Dieselgate, The Canadian Edition

joey003

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline
I just got the "Claims Portal - Documents Complete" email, although my documents have been in complete state since May 6. Is this normal or just another glitch?
Probably another glitch. I got that email this evening as well, at the same time as an email with an offer.

Lucsar

Veteran Member
TDI
Returned to VW: 2015 Passat Highline DSG EarlyLease Termination
Probably another glitch. I got that email this evening as well, at the same time as an email with an offer.
Hope I'm haven't missed something here. A couple of nights ago I got one email in the late evening telling me my documents are complete, then immediately the following morning telling me docs have been approved and contain all the necessary information ... I don't recall anywhere seeing an attachment or offer letter anywhere. Are the "offer emails" quite specific and easy to distinguish ? Or are they buried in the repetitive nonsense and useless messages that have been sent out?
TIA

joey003

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline
Hope I'm haven't missed something here. A couple of nights ago I got one email in the late evening telling me my documents are complete, then immediately the following morning telling me docs have been approved and contain all the necessary information ... I don't recall anywhere seeing an attachment or offer letter anywhere. Are the "offer emails" quite specific and easy to distinguish ? Or are they buried in the repetitive nonsense and useless messages that have been sent out?
TIA
Definitely specific and noticeable. The subject on them is "Claims Portal - Offer Package Complete".

You'll also see it if you log in.

Steve Ferrous

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI, 2011 Golf TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI (gone), 2000 Jetta TDI (gone), 1991 Diesel Jetta (gone)
Actually it is different and very unfair. They should have given it for buying any other car, instead it is only offered if you buy another VW. Not fair!
Aciduzzu; the tax saving IS available; just trade your car in on the vehicle of your choice. There, fixed it for you.

Armby

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf
Aciduzzu; the tax saving IS available; just trade your car in on the vehicle of your choice. There, fixed it for you.
I am not sure if you are trying to be difficult. You are not going to get the buyback value from another dealer.

What could have happened is that VW could have been compelled to offer a mechanism where TDI owners could do the buy back with trade in at other dealers who then return the car to VW for the trade in value.

alexvtr

TDI
2014 TDI
Just a word of encouragement for all the other leasees around here: All my documents were approved, I signed and uploaded back the offer and the waiver and a few hours later, I set my appointment for early lease termination.
There are no instruction tho on how to setup the regular inspection. I'll have to find out.

dsldub

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Wagon TDI
I am not sure if you are trying to be difficult. You are not going to get the buyback value from another dealer.

What could have happened is that VW could have been compelled to offer a mechanism where TDI owners could do the buy back with trade in at other dealers who then return the car to VW for the trade in value.

:rolleyes: Then stop whining. All the post from you so far have all been negative. Move on....

icecoaster

TDI
2012 Golf Wagon
There's someone on the FB group claiming to be a claims administrator. She posted:

"have no signs of significant damage or vandalism/stripping. If there is significant damage, must provide a police or insurance report to prove the damage wasn't deliberate."

I call BS on this. Is this in the actual settlement document? I looked through it and found nothing. But then again, it's difficult to search since some of the docs are just scans and not machine readable pdf.

The problem with her claim is - what is "significant damage"? Who assesses or interprets that? All four of my wheels are chewed up from hitting curbs. That's $1000 right there. Is that significant? I'm sure I have at least another $2k in dents and scratches.

YCdubber

TDI
2010 Golf Wagon Comfortline TDI
There's someone on the FB group claiming to be a claims administrator. She posted:
"have no signs of significant damage or vandalism/stripping. If there is significant damage, must provide a police or insurance report to prove the damage wasn't deliberate."
I call BS on this. Is this in the actual settlement document? I looked through it and found nothing. But then again, it's difficult to search since some of the docs are just scans and not machine readable pdf.
The problem with her claim is - what is "significant damage"? Who assesses or interprets that? All four of my wheels are chewed up from hitting curbs. That's $1000 right there. Is that significant? I'm sure I have at least another $2k in dents and scratches.
My parents are turning in their Jetta in a few hours and the quarter panel is absolutely destroyed and taillight also busted, I am sure that's well over 2k in repairs and they answered no over the 2k accidental damage question on the form. I'll let you know how it goes later this afternoon.

