New to TDIClub? Introduce yourself here!

Gippeto

TDI
2003 Jetta sedan
Hello from Alberta, Canada.

Completely new to the entire TDI "thing", bought an '03 Jetta sedan yesterday and have been doing a bit of research toward solving what I had perceived as some "minor" issues.
Perhaps less minor than first blush would indicate...
I have a decent OBDII scan tool, but that is less than adequate for the VW should I need to do a timing belt and adjust the injection timing. Found out about the VCSD tools from Ross-Tech, but not sure what I need to cover the bases.
Wish to be able to perform most basic maintenance on the car.
One of the "minor" issues is a lack of keys. I have one key, but no fob. Found "fixmyvw.com"...okay, I can get keys cut. Found a video on youtube showing how to program the fob with only one key (pop the door lock out), so no problem there.
But what do I need to deal with the RFID chip in the key? Will the VCSD tool allow one to deal with that or is it a different tool...Vag Tacho is what I found.
If I'm going to drop $$$ at the dealer to get the job done, would prefer to put those funds toward a tool and DIY...capability is KING.
Car came with a service manual, but no owners manual...is there anything in the owners manual that isn't in the service manual...enough to make it worth getting?

Thanks,
Al

elcid86

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
I think I introduced myself a few years back when we bought a ‘12 Golf TDI for my son. We ended up selling it back to VW (he’s still upset with me about that—I am a bit too).

Just picked up a ‘15 Golf TDI SEL for the wife. Sold her ‘08 TSX. (She’s still a bit upset too! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GEFP

Veteran Member
TDI
2- 2001 Jettas, 2 - 2002 Jettas (1 for parts) 2003 1.8t Jetta (parts) 2014 Jetta
Ok so I'm supposed to introduce myself here. I work as a mechanic/handyman in my local community.

I've been a long time VW fan. My first car was a 1972 Beetle which I really enjoyed. Fast forward a number of years and my wife and I are the owners of a used 2002 TDI Jetta. We bought that car in about 2006 till it was totalled by heavily kissing a deer. We bought a new 2011 TDI Jetta and drove it for three years and traded it off on a 2014 TDI. Again a Jetta.

One of my neighbours decided not to pay a bill so I put a lien on his land. This last fall he sold his land and I got a cheque. Over $4000! So what to do with this money?

I've been watching the Alberta Kijiji adds for about 6 month's prior to getting the cheque. I've noticed that B4 TDI Jettas (1999.5 - 2003) had increased in value by about $1500 during that time. So I bought 2-2001's. Both white and built within 5 months of each other. Now how to differentiate between the two. Last 3 digits of the VIN. 636 and 140. 636 is right now my $500 daily driver. It needed a lot of small things repaired and a few big ones. With the VCDS that I purchased I've found out why it's so gutless. I just need to go through the low power thread and diagnose if I need an ecm or the adjuster in the injection pump or it just has wiring problems. At some point it'll also need a timing belt and a clutch.

140 is an automatic that is actually in very nice shape. I could drive it home but had to really let off on the throttle when it shifts into 4th. It is going to get the transmission out of the original 2002 that I bought back from the insurance company with the intention of using it for parts. So I'm now in the process of gathering up all the new parts I need before I start the process.

I also modified a trailer frame that I had so I can put these cars on the trailer for when I'm working on them. That way I can work under them easily and still move them in and out of my shop if I need the room for other projects.

thumpper

TDI
Complete noob here so thought I would introduce myself for I will probably start searching through the forum for assistance and issues and improvements on a newly acquired TDI.

Just purchased a 2005 TDI Beetle 5spd which will be the first VW I purchased along with a diesel too.

Come from a background with mustangs and also tacomas and have always looked at the TDI's. Kick myself in the butt for not buying a left over 2015 sportwagon last march when they were allowed to sell the new old stock ones. Settling on the beetle for it is in great condition and is a manual too even though was looking and wanting 4 doors.

TB/H20 Pump was recently replaced along with the oil too. Will be performing own maintenance and already found the oil page. Already have been searching for a skid plate for it to protect the pan. Time to start searching and reading up on these. (EGR is still on it along with the cats)

Nugget3816

TDI
02 Beetle 1.9

Okay gentleman here's the question I've got a 2002 Volkswagen New Beetle 1.9 TDI and I don't know if it's a vacuum issue or what it is but I've replaced the actuator and if I disconnect the vacuum line to the actuator the car has no problem revving but when I hook the actuator up I can go to about 3800 RPMs and that's where it'll stop. Now if I leave the actuator disconnected and drive it down the road 1st gear 2nd gear no problem as soon as it hits third it falls on its face if I shut the car off break the vacuum start it back up no problem until I hit 3rd gear and then it falls on its face again can somebody give me an idea what to look for.

Dutchie

TDI
A4 B5 1.8t
Good day fellas. Im bas, aka dutchie, im 25 yo and live in Amsterdam. I curently drive a Audi A4 B5 Quattro Avant 1.8t gas. Because i drive quite a lot these days and i van fill up the tank at work im considering slapping a 1.9tdi in it. Well, i Will post may question in the apropriate sub section.

