OT: advice WRT sealing garage floor

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Any opinions with regard to whether or not I should have my new garage floor sealed, and with what???

If I do have it sealed, I'll have to wait until springtime, as the temperature is much too low to do anything... (I'd like to start using the garage, but as it looks as if it will still be at least 6 weeks before I can do anything with the building, perhaps I could hold my horses a bit longer...

Also, should I splurge and get an Epoxy coating rather than the usual cheapo sealer???

Thanks,

Yuri.

roadhard1960

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon GLS 5 speed
My garage is uncoated, if you do not mind the overspray from painting the car, painting the 5 foot mower deck, a few oil spills and such. I try to clean up the oil spills pretty quick. If you try any kind of sealer you should first do a few months of hydrostatic pressure testing. I think that is what it is called. You tape a 1 foot square of 4 mill plastic to the floor with duck or duct tape in a few different locations. You look for condensation on the underside. If it condensates then your paint may push off. Try in different times of the year. Also note that dragging in a wet car could skew the results. Some just put that invisible sealer on which closes up the pores a bit for easier spill cleaning. You could tile the floor. http://www.dynotile.com/

VDubbing

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta Galactic Blue
I think a nice eopxy paint with the vw logo on each bay and TDICLUB.com would look nice. What kind of hoist are you getting yuri??

Would look real good for the TDI GTG's you will host. :)

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
VDubbing said:
What kind of hoist are you getting
You're assuming I'm going to have any money left over after this initial bout of renovations... For the near future, the only thing hoisted will be the occasional beer...

Yuri.

dlb

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Reflex Silver Golf
Wait until spring and use equal portions of boiled linseed oil and varsol (or other mineral spirit) I've used it and it works GREAT !! Just make sure you use "boiled linseed oil" or it will never dry ?!?!

Protecting concrete or stone:
For protecting concrete or stone from freeze/thaw cycles
and from salt and chemical damage, mix equal parts of
Boiled Linseed Oil with Paint Thinner, Mineral Spirits or
Varsol*. Concrete should be clean, dry and free of oils
or wax film. Apply one thin coat uniformly over the
surface with a stiff broom or brush. Wait 24 hours and
apply a second thin coat. Allow the coating to dry
thoroughly before using the surface.

dieselvet

TDI
MB GLK 250 4M BT
Hi Yuri,
You could use a siloxane based sealer, it allows the concrete to "breathe" yet encourages it to shed liquids. It also prevents salt damage to concrete.
Ed.