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2012 TDI Highline Manual
My parents are turning in their Jetta in a few hours and the quarter panel is absolutely destroyed and taillight also busted, I am sure that's well over 2k in repairs and they answered no over the 2k accidental damage question on the form. I'll let you know how it goes later this afternoon.
Please do.
I wonder if hey have any contact with insurance companies to see what kind of damages have been logged against the vin's.

icecoaster

TDI
2012 Golf Wagon
That would be very interesting indeed.

We all know about the stripping cases in the US and the judge ruling against them for acting in bad faith. That is legitimate.

But, to reject a claim because of accidental damage, no matter how severe, is not legitimate. As long as the car arrives under its own power. That is all that's in the settlement, AFAIK.

If I were your parents, I wouldn't leave until the cheque was handed over.

icecoaster

TDI
2012 Golf Wagon
Please do.
I wonder if hey have any contact with insurance companies to see what kind of damages have been logged against the vin's.
A simple CarProof report would show that. But do they really have the time and resources to run those reports on 1000s of vehicles?

richyrich

TDI
2014 Touareg, 2015 Sportwagon (gone to the big emissions-lot in the sky)
Just a word of encouragement for all the other leasees around here: All my documents were approved, I signed and uploaded back the offer and the waiver and a few hours later, I set my appointment for early lease termination.
There are no instruction tho on how to setup the regular inspection. I'll have to find out.
What is a "regular inspection" and why would anything else be needed? The one-pager they gave me when I signed up for my appointment says there will be an "end-of-lease inspection" and this will surely happen when I go back with it. Aside from that there's a checklist of the five other things required, none of which are additional inspections..?

Lucsar

Veteran Member
TDI
Returned to VW: 2015 Passat Highline DSG EarlyLease Termination
Thanks for posting this Alex . If I recall correctly, in the USA the people who were leasing were instructed to bring there vehicle to a location to have the end if lease inspection before turn in prior to their appt where they give the vehicle back for good. Once they determined all was good and there was no damage or mileage limits exceeded, you brought your vehicle back a the original apart date for early lease termination. Sorry if it sounds confusing but I think that's how it goes...

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2012 TDI Highline Manual
A simple CarProof report would show that. But do they really have the time and resources to run those reports on 1000s of vehicles?
I guess the only reason I ask.....is that I can see some people saying No (even thought it should have been a Yes) is not to prolong the process of their claim.
Comes down to patience...we all lack it. lol

icecoaster

TDI
2012 Golf Wagon
I guess the only reason I ask.....is that I can see some people saying No (even thought it should have been a Yes) is not to prolong the process of their claim.
Comes down to patience...we all lack it. lol
It's a difficult question to answer. How do I know if I have $2k in damage? I am not a vehicle appraiser or collision repair expert.

alexvtr

TDI
2014 TDI
What is a "regular inspection" and why would anything else be needed? The one-pager they gave me when I signed up for my appointment says there will be an "end-of-lease inspection" and this will surely happen when I go back with it. Aside from that there's a checklist of the five other things required, none of which are additional inspections..?
If you're familiar with usual end of lease procedures, you know that usually 1 or 2 months before you return your car, an independent firm (IIRC called AutoVIN) comes to you and assesses the condition of the car. If wear is considered excessive, they tell you and provide an estimate of the charge you'll have upon returning the car. This gives you time to have it fixed for cheaper yourself.
If under this Ricepoint procedure no assessment of the car is done prior to the actual appointment and the car is considered excessively damaged by an inspection AFTER it was returned, how can one avoid paying full price for a few scratches that coud be fixed for cheap?

kodered

TDI
2012 Jetta
Anyone with an denied offer letter due to Rice's mistake receive a new offer yet?