Cheers, dutchie

Osmo79

TDI
05.5 Jetta TDI, ALH Vanagon conversion in progress
Osmo, here. Just checking in. Have been lurking here for a while now as I prep an 01 ALH for an MTDI conversion to replace the stock 1.6 NA in my 82 Vanagon. I have the engine stripped for cleaning and new gaskets etc. I'm waiting on a few parts to complete the engine assembly, but the basic specs are 70k mile ALH with PD130 intake, AAZ ex. manifold and GT2052 turbo, 300 TDI Land Rover injection pump, Saab intercooler.
Just picked up a new daily driver 05.5 Jetta TDI so I can keep the miles off my Titan XD. This is my fourth VW, and makes three diesels in my fleet now!
Kim
My two VW's

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Osmo, look out for AndyBees, he's done a conversion as well (wealth of knowledge).

theodore

TDI
2) 1996 b4 Passat
My oh my TDI !!!

SO i was fixing these beaters with a heater that my kids would bring home(cheap cars for college students) rabbits with diesels). Then son tells me thanks dad but i met this girl and she has a car..., So starting to soup-up these little engines with turbos and other performance mods, then found a 1.9 Passat that was broke and spent a grand on fixng that car and WOw what a difference, and then i get this one with Stage 3 (rocket chip, oversized nozzles k04) and well i have a new hobby now, wanting to swap one of my 1z's into a 1981 Caddy. I have bought two parts donors and my daily driver is the B4V Passat.
Oh and found history of my car here, aint the internet cool???
WVWHG83A3TE072254
questions,
I heard the ECU must be matched to the speedometer???
These B4's only count to 300K on speedo? then start at zero?

I like German cars German Shepherds and German beer! but i'm Scot whas up wit dat?
Theo 509 423 3257 text only please

Anthony1019

TDI
golf gt
first deisel 07 gt 125kw bmn

hi there car is doing regen cycles not far apart and becoming shorter span ,. dpf light is not coming on with a dpf instructional in mfd . take for a highway run and it clears .. was looking at putting a new dpf in and starting fresh so i know where i am at. can anyone give me a link to a how to replace dpf diy thanks all

mighelle

TDI
vw t3 syncro
hi at all, i m michele from italy, i m sick from my fxxxing van
i spent to much time and money to his, it s love and hate in the same time :):)

swoods

TDI
2005 Jetta TDI (233,500 miles & counting!)

Hi all! Have been lurking occasionally on the forum for years but figured I should finally introduce myself.
Proud owner of a 2005 TDI Jetta; purchased used (one prior owner) in 2011 with mileage sitting at about 103,764 miles. Just passed the 233,000 mark.
Love my car but getting constant encouragement to ditch it since it's "not reliable". No major repair (*knock on wood*), just regular maintenance.
Anyone else have to deal with constant suggestions to get rid of your high mileage cars!?
Hoping to keep the car going for another few years at least! Would love to hit the 300,000 mile mark!

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Hi all! Have been lurking occasionally on the forum for years but figured I should finally introduce myself.
Proud owner of a 2005 TDI Jetta; purchased used (one prior owner) in 2011 with mileage sitting at about 103,764 miles. Just passed the 233,000 mark.
Love my car but getting constant encouragement to ditch it since it's "not reliable". No major repair (*knock on wood*), just regular maintenance.
Anyone else have to deal with constant suggestions to get rid of your high mileage cars!?
Hoping to keep the car going for another few years at least! Would love to hit the 300,000 mile mark!
That is not high mileage for a 13-year-old TDI -- just average. And at about 20k miles a year it will probably take 15 years or more to reach the high-mileage category.

Inhabor

TDI
Vw bus tdi conversion

Hi guys I'm inhabor and I'm a newbie. Doing a tbi conversion and looking for advise. Anyone with a vw bus tdi conversion here? Any tbi gurus in Florida?
Thanks

Jozzie

TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
Hey all, new the forum not to Audi's though.
I'm the owner of a local Audi forum in Vancouver BC Canada.
Picked up a 2014 Audi Q5 TDI previous had a Audi B6 A4 1.8T and a B5 A4 1.8t.

Super stoked on my new to me Audi TDI. Still can't get over the power this thing has.

dtr

TDI
2009 Passat B6, 2007 EOS 2.0TDI
Hi,

I'm in UK, currently running B6 Passat CR and EOS PD (sort of convertible golf mkV), both 2.0TDIs.

Acidline303

TDI
prospective buyer
Hey everyone, noob here. Have never owned a TDI but am currently shopping in IL and the surrounding area to close a deal on one this weekend. Lots of 04-06 Jettas and Passats available in the 115-200K mile range and just as many salesmen who give deflected answers when asked about the belt/water pump service.

Which subsection of the forum is best for me to make a thread asking for some general buying advice?

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Hey everyone, noob here. Have never owned a TDI but am currently shopping in IL and the surrounding area to close a deal on one this weekend. Lots of 04-06 Jettas and Passats available in the 115-200K mile range and just as many salesmen who give deflected answers when asked about the belt/water pump service.

