it.
"True-blood" TDI owners think of 150K as just broken in. That's about when I replaced the original brake pads on IBW. it's now 15 years old with 347K on it. That's what we do. :D

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
I think you do, It wouldnt be nearly impossible to find the 2015 TDI with manulal transmission if it was holding the same value as 1.8T
"Past performance is not indicative of future results"
There's a reason for that disclaimer whenever you're talking about the future value of something.

Also, my family has had 4 or 5 gassers go over 300k miles. Original trans or clutches on them. No major repairs. You don't need a diesel to rack up high miles. They'll do it more efficiently, yes, but they also might blow a turbo or HPFP, something those gassers never had.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
You might have noticed that your 1.8T has a turbo. And a dual mass flywheel. And a timing chain that's not known for durability. Not sure your past performance is indicative of future results, either.

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
You might have noticed that your 1.8T has a turbo. And a dual mass flywheel. And a timing chain that's not known for durability. Not sure your past performance is indicative of future results, either.
Yep. Its a gamble. Its also not the same engine that has been used in past problem VWs. I hope that the worst issues are in the past.
The 1.8 seems good so far - the GTI/2.0 has blown some turbos, some stock, some tuned.

Some swear by VWs, some swear at them.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
And the 2.0 has a major issue with stretched timing chains causing piston to valve contact. And an issue with oil consumption. Recently my mechanic (small, two person shop) had three 2.0Ts towed in with bent valves, a three day period.

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
I believe that is not an MK7 issue
https://shopdap.com/2-0t-vw-and-audi-tsi-timing-chain-tensioner-problems/
http://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2016/volkswagen-timing-chain-tensioner-lawsuit.shtml

What vehicles are affected?

Its tough to be certain but all of our research has led us to believe that any 2.0t TSI engine up to 2013 should be checked.

I have not heard of any widespread issues, by reading VWVortex and GolfMK7

Keep trying to **** on the TSI, if you want, though.

This would be the TSI you should be referencing:
An article titled "VW’s Gasoline I-4 Impresses More Than Diesel Sibling"
http://wardsauto.com/technology/vw-s-gasoline-i-4-impresses-more-diesel-sibling

Last edited:

borke

TDI
2004 VW Jetta TDI
After calling to VW dealerships around the county not getting very many positives responses from the sales people, I finally contacted someone in Florida who knew of a NEW '15 Jetta TDI SE manual.
Not only did they offer the 5K manufacture's discount and 0% financing for 72 months, but also offered to fly me from Michigan to Florida, free of charge.
I was raised to think that if something sounds too good to be true - it is.
What are your thoughts?

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
I'd say the $18k new old stock GSW TDI I just bought (not leased) and that has an 11 year/162,000 mile fuel system and emissions warranty is a better value proposition than the same car in TSI.

I'm averaging 55.3 mpg (disclaimer: on the display) through 300 miles on the first tank. Needle around 55% fuel left.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
After calling to VW dealerships around the county not getting very many positives responses from the sales people, I finally contacted someone in Florida who knew of a NEW '15 Jetta TDI SE manual.
Not only did they offer the 5K manufacture's discount and 0% financing for 72 months, but also offered to fly me from Michigan to Florida, free of charge.
What are your thoughts?
You won't know until you try. I'd get a workup of the whole deal in writing emailed to you first. Make sure there are no games where the deal doesn't include destination or dealer fee. Get full disclosure of every line item.

I was given a lead here that a dealer (Ourisman Bethesda VW) was doing $7.5 to $8k off msrp on stop-sale GSWs and I was suspicious.

Until I signed for $8k off my new GSW TDI. A steal, imho. So happy.

PoundSand

TDI
none
What are your thoughts?
That's a couple hundred dollar throw in on a car they're getting their end of a full MSRP sale on (the rebate doesn't eat into their cut). What about that sounds too good to be true?

Yawiney

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW DSG
You won't know until you try. I'd get a workup of the whole deal in writing emailed to you first. Make sure there are no games where the deal doesn't include destination or dealer fee. Get full disclosure of every line item.

I was given a lead here that a dealer (Ourisman Bethesda VW) was doing $7.5 to $8k off msrp on stop-sale GSWs and I was suspicious.

Until I signed for $8k off my new GSW TDI. A steal, imho. So happy.
Definitely a steal. In CA they are starting around 28k before the rebate (and taxes and fees) for the S. I got them down to 24.9 after taxes. Ended up doing a lease which i will buy out after buyback of my current car and end up still paying 24.3 all said and done.

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6-speed manual; 2006 mkV Jetta TDI / 5-speed / Pkg 2
That's a couple hundred dollar throw in on a car they're getting their end of a full MSRP sale on (the rebate doesn't eat into their cut). What about that sounds too good to be true?
Probably the $800 doc fee they're going to tack on? I recall Florida being one of the "high" states for dealer doc fees.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Probably the $800 doc fee they're going to tack on? I recall Florida being one of the "high" states for dealer doc fees.
Maybe they don't understand the concept of "out the door." We bought our Passat at a dealer 200 miles away, in St. Louis. I was very polite, but made sure that the salesman understood very clearly that if there was one nickel on the invoice more than the price he quoted me, we would walk. Taxes were not an issue in this case, because we live in IL, so we paid the sales tax when we applied for title, etc.
Of course, the sales manager tried to sell us a $3K extended warranty, but an equally polite "No, thanks" took care of that.

csl223

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDI, 6sp Manual
^^ This!!!!

The dealers here are ridiculous with their added fees, most refuse to budge on them at all, and they definitely won't budge knowing they flew you down here and you can't easily walk away from the deal once they get you to the dealer!

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Best I was quoted so far was an additional $1000 discount after the $5000 VW incentive. Still more than I want to pay for an almost three year old car.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Best I was quoted so far was an additional $1000 discount after the $5000 VW incentive. Still more than I want to pay for an almost three year old car.
Most that I looked at on the lots were April-June 2015 builds on the door jam, so "almost two year old car" would be more accurate. I was thrilled to pay $8k off msrp and enjoy free financing for six years for the only year of the Mk7 TDI (and possibly final year ever) in the States. I had no real need for another car, but this deal was too good for me to pass up.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I think your right, this will be the only time that an MK7 is offered in North America with a TDI. I'm at the point where I don't need a new car or payment at this time. Add to it that the wife wants something bigger and easier to get in and out of for the next vehicle so the GSW doesn't fit unless the deal is too good to pass up. I haven't found that deal. I'd consider something for the $100 a month range but also want better seats than the S. That puts me off by about $3000 for an SE and $5000 for an SEL.