Mine was denied because they made a mistake with the mileage in the letter. Been calling them almost daily for updates/escalations/etc. but have had the same response since May 11th about them drafting me a new offer.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
Anyone with an denied offer letter due to Rice's mistake receive a new offer yet?
Mine was denied because they made a mistake with the mileage in the letter. Been calling them almost daily for updates/escalations/etc. but have had the same response since May 11th about them drafting me a new offer.
Same thing here. The guy I spoke with this morning gave me 4 different excuses in the same breath... I may have gotten a wee bit disgruntled :rolleyes:

kodered

TDI
2012 Jetta
Sounds like the fellow I got yesterday:

"There may be a case where instead of stating a buyout value of $20,000 it was $200,000."

"There may be outstanding parking tickets on your vehicle denying your claim."

"We have 90 - 120 days to provide you with an offer, as per the court proceedings."

"There are no supervisors available but I can schedule a call back with one in 3 - 5 business days."

"There are currently 3 open escalations on your account. The system will not let me raise another one."

giovanni1

TDI
Trendline Sportwagon
LOL.... I got all the same excuses the other day when I called.

Same old, same old... "there was a problem with your letter so it had to go back and a new one was made up..."

Well I told him that when the letter goes back because of an error on your end it cannot go to the bottom of the pile again for re-writing!!!

They took my cell number and said it would take 3-5 business days for a Supervisor to call me back.
I am on day 3 right now.....cant wait to call them back in 2 days!

kodered

TDI
2012 Jetta
I think they record every time you call because the guy today was writing down all my info and asked me to spell out everything. I asked him if he just wanted my ref number, followed by my info as confirmation, and he said no. Mentioned this is the way they are handling calls.

Should spend one of my slow days at work calling them back every hour to see what comes of it. See how many times the story changes.

YCdubber

TDI
Please do.
Update, my parents are still at the dealership, Fried rice messed up and sent them a cheque for a buyback instead a trade in. Now they either have to drive back home 3.5 hours away and start the process again or bite the bullet and lose the trade in tax savings. Luckily its only about 450$ so they will take the hit.
I suggested they get the dealer to drop the price down to compensate, but its not the dealers fault so they won't go for it.
sales person is now trying to sell them the 10 year warranty for 3700$, I advised against it since they already have a better warranty on the emissions system which covers the more pricey bits anyway.
A side from that, looks like it was going well, no issues with the damage to the body or tail light. Car also on winter steelies with expired registration and safety check.

joey003

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline
Update, my parents are still at the dealership, Fried rice messed up and sent them a cheque for a buyback instead a trade in. Now they either have to drive back home 3.5 hours away and start the process again or bite the bullet and lose the trade in tax savings. Luckily its only about 450$ so they will take the hit.
I suggested they get the dealer to drop the price down to compensate, but its not the dealers fault so they won't go for it.
sales person is now trying to sell them the 10 year warranty for 3700$, I advised against it since they already have a better warranty on the emissions system which covers the more pricey bits anyway.
A side from that, looks like it was going well, no issues with the damage to the body or tail light. Car also on winter steelies with expired registration and safety check.
That's terrible. Damn. Thanks for keeping us updated.

Nice to hear the dealer is still acting like a dealer.

mxs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
That's just terrible .... on many fronts.

YCdubber

TDI
That's terrible. Damn. Thanks for keeping us updated.
Nice to hear the dealer is still acting like a dealer.
transaction complete, the dealer actually ended up lowering the price of the warranty to help compensate for the tax credit loss. Apparently they had already discounted the starting price of the warranty so they decided to take it when offered the additional discount.

Perhaps they would have lowered the warranty price anyway if they would have stood their ground even if ricepoint wouldn't have messed up, who knows.

Either way, they are happy to be in their new car and for this to be over. Now if I could only have my turn, 21 days stuck on green checkmarks, submitted on the same day as my parents.

haunruh

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 GOLF TDI/DSG Wagon
Well, I'm back to Step 8 ... changed from "Buyback with Trade" to just "Buyback". So, now I'm sitting on 15 with the blue eyes. Lucky me ... NOT!!!