washer fluid tank replacement

berks_tom

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
My washer fluid tank has been leaking for the past year or so. I bought a replacement and decided to install it today. After pulling the front bumper cover off, it was easy to get at the tank and remove it. Everything went back on smoothly. And then I realized that I had to move the washer fluid level sensor from the old tank to the new one.

So I cut the old tank apart to remove the old sensor-- being very careful not to cut the rubber seal. I drilled the hole in the new tank to insert the sensor. But the stupid sensor doesn't seem to want to fit. I fit the rubber grommet/seal in the hole first. It fits nicely. Then I push the sensor into the hole. It goes partway, but I can't get it to go all the way in. I push until I start to worry about breaking the tank. It doesn't work any easier if I put the rubber seal around the sensor before trying to shove it into the hole either.

If anybody reading this has replace their tank before, how the heck did you get the fluid level sensor to fit?

berks_tom

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
A little vaseline did the trick.

You know... it kind of make you feel stupid when you've been struggling with a problem for over an hour and your son immediately hits on the idea that works. Especially when it's a trick that you taught him a few years ago.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
...uhh...berks_tom...how old is your son? Is he old enough to understand the benefits of lubricating with Vaseline?:eek::rolleyes:
(My 15-year-old son, first day with his learner's permit, took me to an empty parking lot BEHIND a strip mall that I had never seen before, and can't be seen from the street...sigh...)

berks_tom

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
He probably does. He's 19 and just got home from his girlfriend's house. :rolleyes:

He and I worked this weekend to replace the EGR cooler. So after we finished that fun job he cleaned up and went to see his girlfriend while I cleaned up and did the _one_last_thing_ to install the new washer fluid tank. He was surprised to find the car hadn't moved when he got home.