How do I get a lock cylinder out of a B4 door lock with no key

tbones

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon tdi, 1991 Corrado TDI (sold)1983 Vanagon 7pass.GL 1.6td 1982 Westy;THE PHOENIX 1.6na(NOW JX/5speed) my partner's 2014 Jetta Sportwagon 6spd manual AND MY NEW TOY/PROJECT... Sunny, a bright yellow 87 syncro Westy with 1Z TDI motor
Hi gang,

I got a nice condition original front door handle with intact wire.

The downside is, it has no key, so I'm trying to get the old lock cylinder out without wrecking the handle.

Has anybody been able to do this before? If so please enlighten meas to how you accomplish this feat.

Thanks,

Steve

0die

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon B4V
not sure but can you remove the clip or whatever is holding the back of the cylinder in place? without l having it in my hand I can't recall exactly how the back is...

I'm assuming you have already removed the handle from the door and it's on the work bench...

tbones

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon tdi, 1991 Corrado TDI (sold)1983 Vanagon 7pass.GL 1.6td 1982 Westy;THE PHOENIX 1.6na(NOW JX/5speed) my partner's 2014 Jetta Sportwagon 6spd manual AND MY NEW TOY/PROJECT... Sunny, a bright yellow 87 syncro Westy with 1Z TDI motor
yes, it's out of the door, and on the bench... i have the circlip off, and the other pieces/springs off the back end of it... but, on my old (non-functional) handle with my key, you need to turn the cylinder (with key in it) 180 to get it removed...(hence, my predicament with the good handle with no key)

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
I have never been able to remove a cylinder with no key without braking the small pin inside

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
If you have any spare VW keys try them. Heck even try the current ignition key, you might be surprised.

Steve

0die

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon B4V
is there anyway you can drill out the old tumbler? since you are going to use your keyed tumbler there is no real need to save the keyless tumbler (other than to salvage the pins and such)

k9mattk

TDI
1996 passat, 2005 jetta
I've been able to pick my B4 lock with a pretty primitive pick set. Or sure a locksmith can for cheap.