Spin-on oil filter part number

kotflb

TDI
Passat 05 Black GLS
I read somewhere that the VW PD oil filter can be replaced with a spinon type.

Does anyone have the part number for this filter? Also, does it work as well as the OEM filter? And where do you buy them at? Thanks

d2305

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Ram EcoDiesel
It would be more trouble than it's worth to change to a spin on oil filter. Just wear gloves if you don't want to get your hand dirty.

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI Ibis white
Even if you could do this, a spin on is gonna be much more messy than the cartridge filter we already have. Imagine that spin on installed upside down how messy that would be. Even if you could install it up, the oil in the passage is gonna run out in the engine compartment when you unscrew it anyway.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
dhdenney said:
Even if you could install it up, the oil in the passage is gonna run out in the engine compartment when you unscrew it anyway.
My first thoughts exactly! I actually think the cartridge type had a big advantage in that you actually see how well the filter is made.

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
You can try a flat adapter and remote oil filter. I have one of those on my 98 ABA engine with a nice oil cooler. I got the complete system from Summit Racing and the brand is Perma-Cool.

This might be the biggest reason why I can't kill my ABA engine.

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
It is pretty tight for space! I had a lot more room in the van.

This would require making some brackets to hang the remote filter and some careful plumbing to get the oil cooler into a good air stream.

Not too easy in these newer cars.

In my opinion, the long term benefits would outweigh the work to install the system.

Also, it wouldn't surprise me to find someone on this forum that has already done this.

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI Ibis white
The problem I see is making it accessible and making it safe. If you get it too low, you run the risk of puncturing it.

kotflb

TDI
Passat 05 Black GLS
Thanks guys, but I kinda figured the filter would drain down after about a half hour of sitting, and if it didn't completely drain that may be better for getting lube to the top end faster upon startup.

Plus the fact that we may have a wider selection of filter media types with the spinon filters. As is, I can't seem to find any info on the OEM filter mircron ratings or efficiency. B4 considering a complete bypass filter, I like to know how well our OEM filter is doing. Your thoughts please.

xs650

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 MKIV TDI Wagon
kotflb said:
Thanks guys, but I kinda figured the filter would drain down after about a half hour of sitting, and if it didn't completely drain that may be better for getting lube to the top end faster upon startup.

Plus the fact that we may have a wider selection of filter media types with the spinon filters. As is, I can't seem to find any info on the OEM filter mircron ratings or efficiency. B4 considering a complete bypass filter, I like to know how well our OEM filter is doing. Your thoughts please.
A filter that is installed on the car shouldn't drain. If it does you have a bad filter anti drainback valve or a bad installation.

kotflb

TDI
Passat 05 Black GLS
xs650 said:
A filter that is installed on the car shouldn't drain. If it does you have a bad filter anti drainback valve or a bad installation.
Thanks xs650, I gauss I have a bad valve b/c every time i do an oil change, the filter canister is 90% empty. I even put my new oil into the filter canister b4 I install the filter and it drains right into the pan from there.

How big a job is replacing the anti-drainback valve and where is it located? This has been like this since the first 5k mile oil change. :mad:

bloc

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
kotflb said:
Thanks xs650, I gauss I have a bad valve b/c every time i do an oil change, the filter canister is 90% empty. I even put my new oil into the filter canister b4 I install the filter and it drains right into the pan from there.

How big a job is replacing the anti-drainback valve and where is it located? This has been like this since the first 5k mile oil change. :mad:
Your car is designed to drain the filter housing when you remove the cover. That's what the post and o-ring on the end of the housing lid is for.

I own a car with an AHU engine, which has a spin-on filter, and it's VERY messy doing a simple oil and filter change. The filter is tilted backwards which makes the oil start to drain as soon as you start unscrewing it, plus the oil passages in the oil cooler dump quite a bit of oil everywhere. You are probably better off with the factory filter setup, or even better, waiting till Amsoil finishes work on their EaO cartridge for your car.