Dieselgate for tuned cars

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
I'll take all the aftermarket parts anyone is willing to trade, sell.. I see this as a boon for me.
:)

Luckily those of us with a Tune and OEM Exhaust should just have to pay the shop fee to get our tunes re-programmed after we accept the fix..[/QUOTE]

If your shop charges a fee. I suppose it depends on the relationship you have with the shop. I've never been charged by my tuner, and I even got a free retune for an O2 sensor delete on the Golf by fixmyvw, but I've also spent a lot of money with both businesses, so YMMV.

I still feel sorry for anyone with an aftermarket exhaust who wants the fix. Unless you go back to stock yourself and then go back to modified when the fix is done, you might end up with $1000-1500 after you account for labor. While you're still making a profit, IMO, it's not worth the trouble.

That's the way to do it. Trade your stock parts for their aftermarket parts.

If someone needs tires on a car they are not turning in (gassers, even) a person that just put new tires on the car they are turning in could swap with them for a little cash.

I have aftermarket headlights (Bi-Zenon projectors with LEDs, similar to Golfs) that I would like to sell before the car goes back. I've also got fog lights and a skid plate. VW has no use for them, so why waste it all?

What I would probably do, if the cars are going to be checked before being turned in, is go to the dealer and let them do the 2306 recall. That will wipe the tune, and should reset the count to not show it has been tuned.

I might have to do it before they do the "fix", should I choose to go that route. I guess we will have to see if they decide to care. That recall said that if your car is modified they would charge you to set it back to stock, but if it is merely tuned they just overwrite it.
The only thing I wonder is if they require a working DPF. My tuner thinks so, as I rode with him to a DFW-area dealer, as he picked up a brand new DPF for a customer who's doing the buyback (his DPF went out, and both the customer and my tuner think that VW will require a working DPF for the buyback, although nobody concretely knows the answer to this yet).

I don't think my DPF is good, but the rest of it should be. Glad I saved everything now.

I still think that a lot of us, especially the vendors, are wondering how many people will turn in their CR TDIs in the long run, since it will clearly hurt their sales (I mean, you can't rely on Mk3/4/5 sales of aftermarket and maintenance parts forever, as these cars keep getting older and older).

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I'll take all the aftermarket parts anyone is willing to trade, sell.. I see this as a boon for me.

I'd like to get some passat wheels and rims for my wife's 10 CC.. she needs new tires soon and her rims have seen better days.

Skid Plates, Short Shifters, Fuel Pump or 2Micron filter, so on and such forth I'll be happy to take.. if you intend to give your car back and its modified, let the community know and I bet you'll find a local willing to trade you OEM parts, and a little cash.. if you have good tires/rims trade those to a fellow Dubber before you give it back to VW.

Luckily those of us with a Tune and OEM Exhaust should just have to pay the shop fee to get our tunes re-programmed after we accept the fix..
I will have lots of Goodies for sale soon

tanner

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 BRM 5-Speed, 2013 Golf TDI 6-Speed, 2011 Golf TDI 6-Speed
I'm not making any rash decisions on VW buyback as of yet. I will not buy a dpf till I know I have to have one. Because if they aren't checking then they're getting the stage 2 car. If they check well, I'll make due by finding an old wrecked one and pull from it. I've put two dpf deletes on TDi's, but never tried to fit a dpf back on. Doesn't sound fun at all.

I know where a totaled TDi is, I heard the car was gutted, I just hope the exhaust is still there if needed.

I'd say do not buy a DPF till you know it's a guaranteed requirement.

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
If your shop charges a fee. I suppose it depends on the relationship you have with the shop. I've never been charged by my tuner, and I even got a free retune for an O2 sensor delete on the Golf by fixmyvw, but I've also spent a lot of money with both businesses, so YMMV.
My ECU cant be port-tuned, so to get re-programmed requires pulling out the rain tray, removing the ECU, cracking it open and then resealing it.. It'll be an hour of labor, and while Malone wont charge me to get my tune reinstalled the shop is going to expect some money for the time... I have no relationships w/any shops here, I do all my own wrenching and buy parts online.. I suppose I could remove it my self and mail it to Malone but overnighting it both ways would probably be the same as an hour of labor.

