Should I Do the 80k Tran Svce?

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
I plan on doing a BB in Sept 2018, or thereabouts. By that time, I'll probably have about 95k miles on my car, give or take. Wondering if it's worth spending the money on the 80k trans svce - it's coming up very soon. I've always maintained the car meticulously, but with the BB the facts have changed.

Would an extra 15k miles on the transmission without a service really be problem? Would I be putting myself at undue risk of a major trans problem? My gut tells me the answers to both these questions are "no".

Thanks.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
There are many reports on TDI Club of people who have gone tens of thousands of miles past the recommended service mileage, with no negative consequences.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
<snip>Would an extra 15k miles on the transmission without a service really be problem? Would I be putting myself at undue risk of a major trans problem? My gut tells me the answers to both these questions are "no".
Thanks.

I am in agreement with your gut. We'll do the buyback at the very end, and our Passat will probably have gone over the 80K by then, although I don't expect by much. I don't plan on touching the transmission. I'm normally a stickler for maintenance, but not in this case. And I did the 40K service myself, which is not all that difficult, and of course considerably less expensive to DIY.

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
Not to tell you what to do but I had a buddy who never did a single transmission oil change on his 2010 Jetta Sportwagen with 93k miles on it, which was running just fine when it's involved in an accident. And he declared himself a knowledgeable TDI fun. LOL.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
I used what was left on the dealer goodwill card to buy a DSG change kit.
It will be hard not to do the fluid change since it's basically free now!
But to answer your question, you should be fine ignoring it for 15k miles.

earlyd

TDI
2009 JSW TDI
I just turned in my 2009 with 134,000 miles. The last DSG service was around 80,000 and due again at 120,000. I also skipped the timing belt due at 120,000. I was a bit nervous, especially about the timing belt, but it worked out fine.

dopechess

TDI
2013 A3
No.. no need to do the tranny oil change. you'll be fine.. you're car won't blow up.

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
On a related note, I will be doing the 80k oil change, but could I, should I, skip the 90k oil change (assuming I do the BB at 95k)?

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
Shouldn't be too much an issue but I wouldn't save the money on an oil change.

Motodude

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 q7tdi. 2012 q7tdi
I didnt change the oil on mine from 78,000 miles till I turned it in and it then had 119,900 miles. Obviously I didnt do any other service either. I did top the oil off a couple times. It ran great when I turned it in.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
On a related note, I will be doing the 80k oil change, but could I, should I, skip the 90k oil change (assuming I do the BB at 95k)?

So, since this involves a change of topic, I'm assuming you are referring to the engine oil change at 90K. I don't know how far you plan to run over that before you turn it in, but the common wisdom in this forum seems to be to follow the 10K OC intervals. That's what I do, in any case, and if I was going to run, say, 5K over, I'd do the change.
There is another point of view, however, and that is that the OC intervals on these engines in Europe seem to be significantly longer, on the order of 30K Km (15K miles or so). But it's your car, your choice, your consequences.

111R

TDI
2010 Golf - Bought Back by VW
There are many reports on TDI Club of people who have gone tens of thousands of miles past the recommended service mileage, with no negative consequences.
My car had close to 63,000 miles at buyback and I never did the transmission service. No issues being 23,000 miles over the service interval.