FS: 1998 Jetta TDI w/ 5 Speed

AWolfe

TDI
'98 Jetta
Okay, this car has a lot of miles and needs some work. It starts and runs and stops, and has done so through several Wisconsin winters. Here's the deal:

- 294,000 miles.
- It leaks engine oil. About a quart every 1000 miles. I'm not sure where the leak is coming from.
- I've hit several deer with it. The grill is broken and the hood and fenders are dented. The hood opens and closes fine with a little care.
- The tires are pretty much worn out.
- It needs suspension work, most notably rear axle bushings.
- The drivers window and both rear windows do not go down.
- The passenger's window and the moonroof DO work.
- Timing belt was replaced about 11,000 miles ago.
- Clutch still seems fine, transmission too.
- AC does not work, condenser was damaged by the deer.
- Still gets 45+ mpg.

This has been a very dependable car for me, but it needs work now and I don't feel like putting the effort into it. The car is located in Madison, WI at my workplace, so is available to be looked at (or bought!) every weekday 7-5.

I'm asking $1200.

Email me at aaronawolfe@gmail.com with any questions.

Pictures here: http://picasaweb.google.com/aaronawolfe/1998VWJettaTDI?feat=directlink

AWolfe

TDI
'98 Jetta
I still have it...

I haven't gotten much action on my Jetta...

I'm sure this car is worth something to someone, for parts if for nothing else. I'll accept any reasonable offer. I'm going to give it a few more days and then put it up on ebay.

If no one here is interested, I'm curious to know what you all think a car like this is worth.

Number6

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
AWolfe said:
If no one here is interested, I'm curious to know what you all think a car like this is worth.
That's a difficult case; it needs a lot of work, and if a guy couldn't do it himself it would definitely be cost prohibitive. So that makes it a "mechanic's special". It is probably worth more in parts than whole. If you look around this forum, you'll find a few of these that have been parted out, and that always seems to get a following of members who want this or that part. If I had space, I might take it off your hands and have a go at it myself, but I really can't right now. Too bad, cause you're in my town and everything! Good luck with it.

Number6

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
BTW, before you pay the big fees on Ebay, I'd try posting free ads on Craigslist in Madison, Janesville, Milwaukee, Rockford, Appleton and Chicago NW ...