Spare tire size tank

weasel

Deactivated Member Account
TDI
None.
Anyone know where I could get one or if they even exist ? With fuel going the way it is, I am thinking about going to WVO ( or hell brand new stuff it cheaper than dino now ). If I decide on not doing the WVO thing, at least I can have a tank of extra diesel in it if I find it cheap.

Golfik

Veteran Member
TDI
Golfik
is it not required by law that you need to have a spare tire in your car just in case of ........

unless you just want to put it into your trunk and not its proper spot

mrvermin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Golfik said:
is it not required by law that you need to have a spare tire in your car just in case of ........

unless you just want to put it into your trunk and not its proper spot
There is no law requiring you to have a spare tire anywhere on your vehicle. There are however laws regarding Fuel Tanks or Cells mounted and secured in or on a vehicle.

MrVermin

streeker02

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf TDI
You can't issue a DOT Safety (certification) without a spare tire, jack and tire iron in the car. This I know for sure. As for a law that forbids you to remove it from the vehicle, I don't know.......

mrvermin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
streeker02 said:
You can't issue a DOT Safety (certification) without a spare tire, jack and tire iron in the car. This I know for sure. As for a law that forbids you to remove it from the vehicle, I don't know.......
Newer Corvettes do not come with a spare tire, jack or tire iron. It gets Run-Flats from the factory and I have yet to see it not pass a DOT :D

Actually I just looked through the HTA and found nothing pertaining to the requirement of a spare tire in the vehicle in order to pass a safety. :confused:

MrVermin

streeker02

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf TDI
RFT equipped vehicles are exempt from that stipulation, of course....If I remember, I'll look the text up today at the shop.

kingkos

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon TDI
the tank i got in my spare wheel well came with my greasecar kit. I'm pretty sure its not illigal to remove your spare tire, but it's kinda dumb. i drove around for the first year without a spare, but I ended up finding a donut spare for $50. They are hard to find since A4's come with full size spares, but the 98-99 GLX's came with 5x100 donuts.

If you are really considering a veggie system, make sure you read up on the pros and cons and whats involved.

steve