Key Won't Go All The Way In and Lock Cylinder Loose - New Key Matching

LandoCommando

Veteran Member
TDI
99 MK4 5sp
I recently bought a 99.5 mk4 from a dealer who bought it from an auto auction. It only came with one key.
All of the buttons on the remote work and there appears to be no issues with it. When I was looking to buy it I tested the key in the trunk and that worked fine and then I forgot to test it in the driver side door.
Well come to find out the key only goes about 3/4 the way in and the lock cylinder itself is a bit wiggly. The driver door unlocks and locks fine with the remote mind you and the red led blinks when its locked.

My main concern is matching a new key to the system.
I just ordered a new full key, cut and ready to go, before noticing the lock issue with the door. Will I be able to match the new key using the trunk lock instead of the driver door lock?

Edit: The retaining screw shown in this picture is tight so I am not sure why the lock cylinder is loose.

Last edited:

Dave_D

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat Titanium Beige six speed manual & Jetta, 1999.5, Tornado Red
Is it possible that the cylinder has been removed and possibly reinstalled incorrectly? There is a retaining ring that can fall into the door if the screw is loosened too far, ask me how I know! If this is so, then you should be able to pull the cylinder out of the handle with no trouble. If the retaining ring is out of place you will need to open up the door to retrieve it and put it back in place.

If the key only goes partway in try lock lube, but perhaps something is stuck in there preventing you from inserting the key all the way. Perhaps someone broke off part of the other key or broke off something else trying to work on the cylinder? The cylinders can also break, requiring replacement. As long as this is still the original key you can get a matching cylinder from the dealer by giving them the VIN when you order.

Dave

LandoCommando

Veteran Member
TDI
99 MK4 5sp
I took the cylinder out of the door and started disassembling it.
In the end I still couldn't get the key in all the way. I'm thinking the cylinder is busted or frozen.

As for the new key matching I learned I can complete the process by taking out the cylinder and using a screw driver to actuate the door lock instead of the key.

Last edited: