Android auto on a 2015 S

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
You know you can code with obdeleven right? It's exactly the same thing as VCDS except on an android interface (and much nicer looking too)

I coded my taillights with it no problem. You might need the pro version to code, but if you already have an obdeleven I think the pro key will cost an extra 40-50 bucks (if that)

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Great, I can't believe I'm really about to do this :) I'm a control freak in many respects, and I'll feel so out of control prying the trim off and whatnot during the install. I'm also not very patient and get frustrated easily. Should probably swallow a Xanax 1h before the install :), I wonder if they'll prescribe me it for this.
I found pulling the trim and display on my Mk7 to be the easiest of any I've done (at least, compared to a Mk5). If it's warm in the car (like it's been sitting in the summer sun), that'll give you a lot more leeway in terms of not breaking plastic bits - as compared to removing plastic trim in the dead of winter.

Certainly, having a variety of different plastic pry tools (like this set) is a must as well; and I think you need four of those VW keys to pull the display (you could probably get away with two, but it's definitely dead-simple with the four of them).

And as 2.2TDI suggests above, from what I've seen, anything you can do with VCDS can be done with OBDeleven. I've only played around with the Android app (OBDeleven) a couple times, as VCDS is my go-to, but a lot of how-tos with coding show either / or / both.

Last edited:

aditud

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
You know you can code with obdeleven right? It's exactly the same thing as VCDS except on an android interface (and much nicer looking too)

I coded my taillights with it no problem. You might need the pro version to code, but if you already have an obdeleven I think the pro key will cost an extra 40-50 bucks (if that)
Hey, I know there were two options when I bought it. I have the more expensive one ($67 or so), the one were I don't need to watch adds or whatever to get stuff going. Is that the Pro version? I know I can do long coding with it, I already experimented with that when the "rain closing" adaptation wasn't working for my car.

aditud

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
I found pulling the trim and display on my Mk7 to be the easiest of any I've done (at least, compared to a Mk5). If it's warm in the car (like it's been sitting in the summer sun), that'll give you a lot more leeway in terms of not breaking plastic bits - as compared to removing plastic trim in the dead of winter.

Certainly, having a variety of different plastic pry tools (like this set) is a must as well; and I think you need four of those VW keys to pull the display (you could probably get away with two, but it's definitely dead-simple with the four of them).

And as 2.2TDI suggests above, from what I've seen, anything you can do with VCDS can be done with OBDeleven. I've only played around with the Android app (OBDeleven) a couple times, as VCDS is my go-to, but a lot of how-tos with coding show either / or / both.
I got the prying tools and the stereo removal keys. Wouldn't attempt anything without them.

About the OBDeleven tool, I think I got the pro version, I know it can do long coding. Probably would take some time though to translate the steps from VCDS to OBDeleven (as everyone who did the MIB1 to MIB2 upgrade seems to have used VCDS to sort out the coding where necessary).

aditud

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
I played with the OBD tool today a bit (BTW, I do have the pro version, it says so on the tiny bag it came in). I assume that all changes should be made under "Information Control Unit"?

This is what I see there (posting two photos so that you can see the whole menu):

I basically accessed all of these and could not find any info on the display or the amp. The only part showing was the headunit itself. As suspected, even if I get all the coding from someone who's done this swap recently, it'll be tough to locate all the places I should work in with OBD11.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
I played with the OBD tool today a bit (BTW, I do have the pro version, it says so on the tiny bag it came in). I assume that all changes should be made under "Information Control Unit"?
This is what I see there (posting two photos so that you can see the whole menu):

I basically accessed all of these and could not find any info on the display or the amp. The only part showing was the headunit itself. As suspected, even if I get all the coding from someone who's done this swap recently, it'll be tough to locate all the places I should work in with OBD11.
It shouldn't... all the places you say your looking are there, the interface is exactly the same as VCDS

Here's two pictures of me in module 09 - Central electrics - adaptation - leutche channel 18 and 19

Neither myself or anyone else can tell you which module and channel to go unless you have the instructions. With instructions, it's pretty straight forward... so you'd be wasting your time looking for VCDS especially since you have the PRO version which lets you do everything VCDS does

Last edited:

aditud

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
Finally got some time now to make the post a lot of you've been asking for. Just to preface, I did the MIB2 upgrade to my 2015 GSW TDI SE. Most of my information was gathered from the following two posts. Please read both posts as they provide good information and photos about how to go about the install. I'll provide a list of all the parts I've used specific to my install and the contact I used to remove Component Protection (CP) and add the App Connect key at the end.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31600&highlight=DIY+MIB1+MIB2

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7466330-Golf-7-2013-discover-pro-retrofit-with-CARPLAY!