If I had an early MK6 that could be port tuned, I dont believe any shop would charge me for the 2mins of work to reinstall it.

The GoodWill cash paid for my tune, so I dont mind paying the shop fee... I knew a reprogram was very likely and asked all these questions before pulling the trigger when I did.

Last edited:

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
Keeping my 2015 Golf TDI SEL and taking the $7400 cash. :)
NO cash until FIX... if no FIX then you can a) sell it back or b) opt out (no cash)

All of you with "tuned" cars are subject to federal fines. Good luck. I suggest you all just opt out and drive on or go back to stock...

Last edited:

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
Just throwing this out there for comments.

If we, and that's a big IF, decide to go for the buyback, or are forced to surrender the car, do you think anyone in the process will notice that I have replaced the CP4 with a CP3?

The rest of the car is stock other than the RC tune.
A mechanic who worked on VW TDI's will... I know the difference from this
forum, but not sure what it looks like in person. Any mod voids the
warranty, but to the point sell back, returning it... don't know.

mzg

TDI
2011 VW GOLF TDI
Has anyone gotten their actual buyback price? I was told that the site was suppose to be working today to get exact buyback amount, however I don't see the option to enter my miles and year to get exact amount.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Has anyone gotten their actual buyback price? I was told that the site was suppose to be working today to get exact buyback amount, however I don't see the option to enter my miles and year to get exact amount.
Have you read anything???
Today was the Final acceptance by the Judge! They now have until Oct 18 for the next step! Nothing will happen until at least then!!

mzg

TDI
2011 VW GOLF TDI
so is the attorney I am working with telling me wrong? he said that today they were suppose to have a site ready for us to enter our info in and get our buyback amounts.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
My ECU cant be port-tuned, so to get re-programmed requires pulling out the rain tray, removing the ECU, cracking it open and then resealing it.. It'll be an hour of labor, and while Malone wont charge me to get my tune reinstalled the shop is going to expect some money for the time... I have no relationships w/any shops here, I do all my own wrenching and buy parts online.. I suppose I could remove it my self and mail it to Malone but overnighting it both ways would probably be the same as an hour of labor.

If I had an early MK6 that could be port tuned, I dont believe any shop would charge me for the 2mins of work to reinstall it.

The GoodWill cash paid for my tune, so I dont mind paying the shop fee... I knew a reprogram was very likely and asked all these questions before pulling the trigger when I did.
You could also pull the ecu yourself and bring that to your mechanic/malone dealer. Might save you a few bucks. Les at GDM had mine pulled, tuned, and reinstalled in less than 20 minutes.

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
All of you with "tuned" cars are subject to federal fines. Good luck. I suggest you all just opt out and drive on or go back to stock...
just add it to the list of unenforceable [federal] laws I break all the time.. now where did I leave my bong.. :rolleyes:

If they cant deny warranty work due to the presence of a 'tune' they wont reject eligibility on this program.. and returning it to 'stock' is not possible, a stock tune will still show it was a modified tune.. since they are changing the exhaust, I can see how not having the OEM exhaust will be a problem for anyone getting the fix.. but just a software tune will not prevent you from claiming the payout.

@turbobrick240, the minimum charge was an hour of shop time.. even if it takes 20mins.. they said I'd have to pay it again, iirc it was like $120.. no big deal to get the payout and retain performance.

Last edited:

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI

It actually takes about 15-20 minutes to program it through the OBD2 port; I want to say bench flashing takes about an hour. Definitely not a 2 minute job.

You could also pull the ecu yourself and bring that to your mechanic/malone dealer. Might save you a few bucks. Les at GDM had mine pulled, tuned, and reinstalled in less than 20 minutes.
Is it a pain in the ass to remove? Yes. Is it hard? Not at all. Since I'm guessing yours was bench flashed at some point, you hopefully won't have the security bracket with mushroom top bolts. If you do, use a dremel on it so you can unscrew it with a flathead screwdriver.

Last edited:

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
I think the feds will crack down on those who are illegally smoking pot in WA and OR before they crack down on those of us with tuned/DPF deleted TDIs, since technically, both are federally illegal.

just add it to the list of unenforceable [federal] laws I break all the time.. now where did I leave my bong.. :rolleyes:
Ha, I just saw this after I put my post. My point exactly!

