NJ Inspection

mr.shooty

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI Gone. 2018 Golf R
Well, I just got the Golf inspected at the MVC center. Its the first one since I bought the car new. They scanned its bar code, plugged it into the OBD reader, so got my sticker, and sent me on my way! I asked the tester if they were looking for VIN#'s, or emissions testing affected cars, and they said no. So if they don't intend to emissions test these cars, how do they know they've been fixed? Either way, I was quite happy not to have any problems.

vr6chris

TDI
'10 JSW S 2.5L 6mt
All they check for nowadays in NJ is to make sure there are no DTCs and that readiness is set. They might visually inspect for a catalyst on gas cars, but I'm not even sure about that.

dmarsingill

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Sportwagen Turned in , 2000 Z3 Coupe, 2003 Ford Expedition
Well, I just got the Golf inspected at the MVC center. Its the first one since I bought the car new. They scanned its bar code, plugged it into the OBD reader, so got my sticker, and sent me on my way! I asked the tester if they were looking for VIN#'s, or emissions testing affected cars, and they said no. So if they don't intend to emissions test these cars, how do they know they've been fixed? Either way, I was quite happy not to have any problems.
Emissions tests are just money makers. They only check for readiness and current codes. They could do that wireless.....for free.

Donald

bobt2382

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
Had my 2nd NJ inspection on my 2010 TDI in Jan 2017. No issues whatsoever. I agree, mainly a money grab to keep a few state employees on the payroll, IMHO.