2006 Jetta Cold Start problems.....

usmcpaul

TDI
2005 jetta
2004 Jetta Cold Start problems.....

O.k. fella's , first let me start by saying that I have been reading and searching for hours, but I still have a few questions.

I installed a timing belt (thanks to your help) last year and since then I have had a hard start problem, but only when it's cold out. It stalls often when it's first started and it puffs quite a bit of smoke. Through the summer I had no problems. The colder it gets the worse the symptoms get.

I should note that it does start, it just runs really bad and stalls. I have owned the car since it was new and this is not the way it was originally. The current temps around here at night are about 40 degrees Fahrenheit.

(occasionally if you hit the gas in park, it does nothing, just sits there and idles with the pedal all the way to the floor, but after a few minutes everything is fine.)

I recently had the Glow Plug recall done, with the ECU update and this did nothing to help my problem. I then broke down and took it to a local dealer. After 2 days of 'mis-diagnosis', I was told it was the coolant temp sensor. They wanted $400.00 to replace it. I declined the repair and did it myself for $35.00 and it took 15 minutes. (again thanks to this site:)) I installed the 'Green' one.

The problem is still there.....I was told by them that there were no Dtc's.

I have read that it could be my timing, but I have also read that the timing can not be adjusted? Which is the case? Also if it can be adjusted, how do you do it, what value's should I set/reset and to what specs? The Dealer said they reset 'everything' whatever that means.

Any help or insight would be very much appreciated.

2004 Jetta BEW TDI, 85,000 miles, Automatic, new fuel filter, air filter, proper oil, new coolant temp sensor.

Thanks, Paul

Last edited:

OAG

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
So...is it a 2004 or 2006 that's having cold start problems?

usmcpaul

TDI
2005 jetta
jcrews said:
If you have VCDS, what's the angle in window 4 in measuring block group 004?
I don't have a VCDS. Although my neighbor says he has a computer tool that he will let me borrow. I don't know what the name brand is, I figured I should get as much info from you guys before I have him bring it home for me to try.

What is the angle in window 4 measuring?

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
It's essentially measuring the alignment between the camshaft and the crankshaft. I strongly suspect that when you did the timing belt, you didn't get it correctly aligned.

usmcpaul

TDI
2005 jetta
GoFaster said:
It's essentially measuring the alignment between the camshaft and the crankshaft. I strongly suspect that when you did the timing belt, you didn't get it correctly aligned.
It is definitely a possibility.

But if I had mis-aligned it, wouldn't I have done some damage by now? It has been quite a while since I did it. I thought that even being 1/2 tooth off would cause damage. I did get all the tools from metalnerd.com and was trying to be very careful.

What should I look for when I get this scan tool.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
GoFaster said:
X2
You can be "off" a little bit on the cam timing and not do damage of a catostophic nature, but it won't run right-as you may find out.
Highly doubt the scan tool your neighbor has will be of any help, unless it is a actual VagCom (VCDS) licensed version. That's what you need to check this out, or the (shudder) dealer's unit.

usmcpaul

TDI
2005 jetta
OK, lets suppose that my timing is off a tad bit. From my reading, it sure looks like it.

Now what? Do I have to tear it apart again and reset it manually, or can can I compensate for this using a VAG-COM or similar tool?

I sure hate to tear this thing apart again if I can help it, so is there more troubleshooting that I should do first?

usmcpaul

TDI
2005 jetta
jcrews said:
measuring block 004 window 4. +- 0.5 CW seems best, tolerance is in the label file. It's somewhere around +- 4
Thanks man. Now for the $100,000 question. Lets suppose it is out of specs. Do I have to tear it apart again to fix it?

I will get the Vag-com this Thursday and would like to know what to have (as far as parts go), just in case surgery is in order.

Last edited: