Any info on Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40?

SFHGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jolf GLS TDI - Reflex Silver (purchased 2011) | Previously: 2001 Golf GL TDI - Indigo Blue (sold 2005)
I'm guessing this is the older CI-4 not the CJ-4, but I'm not sure what the difference would be. EDIT: Nevermind, I misread and thought this was an old thread. That is clearly an ESP UOA.

On a side note, if you are ordering or buying this, look on the bottle and make sure it is the ESP CJ-4 version (newer spec). When I went to pick up mine, I had 4 bottles of ESP, and one that looked different and was the CI-4 spec on the back (did not say ESP). I'm not sure it matters much, but I had them switch it out anyway just so all my bottles were the same (had to wait a day for another bottle to come in though).

SFHGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jolf GLS TDI - Reflex Silver (purchased 2011) | Previously: 2001 Golf GL TDI - Indigo Blue (sold 2005)
As far as I know, neither Mobil 1 TDT nor Delvac 1 ESP have ever contained moly.

Just as an experiment (and I know this is frowned upon by some), I plan on running half a can of LM Mos2 with my next oil change with TDT.

SFHGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Isnt moly a necessity?
Why would it be a necessity? It is just one ingredient that can go into an additive pack. The oil manufacturer uses whatever additives work together to meet the spec. There is no magic ingredient. In fact even Liqui Moly brand oils don't have moly in most of their oils.

SFHGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Good observation. I called on Friday and they said the shipment will arrive in the afternoon. Went there Sunday and I was told that sorry it has not arrived :mad: However the clerk brought some 'old' bottles that were not CJ-4/ESP. It might not be an issue but I prefer the 'fresh oil' so I will have to make another trip now that they call me and my order has arrived.

I'm guessing this is the older CI-4 not the CJ-4, but I'm not sure what the difference would be. EDIT: Nevermind, I misread and thought this was an old thread. That is clearly an ESP UOA.

On a side note, if you are ordering or buying this, look on the bottle and make sure it is the ESP CJ-4 version (newer spec). When I went to pick up mine, I had 4 bottles of ESP, and one that looked different and was the CI-4 spec on the back (did not say ESP). I'm not sure it matters much, but I had them switch it out anyway just so all my bottles were the same (had to wait a day for another bottle to come in though).

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
As far as I know, neither Mobil 1 TDT nor Delvac 1 ESP have ever contained moly.

Just as an experiment (and I know this is frowned upon by some), I plan on running half a can of LM Mos2 with my next oil change with TDT.
It would help if you would specify WHICH TDI you're going to experiment with:).

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
Not only frown upon but it could be considered 'lubrication sacrilege' :eek: in various forums.
At this point and from what I have gathered (personal research) the only risk of this experiment could be to your wallet but at only $6 a bottle it is not that painful.
Please do post back any feedback you may have (of course if you can measure any changes then more power to you).

SFHGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I see so what ur saying is drive more/ worry less?
Well, not really. Just saying that there are many more factors when considering which oil to choose than whether or not it contains moly.

Not only frown upon but it could be considered 'lubrication sacrilege' :eek: in various forums.
At this point and from what I have gathered (personal research) the only risk of this experiment could be to your wallet but at only $6 a bottle it is not that painful.
Please do post back any feedback you may have (of course if you can measure any changes then more power to you).
Thanks for the link. I've done quite a bit of reading there and elsewhere and and couldn't find anything conclusive.

It would help if you would specify WHICH TDI you're going to experiment with:).
I only have a 2002 ALH Golf. The other car is a Jeep Liberty CRD (which I might plan to subject to the same experiment). I do UOAs on both so I think I have a good baseline.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
Picked up my order today (Pep Boys organization and customer service is nothing to brag about frankly). it was refreshing to be able to do a complete paperless rebate. Let's see how it goes. Thanks for sharing the info on the rebate.

SFHGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Picked up my order today (Pep Boys organization and customer service is nothing to brag about frankly). it was refreshing to be able to do a complete paperless rebate. Let's see how it goes. Thanks for sharing the info on the rebate.
Haha. Indeed about Pep Boys. Here's hoping we see our rebates. I've done one before from Mobil and did receive it, though I believe I printed and mailed. Maybe I should have done that this time also to have "evidence."

Van Wylder

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta sedan 5 spd. 03 Jetta wagon 5 spd.
Haha. Indeed about Pep Boys. Here's hoping we see our rebates. I've done one before from Mobil and did receive it, though I believe I printed and mailed. Maybe I should have done that this time also to have "evidence."
I'm in the same boat, and am awaiting confirmation from Mobil. Either way, getting 5 gallons for about 100 is still decent. 5 for 50 would be better.

poormanq45

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta BEW/2006 Jetta BRM
I just seen this oil in the store and read the label. It is supposed to be heavy duty oil. What about Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck with the same viscosity? They are both full synthetic. The Delvac is approved by more manufactures. It's just confusing. Does the Delvac have differant additives for big diesel engines like semi trucks? I currently use Rotela T6 but the store I seen the Delvac at had it priced for $27.99 for a gallon with a $12.00 rebate limit 5. The T6 is currently $19.99 with a $5.00 rebate soo about the same price.
Order Delvac on the pepboys site for in store pickup using code SECRET30.

For me the cost comes to $104 - $60 rebate.

I placed two separate orders of 5 gallons each. This is an insanely good deal.

SFHGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Order Delvac on the pepboys site for in store pickup using code SECRET30.

For me the cost comes to $104 - $60 rebate.

I placed two separate orders of 5 gallons each. This is an insanely good deal.
I'm not sure you could get the rebate on two separate orders. I think the 5-gallon limit applies to a "household"or address, so you might get one of the 5-gallon rebates voided. Still a really good price though.

poormanq45

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm not sure you could get the rebate on two separate orders. I think the 5-gallon limit applies to a "household"or address, so you might get one of the 5-gallon rebates voided. Still a really good price though.
One order goes to the parent's house and the other to our house.

I've done it many times before. The "limit" is more of a guideline. ;)

SFHGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
One order goes to the parent's house and the other to our house.

I've done it many times before. The "limit" is more of a guideline. ;)
Yes, that should work! If I needed 10 gallons, I'd probably do that, but at the rate I drive it will take me years to go through just the 5 gallons.

poormanq45

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, that should work! If I needed 10 gallons, I'd probably do that, but at the rate I drive it will take me years to go through just the 5 gallons.
We've got 5 vehicles that use 15w40 or 5w40.

2005 Jetta BEW
2006 Jetta BRM
2003 Suzuki sv650s
2004 Suzuki sv650
2008 Suzuki LTR450

The wet clutches in the bikes LOVE diesel oil.

10 gallons usually lasts us about 6-9 months.

tydaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2003 GLI, 2003 TDI Wagon, 2010 TDI Sportwagen, 2010 Touareg v6TDI, 2005 TDI Wagon, current - 2006 v10TDI
We've got 5 vehicles that use 15w40 or 5w40.

2005 Jetta BEW
2006 Jetta BRM
2003 Suzuki sv650s
2004 Suzuki sv650
2008 Suzuki LTR450

The wet clutches in the bikes LOVE diesel oil.

10 gallons usually lasts us about 6-9 months.
Yup. I used Rotella t6 in my tl1000r, r1, 1000rr, and gsxr750. They all did well on it.

poormanq45

Veteran Member
TDI
Interestingly enough, the ship to home order arrived yesterday. The in store pickup still hasn't been processed.

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
4 gals from Pep Boys online with free shipping. $133 w/tax less $48 rebate.