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It actually takes about 15-20 minutes to program it through the OBD2 port; I want to say bench flashing takes about an hour. Definitely not a 2 minute job.

Is it a pain in the ass to remove? Yes. Is it hard? Not at all. Since I'm guessing yours was bench flashed at some point, you hopefully won't have the security bracket with mushroom top bolts. If you do, use a dremel on it so you can unscrew it with a flathead screwdriver.
It's really no sweat to remove. When I did it the first time, it took me maybe 15 minutes to remove. Bench flashing is just as quick if not quicker than obd port flashing, afaik. Defintely doesn't take anywhere near an hour.

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
an hour was just the minimum charge, it didnt take an hour to get my tune originally.. thats why I called it a 'shop fee', I paid it in addition to the tune when I got tuned originally.. might depend on the shop but if they are busy then your taking away time they could be working on another customer.. if they are not busy, they need to make rent.. if I had to pay the whole price over again I would.

20mins of waiting for the files to transfer is not 20mins of work.. they could walk away and eat there lunch or take a break while thats going on.. 2mins was generous for plugging in a computer and pressing start.

Its just a small shop, just 2 mechanics.. the only other dealer in the area is big, but they tried to tell me the tune required a DPF delete and quoted me a couple grand for a new exhaust, so I blew em off.

Last edited:

mzg

TDI
2011 VW GOLF TDI
From what I found out as long as the veh makes it to the dealer they will take it as is no deductions for anything other then miles. So if you have a bad turbo or any mechanical issues brakes/ect anything like that as long as it makes it to the dealer they will buy it back. Correct me if I'm wrong.

GetMore

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI, 2010 Jetta Sportwagen
As far as I know you are correct.

As to the question about the website, I believe it was today that it would be up, and it is.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
From what I found out as long as the veh makes it to the dealer they will take it as is no deductions for anything other then miles. So if you have a bad turbo or any mechanical issues brakes/ect anything like that as long as it makes it to the dealer they will buy it back. Correct me if I'm wrong.

This is pretty funny - the question asking if the car drives under power of its TDI engine. Guess that means someone can't keep the engine and throw in a Harbor Freight V-twin.

clark246810

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI, DSG Golf Sport Wagon
I've been a TDI guy for nearly 20 years but I'm throwing in the towel at this point and I'd like to do the buyback option. Now I'm unsure how to proceed...I don't want to spend the time/money to replace the HPFP at my own expense just to sell the car back to VW in a few months...but I also don't want to keep it. It's been decent over the span of nearly 200k, but every problem it does have is either expensive, complex, or both. Great car overall, but I'm tired of it.

. My sentiments exactly!
My cure?
Get the new 3.0 factory tune for the engine, suspension and transmission (this tune turns your trans into an 8 speed) and keep my warranty and meet epa guidelines all the while I put my 3.5 tuned jetta TDI on the side of the house in the weeds until 1.) vw cuts me a check. 2) I sell it to one of you guys. or 3) I say _uck it, what difference does it make its just a bunch of metal and plastic and I drive it into the ground then throw it away in the trash.

What is the new 3.0 factory tune you ask????
2015, audi A6 3.0 TDI Quattro STRONIC . 10,000 miles

I do not like these cars being bogged down with emissions but I don't want a gasser either, so I am stuck with these pieces of **** until someone can make something more refined then the AUDI A6 3.0 TDI Quattro STRONIC .
I am putting my deposit down on one as I type, problem solved.

I have a 2009 TDI 3.5 tune DSG, 125k, runs like crazy fun, but like all addictions I have hit a plateau and need a bigger fix..........oh well maybe VW/AUDI ANONYMOUS 12 step meetings might help me!!!