List of Parts
Infotainment Unit (3Q0035844): $90 (ebay)
Display Screen (3G0919605H): $130 (ebay)
MIB2 Amplifier (5Q0035456): $160 (ebay)
USB/Aux Connector and Harness (5G0035222E): $45 (aliexpress)
Trim Removal Tool (PC5-93): $2 (ebay)

Component Protection (CP) Removal & App Connect Key
Instead of removing CP at the dealership and buying the app connect key online as mentioned in the posts, I contacted Jack Kirry via Skype (ID: jacekk993). He requires a VAS 5054A with OKI chip. If everything works, he charges 200 Euros.
Jack's Fee: $250 (changes based on exchange rates)
VAS 5054A with OKI chip $60 (ebay)

Total Cost: $737

I thought I was able to find most of the parts pretty cheaply on ebay. Depending on how cheap you get the parts, I would estimate this upgrade would cost approximately $700-$1,000. The posts I linked above provides all the information you would need. If you have any direct questions, feel free to post and I'll answer as quick as I can.

Also, since you only need the VAS5054A cable to remove CP and add the app connect key, one person could buy the cable and then resell it through this forum. Maybe pass the cable around so that everyone can save some money.
Could you please elaborate on the VCDS tweaks you made and in what order? I mean, let's say I saved the original settings (I see my OBDeleven Pro has the option to back up the Information Control Unit settings, I can actually back up all the settings), and I swapped all the hardware. What's next? Do you make some necessary VCDS tweaks before the remote session with Jack (in which he removes the CP on headunit and amp, and installs the FeC's)? After? Both? Thanks!

aditud

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
Neither myself or anyone else can tell you which module and channel to go unless you have the instructions. With instructions, it's pretty straight forward... so you'd be wasting your time looking for VCDS especially since you have the PRO version which lets you do everything VCDS does
I see. That's encouraging! Thanks!

aditud

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
Some not so great news: the bargain $30 headunit is probably defective. I purchased it on eBay a week or so ago. I'm glad I tried it today (with everything else in the car still stock MIB1). Screen keeps turning on and off (only stays on for a few seconds). You can see (in one of the photos below) that red "boot" circle spinning on screen, then turns off. Then the fan gets loud again and whole thing repeats. I read somewhere on the mk7 forum that this may mean the headunit is bust.

Oh well, when a deal is too good to be true... Anyone lucky with these cheap headunits?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Keep in mind a MIB2 head unit is sending out a different resolution (size) video signal to the display.
The whole boot circle / fan-goes-nuts thing, though, would suggest that you've got a dud.

aditud

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
Keep in mind a MIB2 head unit is sending out a different resolution (size) video signal to the display.
The whole boot circle / fan-goes-nuts thing, though, would suggest that you've got a dud.
Yeah, I figured out the resolution thing, I wasn't worried about that, I expected it would look bad.

Do you happen to know if 3Q0035844A and 3Q0035844 are interchangeable? I see some NAR 2017 Golfs and GTI's come with that, or even 3Q0035878.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Well funny enough my screen just crapped out on me today... Bottom half of the touch screen stopped working. This would be a good excuse to upgrade if I didn't buy extended warranty. Going to take the car in next week and see if there is a way to sneak an mib2 unit in :D

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Haha - good luck on that; let us know how you make out with that request.

sportwagen3

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI SE
Could you please elaborate on the VCDS tweaks you made and in what order? I mean, let's say I saved the original settings (I see my OBDeleven Pro has the option to back up the Information Control Unit settings, I can actually back up all the settings), and I swapped all the hardware. What's next? Do you make some necessary VCDS tweaks before the remote session with Jack (in which he removes the CP on headunit and amp, and installs the FeC's)? After? Both? Thanks!
The coding all depends on the MIB 2 unit you get because it may be coded for a different type of car. When I first worked. with Jack, he could do everything except for the amp. I realized the MIB unit came from a car that did have an amp, so I had to recode that all. it's best to save your old coding and then compare. That's what I did and then was able to fix it all.

aditud

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
The coding all depends on the MIB 2 unit you get because it may be coded for a different type of car. When I first worked. with Jack, he could do everything except for the amp. I realized the MIB unit came from a car that did have an amp, so I had to recode that all. it's best to save your old coding and then compare. That's what I did and then was able to fix it all.
I see, so I need to code the amp into the headunit before the session with Jack (if the headunit comes from a car without the amp)? Can you tell me where I find the amp in VCDS (then I'll try to see how that translates to my OBDeleven)?

