HELP!! 05 Golf TDI won't start, stuck at work, ASV??

ptep121

TDI
2005 Golf GLS TDI
I drove it 55 miles this morning to work, got in around lunch time and it wouldn't start. The electric seemed strong, but the engine simply would not turn over. It sounded like it wasn't even attempting to turn over - turn the key and nothing.

Had a friend try to jump me, but after 5 minutes of sitting it showed no progress at all and still didn't even attempt to turn over. Turn the key, nothing. No improvement.

Things to consider:

• All electric seemed fine and there were no lights left on.
  • The car sat for about 12 days, but I had driven it yesterday and again 55 miles this morning.
  • I'm near DC, so we've had cold spurts down into the teens and single digits this past week (car sat), and today it warmed up considerably and is 65 outside.
I found this great write up and was hopeful it would be this simple, but when I popped the hood I realized that my 05 TDI looked a little different and didn't have the valve. When I re-read i noticed that it says at the bottom that in PD engines this valve is controlled electronically.

I found this video of an 05 TDI, and I'm wondering if I'm on the right track here...

Any ideas/suggestions are appreciated!!

Thanks!!

Last edited:

ptep121

TDI
2005 Golf GLS TDI
I hear nothing when I turn the key. Twice i heard a faint click, but otherwise turning the key does nothing at all.

Chris Tobin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
Check the starter wires... My 06 did this and the control wire to the solenoid was loose and not making contact. Plugged it back in and it was good to go.

If it is a manual, turn on the key and bump start it, shouldn't take much and can be done in reverse or 1st...

ptep121

TDI
2005 Golf GLS TDI
Check the starter wires... My 06 did this and the control wire to the solenoid was loose and not making contact. Plugged it back in and it was good to go.

If it is a manual, turn on the key and bump start it, shouldn't take much and can be done in reverse or 1st...
That did it!! Thanks man. I jiggled the starter wires and tried it again and it fired right up. Which is a good thing too because I didn't have a ton of room to push start in the parking lot where I'm at...

When this happened to you, did you ultimately have to replace the starter?? Or was reestablishing the connection all that it needed??

Thanks again!

Chris Tobin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
Glad it helped. I figured it out the hard way, I took it up to MF Automotive and they found the disconnected wire and fixed the connector. It was with an aftermarket starter so I guess the connection was not quite as secure as the factory connection and it came loose. They installed the starter, so they did not charge me to fix the connector.