www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General VW Discussion

General VW Discussion This is a place for General VW topics (the company, not your vehicle). General topics about a specific vehicle should be posted in the General TDI Dicussion Forum sections for that vehicle platform. A4, A3 & B4, B5, etc.

Old February 16th, 2014, 13:21   #1
BeetleGo
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 39/46, usually 41
Default VW updates the Scirocco

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2014-...#photo-2432241

The Scirocco is undoubtedly one of the better-looking models in the Volkswagen lineup, but introduced back in 2008, it's now been on the market some markets, anyway for the better part of six years. VW is said to have an all-new replacement in the works, but before that arrives, the German automaker has announced a facelifted version with revised styling and a new engine lineup.

Set to be revealed at the Geneva Motor Show next month, the new Scirocco benefits from updated styling front and rear, high-tech exterior lighting, a revised cabin space with some throwback retro touches, some new technologies and, of course, an array of fresh wheel options ranging from 17 to 19 inches.

The updated Scirocco will be offered with a wide array of engines right from the get-go, including four gasoline options and two diesels, spanning from 125 horsepower all the way up to the 280-hp Scirocco R. The 2014 model hits European showrooms in August, but unfortunately isn't any more likely to make the transatlantic voyage Stateside than the version it replaces. Still interested? There's plenty to see in the high-res image gallery above and details in the press release below.
'05 5sp Golf GLS TDI - Rocket Chipped to 1.5, NB hoop style headrests, Mud Flaps, Euro style sideview mirrors (They're blind spotless!), and Koni FSD's (Talk about smoothing the bumps AND tightening the curves!!!)
Don't know how to use the search function? Click Here!
BeetleGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2014, 17:14   #2
JSWTDI09
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeetleGo View Post
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2014-...#photo-2432241

The Scirocco is undoubtedly one of the better-looking models in the Volkswagen lineup, but introduced back in 2008, it's now been on the market some markets, anyway for the better part of six years.

Re-introduced might be a better term. I still remember my old 1978 Scirocco with the single long windshield wiper. I used to call it my "Rabbit in Wolf's clothing". It is a pity that this will probably never make it stateside.

Have Fun!

Don
Old February 17th, 2014, 04:57   #3
BeetleGo
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Something tells me that we will see the next generation Scirocco stateside. If VW is going to make their sales target in the coming years they will need to have a car in each segment to compete with the new big three! (GM, Toyota, and Volkswagon) then again what do GM and Toyota have in this segment now?

http://new-cars-reviews.com/new-2017-vw-scirocco.html
http://www.allcars2014.com/new-2017-vw-scirocco/
'05 5sp Golf GLS TDI - Rocket Chipped to 1.5, NB hoop style headrests, Mud Flaps, Euro style sideview mirrors (They're blind spotless!), and Koni FSD's (Talk about smoothing the bumps AND tightening the curves!!!)

Last edited by BeetleGo; February 17th, 2014 at 05:05.
Old February 17th, 2014, 05:00   #4
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

That is a neat car, but until they make it out of something other than unobtainium, we can only dream.

At first glance, though, it sure looks a lot like the Honda CR-Z.
Old February 17th, 2014, 05:18   #5
BeetleGo
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

'Hammer, the Honda is a much smaller car. I have seen the current Scirocco in person. Just like the first one, it's a sportier flavored Golf. Ditch the R and give us this car!
Old February 17th, 2014, 05:20   #6
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

I am aware of the size of the CR-Z, I've driven them. However, in a picture, with no scale and therefor no context, they look quite similar.

And the difference in size isn't much, you probably couldn't pick it up with the naked eye if the two were parked next to one another, you'd need a ruler.

The Scirocco is about 15cm longer in the wheelbase, about 18cm longer total, and about 10cm wider. They are only about 100kg difference in weight, but much of that of course is due to the CR-Z's hybrid system's added weight.

I find this interesting, since the Corrado was often confused with the old Civic CRX to non-car-people. Of course, one glance at the price tags and you'd know they were quite different, LOL.

Last edited by oilhammer; February 17th, 2014 at 05:28.
oilhammer is offline   Reply With Quote