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Haha - good luck on that; let us know how you make out with that request.
Yea, I say it jokingly...it's more wishful thinking than anything else. Problem is that my screen issues seem to be intermittent as today it worked.. guess i'll see what the dealer says

aditud

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
A guy on vwvortex just claimed that the coding I may need to make the headunit accept the amp is "VIN locked", so can't be done with OBDeleven. So, there are things that can be done with VCDS, but not OBD11 (even the pro version), after all. Or he doesn't know what he's talking about?

That's making me nervous again: I've reached out to four members from the Pittsburgh area (the ones I could find on the VCDS locator map) just in case I needed help, but no answer (they haven't been active on forums in long while, so...).

Last edited:

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If it's VIN-locked, then VCDS ain't gonna help you either.

If it's what I think it means, the hardware is compatible only with the VIN in which it is installed (same as "component protection" (?)).

Only way around that is maybe (??) a very helpful, curious, and friendly dealer service tech...or someone who knows how to hack / work around that. VCDS is not that.

sportwagen3

Veteran Member
TDI
Not correct. I was able to recode my MIB2 to accept the amp through VCDS. You need Jack to remove the CP from all the parts so that it's reassigned to your VIN.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
What nuje and sportwagen said... I can't stress anymore that obdeleven is vcds and that both do the same thing... I have yet to come across something that obdeleven can't do

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Not correct. I was able to recode my MIB2 to accept the amp through VCDS. You need Jack to remove the CP from all the parts so that it's reassigned to your VIN.
Well, the AGP folks made everything at least talk to each other; that's the part that VCDS isn't going to help with (unless you have some magic voodoo abilities). Once installed, it didn't have any sound (which they'd told me would happen), so the one thing I had to do was change the coding in byte 0 of Module 47 from "22" to "12" (with VCDS - OBDeleven would do that just fine, too, as alluded above).

aditud

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
From all your posts I get the following:

1. If the HU comes from a car w/ Fender (so comes from a car with amp), Jack can remove the CP from both the HU and amp, I don't need to do any coding before he works his magic, he'll sort everything out;

2. If the HU comes from a car w/o Fender, I first need to get Jack to remove CP from HU, then I need to recode it with OBDeleven to accept the amp, then get Jack back to remove CP from amp and then the FeC for AppConnect.

Did I get it right?

sportwagen3

Veteran Member
TDI
From all your posts I get the following:
1. If the HU comes from a car w/ Fender (so comes from a car with amp), Jack can remove the CP from both the HU and amp, I don't need to do any coding before he works his magic, he'll sort everything out;
2. If the HU comes from a car w/o Fender, I first need to get Jack to remove CP from HU, then I need to recode it with OBDeleven to accept the amp, then get Jack back to remove CP from amp and then the FeC for AppConnect.
Did I get it right?
Yup that's seems right.

aditud

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
Yup that's seems right.
OK, thanks! Being that I'm a noob when it comes to all this, it took me a while to sort out the natural order of things. However, right after I posted my previous message here (not on vwvortex), I got the following from DV52 on vwvortex (as a response to another user's contention that OBD11 won't help), and he seems to confirm what I understood from you (however, he doesn't seem aware that the amp needs to have its CP removed as well):

"Need to separate in your mind the concept of SWAP (i.e. SoftWare As Product) and long-coding/adaptation channels changes:
SWAP generally affects the module's firmware and it is ALWAYS requires an activation code that is specific to your VIN - so, can't be transferred to other vehicles.
Long-coding/adaptation channel changes are the stuff of diagnostic cables like VCDS/OBD11/VCP. These are not considered to be based in the module firmware - they generally reside in non-volatile "operational" memory within the module.

As a general rule, my observation has been that VCDS and OBD11 (and VCP) have roughly the same capabilities - albeit there are many differences between diagnostic cable in the way that they operate and especially in the way that the data is presented to the user.

