www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Alternative Diesel Fuels (Biodiesel, WVO, SVO, BTL, GTL etc)

Alternative Diesel Fuels (Biodiesel, WVO, SVO, BTL, GTL etc) Discussions about alternative fuels for use in our TDI's. This includes biodiesel WVO (Waste Vegetable Oil), SVO (Straight Vegetable Oil), BTL (Biomass to Liquid), GTL (Gas to Liquids) etc. Please note the Fuel Disclaimer.

Old March 7th, 2017, 12:08   #1
allenazali

Default Propel HRP Diesel

Does anybody have any long term experience with HPR diesel? Is it just hype or are there any real benefits from using this type of diesel?
Old March 7th, 2017, 19:05   #2
john.jackson9213
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 1996 B4V

Here is the long term thread on Propel HRP Diesel. Lots of long term user reports in the thread:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=434322

Personally, I have used it since it first came to San Diego. Runs great, less smoke than with regular diesel. Zero issues. I like the stuff.

But post your question in the long term thread for more answers.
1996 B4V, Hella E-Codes, GLX leather, EuroTuning.cz 02A 6 speed conversion w/.71 5th and .588 6th gear, A4 shift linkage by Matt-98AHU. 11 mm pump by Oldpoopie. Now, GTC1549VZ turbo by Whitbread. TDtuning, 24 lbs. boost, 162 hp, 285 lb/ft tq. Smoke Free (9/18/15). Koni Yellows and Big Brake 5 lug conversion.
john.jackson9213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2017, 14:10   #3
Geomorph
Veteran Member

I have been running Propel Diesel HPR over two years now in two cars with no issues. My cars seem to like it. Easy to fill up since it doesn't foam up like petroleum diesel and doesn't smell as bad. It improves the exhaust and at least in my older car, the car feels more peppy. Also, it doesn't cost more and sometimes it costs less than petroleum diesel. I also like that it is a renewable fuel. It is compatible with all diesels since it meets the same ASTM standard. It is difficult for me to understand why someone wouldn't use it if they had the option.
Geomorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2017, 20:43   #4
tikal
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37 MPG (~ 45% city)

I am curious if there is a specific complete environmental life cycle study for Propel Diesel HPR based on the Argonne National Lab GREET model?
tikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2017, 10:33   #5
wxman
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Other Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikal View Post
I am curious if there is a specific complete environmental life cycle study for Propel Diesel HPR based on the Argonne National Lab GREET model?
As far as I know, only CARB has conducted carbon intensity of Neste renewable diesel using GREET. The "carbon intensity" (CI) according to CARB ranges from 16.89 g CO2e/MJ to 39.06 g CO2e/MJ, depending on feedstock (used cooking oil lowest CI).

Note it's for GHG emissions only.

Based on the latest version of the GREET model (GREET_2016), the following are the well-to-wheel emissions of the renewable diesel surrogate (virgin corn oil feedstock):

wxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2017, 10:36   #6
tikal
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37 MPG (~ 45% city)

Very cool and thanks wxman for this info. Something to compare to other D2 compatible fuels available in California (and if ever shows up in Texas and other states).
tikal is offline   Reply With Quote