Temperature Gauge - VW Vanagon TDI 1.9L ALH swap

Rebubula

TDI
'91 Vanagon 1.9L TDI ALH
Hello,
I am seeking your help with installing a temperature gauge on my 1991 VW Vanagon TDI 1.9L ALH swap. I spoke with my mechanic and he isn't quite sure how it should be done. Can anyone help?

Also, before I swapped the motor, I installed an oil pressure gauge that I would like to connect as well but not sure the process with the different motor.

Thanks,
Matt

Zeitgeist

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Variant and Vanagon mTDI
As I mentioned on the Samba, the stock 2WD WBX temp sender fits right into the rear cylinder head coolant flange. The same WBX install kit for oil pressure sending units also fits the ALH, and just uses the spare port on the side of the oil filter housing.

Hasenwerk

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
The resistance value for the TDI water temperature senders are different that what Volkswagen used for the Vanagon / MK1 / MK2.

As the Vanagon's water temperature gauge is just a needle with no temperature markings on it, it is more valuable to use it to tell when things are going wrong, rather than the temperature of the coolant as really you have no idea unlike he MK4 and later where the needle sits on 90C which even then isn't 100% correct!

The simplest thing to do is install a 100 ohm resistor in series with the stock temp sender. I use a 100 ohm potentiometer with my conversions to "dial it in" to where one would normally expect the needle to sit.

I don't change out the original TDI sender as the "other half" of it goes to the ECU and that is calibrated for the ECU to control when the glow plugs come on and to when to reduce power when thing get too hot, which I say is more important than information given to the driver's gauge.