Last edited:

splash07s

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI 6M
For what it is worth I am wanting to set up a deal with someone to swap stock parts for DPF and EGR delete (prefer rawtek). Ideally I will get the fix and my cash then take off all the stock parts and send to you. let me know. I am also interested in short shifters, aftermarket lights, brake calipers, wheels, pretty much anything just let me know what you might be watning to part with before you sell you car to the Devil....I mean VW

mydecember1985

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW 6MT ;2011 JSW (buy-back May 2017)
Well, I just got off the phone with the VW 1-800 CLAIM number. I asked a series of questions saying that I had a cracked DPF which was recently replaced with a cheap test pipe until the settlement was nearing its final stages and I knew what would be happening to the car. (Lied, I am bone-stock *tears*)

So he was still quite unsure of the "fix" requiring the car to be 100% stock setup. He barely knew what a DPF was. He actually kept repeating "...when your bring it in for the fix, *if one is approved*, VW wil...blah blah blah" BUT he repeated that phrase like 4 times through the conversation. Which leads me to wonder if VW really has intent on fixing these cars. This is wild speculation but it makes sense in my mind. Some reasons why:
1st gens make up majority of the affected vehicles
$5-8k payout mfor fix for most of us
labor associated with fix and recalling 350k+ vehicles
costs of in-warranty repair of these vehicles under extended warranty

^^All this makes me think that the right business decision for VW would be to just buy them all back and part them out. The costs and risks associated with the fix may well be much more than the buyback!! Again, speculation, but let me know what you think.

He was however quite sure of the buyback being "operable" and that's pretty much it. He politely said that you could limp it into the dealership and they buy it back.

SOOOOOO, being this is a tuning thread, if you're heading for the buyback, you DO NOT need to reinstall the DPF. For those heading for the fix, I had read in the court document that the emissions system needed to be intact to get full payout (as you are all talking about), but the guy was clueless about this specific question. So that's still up in the air.

Now I am leaning towards buyback, but can someone point me to a tuner in the Florida area? Prefer Orlando/Tampa. I want to do a Rawtek DPF delete and Malone tune. If there are non in this area, what's a good one near Atlanta? I'll ditch my car at the shop when I road-trip to visit my sister up in ATL.
If I go for buyback and the fix in fact never comes to fruition, at least I'll have some fun in the 2 years until they get it back from me.

mydecember1985

Veteran Member
TDI
I had mine done at AAARodriguez just north of Atlanta. http://www.malonetuning.com/dealers/aarodriguez. I don't think there are any dealers in the Orlando area.
Thanks. That shop is only 8 miles from my sister's place!! I just sent him an email. Does he do installs? Part of the email was asking a basic quote on Out-The-Door cost for stage 2 and rawtek downpipe w/ high flow cat installed (no DSG tune)
Someone at my works speaks highly of John Vega from http://www.phearable.net/, but I can't find anything about him working on TDIs. He tuned my coworkers 96 Honda hatch on 25psi :rolleyes::D
Anyone have a thread they can point me to for approximate costs? I'd like to keep it under 2k, but I know parts and tune alone will put me at $1500

Bisoned

Banned
TDI
13 Passat
Anybody who performed a DPF delete or anything to bypass the emissions systems in place should get nothing. They should have to pay to put the car into compliance.

Complete double standards if they take it in to get fixed and collect the compensation $$ only to return the car back to the "tuned" state.

I wouldn't be surprised if VW were to check all systems when people who took the fix bring the car in for warranty work.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I wish the anti-tune trolls would stay in their holes. This thread is for people w tuned vehicles, not crybabies who can't mind their own business.

mydecember1985

Veteran Member
TDI
I'll have all my parts. I don't have to "pay" anything. Just spend 6 hours in the burning sun trying to get the DPF back in there.

grawk

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 JSW TDI (used)
Anybody who performed a DPF delete or anything to bypass the emissions systems in place should get nothing. They should have to pay to put the car into compliance.

Complete double standards if they take it in to get fixed and collect the compensation $$ only to return the car back to the "tuned" state.

I wouldn't be surprised if VW were to check all systems when people who took the fix bring the car in for warranty work.
because it's better for the environment for them to not get the fix? Because it's better for the environment to stay on the road as is? Way to go, you're why people ignore the rules because they're made by people who can't understand the big picture.

mydecember1985

Veteran Member
TDI
because it's better for the environment for them to not get the fix? Because it's better for the environment to stay on the road as is? Way to go, you're why people ignore the rules because they're made by people who can't understand the big picture.
Noob joined after the news broke. EPA employee that's mad they're part of the problem at hand??

Actually, that's be a hilarious twist of fate if one of the higher-ups in this settlement was like an A6 TDI driver or something. :eek::D Oh, the irony!