Timing belt appears to have jumped

kart17

TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI
Hi Everyone!

OK here is my situation. 99.5 Jetta TDI ALH, manual tranny. TIming belt, water pump, tensioner, etc all replaced by dealer < 5K ago.

Driving along, fell a slight shudder, and car shuts off. Attempt to re-start while clutch is in, it cranks but wont fire. Look over everything, check battery, fuel filter, then notice no accessory belt!!!! See pieces but thats it. Try to crank, it turns but wont start.

Pulled off upper timming belt cover, pieces of twine floating around under gears etc. Not a ton but more then I would like to see.

Set flywheel to TDC mark. Pull vacum pump and check cam slot for horizontal position on head deck, looks good. Check injector pump, and it apears the pump gear is off 30-40 degrees!!!!!! Slot in pully is around 11:00 looking at the pully.

(Didn't check for "lobes up" on cam position on cylinder 1 yet as didn't wnat to buy new valve cover).

Timing belt looks ok.

Is there an easy way to get things back in sync besides:
loosening tension pully, pulling valve cover off and checkiung lobes up, locking down cam, pulling cam gear, taking belt off injector pump gear, syncing things back up and putting it all back together?

Thanks in advance,

Kart

Snowman

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Persononally, I would NOT touch a thing!!! The minute you touch something, they will say it was something you did and THEN something happened.

Just leave it alone and take it back to the dealership and play dumb. Tell them what happened, but don't yet tell them you know what the problem is. Let them give you an explanation. If they give you grief. Tell them not to do anymore and you'll take it to another independent mechanic for their analysis.

Ben

ToolNut

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta GLS, '11 SportWagen
I agree with Snowman. The dealer will probably play dumb, too, however. Sounds like they don't even have to pretend. It's important to have an independent knowledgable TDI mechanic look at the car to determine what happened, maybe before you bring it to the dealer. You want photos. Try to get a photo of the tensioner area, because it's very possible they screwed up on the tensioner tab. Anyhow, they are liable, but they will likely deny it. Good luck.

Paul

kart17

TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI
Problem solved!!!!!!

Thanks for all the input here! ALL good suggestions.

Here is what I did.

Tested glow plug with water temp sensor unplugged. NO POWER TO HARNESS. May have caused accessory belt to pop? Installed new 109 Relay.

Set flywheel to TDC, pulled valve cover, to verify "lobes up" on #1. Installed cam lock, pulled cam gear (had to use A/C pulley puller but worked fine but needed to be patient). Pulled belt off, turned pump gear until positioned and installed pin (4.5mm long allen wrench) to lock pump.

Verified still at TDC, cam lock in, pump locked. Installed belt on cam gear and installed cam gear while verifying belt is on other gears ok. Things looking good, snugged up the cam gear bolt things still looking good. Pulled cam lock and torque down cam gear bolt. Rolled car forward SLOWLY to align belt(2 rotations of belt). Bumped several times. No ill sounding noises (Metal on metal, grinding, etc.).

Cranked it and it fired right up!!!!!!!! a Little louder than normal (no engine top shroud) but good to hear any slight noises. Run's GREAT!!!

Buttoned everything up, 30 mile test drive to get temp up and test at highway speeds. Still running and sounding great. :p

My saga is complete!

Tough little engines!!!!!:D

Thanks again to all for past and present input.

Steve

Last edited:

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
What about the tensioner? You make no mention of looking at, touching, or adjusting it.