As to your question about adding your new components, the first thing to recognize is that what I think you call the "head-unit" ( VW call this J794) will be at odds with the CAN Gateway's understanding of the identity of this module at the previous ignition switch-on. This checking process by the CAN Gateway module happens every time that you switch-on the ignition. It's intended to combat the black market trade in stolen equipment and it's called Component Protection (CP)

So- unless your new Head-unit has been hacked, you will need to remove CP error as the first task after fitment. Officially, CP removal requires connection to VW's FAZIT database and only registered VW agents can do this.

Yes, and then you will need to tell the CAN network in your car to start managing the external amp - this is done by registering the "sound system" in the CAN installation list - it's at address hex47.

The next thing that you will need to do (programming wise) is to tell the Head unit to by-pass the normal speaker plugs at the rear of the head-unit and instead to wield the audio data to the external amp via the optical cable that you installed between the HU and the new amp. This is done by enabling the MOST facility in the long-coding software-switch @ Byte19, Bit5. And you will also need to change Byte 4 to hex00 (it will be hexFF as factory set), and change Byte11 to hex02 (it will be hex01 as factory set)"

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
DV52 is a freakin' god when it comes to coding on these cars.
Super-helpful and willing to take the time to explain (as you aptly demonstrate with his quote above :) ).

Just because it's a long quote, I'd be inclined to give him the full-on quote treatment, as in...
DV52 said:
...from the Vortex.
Need to separate in your mind the concept of SWAP (i.e. SoftWare As Product) and long-coding/adaptation channels changes:
SWAP generally affects the module's firmware and it is ALWAYS requires an activation code that is specific to your VIN - so, can't be transferred to other vehicles.
Long-coding/adaptation channel changes are the stuff of diagnostic cables like VCDS/OBD11/VCP. These are not considered to be based in the module firmware - they generally reside in non-volatile "operational" memory within the module.

As a general rule, my observation has been that VCDS and OBD11 (and VCP) have roughly the same capabilities - albeit there are many differences between diagnostic cable in the way that they operate and especially in the way that the data is presented to the user.

As to your question about adding your new components, the first thing to recognize is that what I think you call the "head-unit" ( VW call this J794) will be at odds with the CAN Gateway's understanding of the identity of this module at the previous ignition switch-on. This checking process by the CAN Gateway module happens every time that you switch-on the ignition. It's intended to combat the black market trade in stolen equipment and it's called Component Protection (CP)

So- unless your new Head-unit has been hacked, you will need to remove CP error as the first task after fitment. Officially, CP removal requires connection to VW's FAZIT database and only registered VW agents can do this.

Yes, and then you will need to tell the CAN network in your car to start managing the external amp - this is done by registering the "sound system" in the CAN installation list - it's at address hex47.

The next thing that you will need to do (programming wise) is to tell the Head unit to by-pass the normal speaker plugs at the rear of the head-unit and instead to wield the audio data to the external amp via the optical cable that you installed between the HU and the new amp. This is done by enabling the MOST facility in the long-coding software-switch @ Byte19, Bit5. And you will also need to change Byte 4 to hex00 (it will be hexFF as factory set), and change Byte11 to hex02 (it will be hex01 as factory set).
This is the only part that I had to do (coding-wise) with my hacked unit from APG.
It doesn't show up as a button on the main VCDS screen for me, so I had to manually enter 47 in the "DIRECT ENTRY" box bottom left of main screen. And then, as mentioned above, change the first byte of the long coding from "22" to "12".

Last edited:

aditud

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
Anyone willing to part with their OBD2 VAS 5054A+OKI Chip ODIS kit? Would like to buy it. Please PM if so.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So - what exactly does the VAS 5054+OKI do that VCDS / OBDeleven do not?

aditud

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
Need it to have Jack remove CP remotely.
This.

I'm already in contact with him, we're supposed to do it at the end of this month. He'll remove the CP's on the HU and amp, and install the FeC for the AppConnect. From his message I also get that he can do all the necessary coding too (so I may not need to code anything with my OBDeleven). When I asked him what I needed he only mentioned this ODIS thing and a laptop running virtual machine (apparently Jack needs a PC with Win 7 Pro, not I; I pressed him on that because all vendors say their devices only work with Win 7 Pro).

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I need to run Micro$oft?

I haven't used winblowz in over 20 years... For years I used just jwm on openbsd. Just recently I got flashy and switched to xfce...

Hhaha, funny too, such simplicity of software on 64Gb ram, dual 16core ryzen, on twin Nvidia's... I use scalpel heavily, I need the power.

I do have a virtual box with Xp? I suppose I could grab the iso of win7 and VB that?

Not sure if his setup is finicky with emulated environments?

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk