You now have options to repair or replace your BEW PD Lift Pump

04SlvrJetta

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat SE DSG
That would be great! I will certainly be getting a replacement motor...just have a big 'to do' list to knock out before doing this. Maybe the 'how to' will be ready by then.

Thermo1223

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Jetta 5M-'04 JW A5
Just ordered a pump, since I have the old style I rather stick with it in-case the pump fails again at least I won't be stranded.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Alright. It turns out that the noise of my pump was a kink in the flexible tubing I used.

I was stranded with fuel in the tank but none for the tandem pump to use. Took me a little while to put the new rigid tube but now I broke the T in the filter.

Can I just bypass the T and cap the hole momentarily, say one week?

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Thank you whitedog!

I will connect with a straight tube and plug the hole with a cork or something, until my new Tee arrives.

shuswap

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Golf TDI BEW auto
Just ordered a pump, since I have the old style I rather stick with it in-case the pump fails again at least I won't be stranded.
I agree. Just be careful that you don't break off one of the plastic fittings protruding from the pump housing, as I did. I must have committed this expensive error while tapping on the frozen rotating ring that hols/seals the pump into the tank. Still not sure how I screwed that up.

Mike (TheTDIWagonGuy) was great and shot me out a new (full) pump and I had it installed in a jiffy. Now I'm on the look-out for a dead original equipment BEW pump so I can get back to a pump that will still deliver fuel when the pump motor fails.

Mike was very helpful and I would not hesitate to deal with him again.

cr4zy3lgato

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2000
I've just ordered mine this week end, and i'm going to do the mod so fuel can still pass in case pump dies... honestly i'm not a big fan of the tubes used on the DIY and found that Tygon F-4040-a would be the best for the task, only concern is that recommended max pressure is 25 psi (do you think it's in the pump's range?) and that 5/16"ID is extremely rare... could i use another size?

cr4zy3lgato

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2000
could you tell me what is the actual size of the nipple coming out the pump? it seems that a larger size might be a good fit from the picture... am i wrong?

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
While I would use 8 mm or 5/16 hose, the largest OD of the barb tips on top of the electric motor/pump is 9.5 mm.

The OD of the canister exit pipe (on top) is 7.9mm. The OD of the very largest ring on the exit canister is 10.86mm. I have successfully used 3/8" ID hose on the canister exit, with a good hose clamp over or near this wider ring.

04SlvrJetta

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat SE DSG
Mike, I realized I had never posted back! I just wanted to say thanks again for offering these replacements! I installed my pump into the existing sending unit wih no difficulty. The toughest time I had was with tubing so I just heated it a little with a hair dryer to soften a little and it went right on. Also when I removed the motor from the housing I used 3 small flat blade screwdrivers in order to be able to get the motor out of the split ring in the plastic housing. Anyway, all went well! Only problem is it didn't fix my car because the reason it quit was the timing belt! But the pump had been dead so I'm glad to have the new one installed.

TheTDIWagonGuy

Registered Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Black 2003 Bora Wagon TDI
So I have not been able to get my hands on an old lift pump to do the "how to" for the replacement motor. When I do I'll post it.

LeeM

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE, 2002 Jetta Reflex Silver
Since you seem to be able to get hoses of different lengths, have you considered offering a mod kit that allows for pump failure?

abused-TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 VW Jetta
So I have not been able to get my hands on an old lift pump to do the "how to" for the replacement motor. When I do I'll post it.
I have an old model one (the one I took out when I bought the new pump from you). I could ship it to you for the "how too" instruction creation?

algirdas

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta AHU
A most excellent kit! Includes replacement hose and clamps.

I bought the replacement pump motor for the old style BEW lift pump, tan/beige plastic housing/sender.
http://www.defender-tech.com/product_p/bewlpr.htm

Installed it, in 2004 Golf, with the help of this thread.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=225672

Cut a hole in large thick garbage bag slightly larger than pump access hole, surgery style, and duct taped it to hole to protect interior.

Whole job took 2 hours in the heat with a beer and being careful.

Definitely CUT the old hose off the barbs with razor/Xacto blade.
Small flat screwdrivers and various picks are ideal tools for disassembly.
And rags and spraycan solvent/cleaner and catchpan and flashlight.

TheTDIWagonGuy

Registered Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Black 2003 Bora Wagon TDI
A most excellent kit! Includes replacement hose and clamps.

I bought the replacement pump motor for the old style BEW lift pump, tan/beige plastic housing/sender.
http://www.defender-tech.com/product_p/bewlpr.htm

Installed it, in 2004 Golf, with the help of this thread.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=225672

Cut a hole in large thick garbage bag slightly larger than pump access hole, surgery style, and duct taped it to hole to protect interior.

Whole job took 2 hours in the heat with a beer and being careful.

Definitely CUT the old hose off the barbs with razor/Xacto blade.
Small flat screwdrivers and various picks are ideal tools for disassembly.
And rags and spraycan solvent/cleaner and catchpan and flashlight.
Thanks for the info.

Biggspeed

TDI
Platinum Gray 2005
New Pump

Received the new pump assembly within 3 days. Dropped it in within 30 minutes of getting it. I'm impressed with the speed of delivery and the quality of the part. Thank you for the excellent service. I recommend getting this pump or (pump assembly in my case) to all that need it.

Thanks again

Ken B

mrowens33

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta sedan slushbox, 2004 Jetta wagon manual( my Noble Steed)
I just ordered my replacement pump. Great deal!! I'm way too lame to replace just to pump motor so does anybody want to make an offer on my existing lift pump I will be pulling out?

mrowens33

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta sedan slushbox, 2004 Jetta wagon manual( my Noble Steed)
That was fast

I just got my new lift pump with amazing speed. It looks great!! I can't wait to install it.
I just ordered my replacement pump. Great deal!! I'm way too lame to replace just to pump motor so does anybody want to make an offer on my existing lift pump I will be pulling out?