to 4 motion or not to 4 motion for new sportwagen

ssvw

TDI
2014 GTI
I currently am a proud owner of a 2014 GTI but will need to trade it in to make more space for baby #2 arriving in spring.
After looking for wagons high and low, I figured I couldn't beat the SportWagen.
Question 1: What are the best "bang for your buck" upgrades I can make to bring it close or over 300HP? I see APR has ECU that claims 170 to 240 hp. Are there any other "bolt ons" that will get me where I want to be?
Question 2: Lowering. H & R sells springs that lower 1.8 rear and 2.0" front for $350. Other thoughts on lowering?
Last Question: Given that I will be increasing power, does anyone know whether or not the 2017 4 motion vs other FWD models is worth the extra $? My understanding is that FWD (automatic) is a single clutch, while the AWD is dual clutch. I know the AWD will put the power to better use, but will it also better handle the power loads due to its being a dual clutch? Not sure if it is worth spending 4-5 Gs more for 4 motion or not. (Additionally, is manual 5 speed better for handling performance upgrades?)
I'm sorry for the long post, any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!

Colville

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI SEL "The Modern Squareback"
I would say unless you honestly NEED the 4 motion I wouldn't opt for it. My front wheel drive 2015 GSW has been great in all terrains, including quite a bit of snow in Wisconsin. So unless you really just want the AWD I wouldn't worry about it.

As far as getting to 300HP… Not sure, if you really wanna "feel" power I would suggest a TDI and tune, the torque is amazing! Since torque is what you really feel, I would focus on that. KermaTDI has everything you need, I would suggest calling them, they've made my TDI Sportwagen so much better!

Another option I and my kids really like is the panoramic sunroof, if you like that sort of thing its a nice feature.

As far as transmission, the DSG is an amazing beefy built trans, but if you must have manual, their fun too. I prefer manual most the time, but for the purposes of my GSW I went with the DSG, its not your "normal" automatic transmission thats for sure.

Any configuration of the Sportwagen is a great modern automobile, so you're on the right track, good luck!

rc74racer

TDI
2015 GSW SE TDI
I have driven the 1.8T in the GSW and all track. I do not like the 6spd auto that comes in the GSW 1.8T at all. The DSG is a much better transmission and for that reason alone I would choose the 4motion or all track. I was seriously considering the all track as a replacement for my 15 GSW TDI, but I still prefer the 2.0 TDI to the 1.8T so I may be moving on from VW once turn in my 15 GSW TDI.

ssvw

TDI
2014 GTI
I appreciate both replies! I am assuming the only DSG transmission is on 2017 4 motion, and not earlier FWD GSWs?

Colville

TDI
I appreciate both replies! I am assuming the only DSG transmission is on 2017 4 motion, and not earlier FWD GSWs?
I have a 2015 GSW with a DSG and love it, its FWD… As far as I know, the DSG's have been available on the GSW since it came out.

03ALHWagon

TDI
2003 ALH Wagon (sold)
TDIs came with a DSG but the gas cars never did (1.8T) until the 4motion came along and they all are DSG cars if equipped with 4motion.

quattrothatcould

TDI
MkVII Golf TDI
The APR Stage 2 tune will give you 256hp/304 ft/lbs, but you'll need to add their (or another manufacturer's) downpipe. Nothing else beyond that is out there (along the lines of the IS38 swap for the GTI's) due to fueling and engine internal limits.

Colville

TDI
If you option for a TDI with DSG, KermaTDI will give you a significant amount of power without having to add anything but a tune, at least as much as mentioned above… I only know this is possible for a TDI though, I have it on mine and its great!

ARDailey

TDI
2010 SportWagen TDi / 2017 GSW 4Motion
FWIW...I picked up a 2017 GSW TSI 4Motion a a birthday present to me. The DSG rocks! No DSG "farts" (yet) like my 2010 JSW TDi. The 4motion worked great during the snow here last Saturday.