Propel HRP Diesel

allenazali

TDI
2015 Golf manual
Does anybody have any long term experience with HPR diesel? Is it just hype or are there any real benefits from using this type of diesel?

Geomorph

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf and 2002 NB
I have been running Propel Diesel HPR over two years now in two cars with no issues. My cars seem to like it. Easy to fill up since it doesn't foam up like petroleum diesel and doesn't smell as bad. It improves the exhaust and at least in my older car, the car feels more peppy. Also, it doesn't cost more and sometimes it costs less than petroleum diesel. I also like that it is a renewable fuel. It is compatible with all diesels since it meets the same ASTM standard. It is difficult for me to understand why someone wouldn't use it if they had the option.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
I am curious if there is a specific complete environmental life cycle study for Propel Diesel HPR based on the Argonne National Lab GREET model?

wxman

Veteran Member
TDI
Other Diesel
I am curious if there is a specific complete environmental life cycle study for Propel Diesel HPR based on the Argonne National Lab GREET model?
As far as I know, only CARB has conducted carbon intensity of Neste renewable diesel using GREET. The "carbon intensity" (CI) according to CARB ranges from 16.89 g CO2e/MJ to 39.06 g CO2e/MJ, depending on feedstock (used cooking oil lowest CI).

Note it's for GHG emissions only.

Based on the latest version of the GREET model (GREET_2016), the following are the well-to-wheel emissions of the renewable diesel surrogate (virgin corn oil feedstock):

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Very cool and thanks wxman for this info. Something to compare to other D2 compatible fuels available in California (and if ever shows up in Texas and other states).