Which subsection of the forum is best for me to make a thread asking for some general buying advice?
You should be looking for a privately-owned TDI from an owner who has complete maintenance and repair records. Your mention of "Salesmen" tells me that you're looking on used-car lots; they get their inventory from auto auctions so of course have no records about timing belts or anything else.

Take your time. Do not buy the first or second or third TDI you look at, unless you are accompanied by someone who knows a lot about them. I searched for over a year for the last Golf TDI I bought (not the one in my signature), and just a couple weeks after I bought the blue one an even better one was offered for sale locally at a lower price.

Research first. Decide exactly what you want: Golf, Jetta, Jetta wagon. Avoid those with automatic transmissions. And look at those records closely.

Last edited:

Acidline303

TDI
prospective buyer
Thanks. I appreciate the info. I have been hunting for the last couple months. I definitely would prefer a manual car, though most of the manuals for sale here privately seem to be higher mileage than the credit union is comfortable with.

What exactly is the issue with mid 2000s automatic transmissions, aside from higher repair costs/less performance and fun than a manual?

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks. I appreciate the info. I have been hunting for the last couple months. I definitely would prefer a manual car, though most of the manuals for sale here privately seem to be higher mileage than the credit union is comfortable with.

What exactly is the issue with mid 2000s automatic transmissions, aside from higher repair costs/less performance and fun than a manual?
The reason you are finding TDIs with manual transmission have more miles is because the automatics did not last as long. As the cost of replacing an AT is so high, those went to the salvage yards and then the crusher. Keep looking, try to raise as much cash as you can so you don't have to borrow from the CU. And so you'll be ready to jump if the right car becomes available.

Check the TDI Cars For Sale forum every day http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=51

yabay

TDI
Caddy MK3 1.9 TDI PD105
Hi, I'm fromTurkey, currently i have a 2009 polo 1.4 TDI and 2005 1.9 TDI caddy.

For a long time I'm reading this forum and love the community.

KDNelson03

TDI
2006 MKV Jetta TDI BRM W/DSG
New TDI Owner

Good Morning!

I was a fan of TDI's for many years but I finally got in the market for a economical car after I moved and snagged up a 2006 Jetta 1.9 TDI with the DSG. It's the model with Navigation so it came with heated leather seats and the whole nine yards. The interior was in excellent shape with only some wear on the radio and window buttons. It had 174k miles on it and had dealer maintenance done on it that was visible from a Carfax report.

I had to replace the battery early on but I blame the previous owner for that and I recently put some fresh rubber on it after Costco had a deal on BF Goodrich Advantage T/A Sports. All but one of my own tires had plugs in it and I noticed slow leaks.

Having picked up a used car with uncertain regular maintenance I'm slowly going over every part of the car but am falling in love. My father is an Amsoil dealer and has already sent me some oil to get started. I'm reading up on the dual mass flywheel and I think I might have to give it some attention soon. I'm happy enough with this car that I'm planning on seeing how far I can run the car before I get bored or it blows up.

-Ken

Rgvolo

TDI
2015 sportwagen SEL
Purchased a factory buyback

Hi All,
I started searching for a Golf Sportwagen TDI last November. I looked at dealers all over the country because I wanted a certified vehicle. Just as I was about to sign on the dotted line for a car from Minnesota my local dealer called and said there was one on the “auction” from the manufacturer that was the 2015 SEL trim level that I wanted. They said it was a buyback car that would have the “fix” done and that it would be VW certified. It wasn’t my first choice in color (silk blue) but by buying local allowed me trade in my current vehicle on the Sportwagen. When the car came in everything was fine except instead of the 18” Durban wheels it had 16” wheels that were beat up and looked like they came from a previous model year. The dealer promised me they would buy another SEL from the auction with the Durbans and swap them if I closed on the car. I did buy the car and drove it for 6 weeks while they screwed around getting the wheels I was promised. During that 6 weeks of driving the car with the 16” wheels and new tires I got combined city/hwy mileage 43mpg and on a highway trip 53mpg. After they put the Durbans on my combined mileage dropped to 39. I haven’t been on a highway trip yet but I assume I will see a like drop there too. Originally I couln’t figue out why someone would buy the SEL trim level and change the wheels on a car that didn’t have enough miles on it to even need new tires (20k miles). I thought the dealer maybe pulled a fast one one me. If it was VW certified why were the wrong wheels on it? They also tried to have me take delivery on the car with a small crack in the windsheild. How did they miss that in the certification process? I’m more than happy with the car now that I have the Durbans and a new windshield. And I can see that maybe the previous owner may have switched wheels for better mileage. I would like better mileage as well so my question to the forum is how common is it to take the 18’s off and replace with the 16’s?? The look of the Durbans is one of the reasons I wanted the SEL. And if I switch to 16’s, which ones do I choose? Thanks!

B.Woody

TDI
2004 Jetta
New to the thread.

Good Evening,
I just purchased my 2nd TDI and my 3rd VW diesel. I had a Rabbit back in the 80's. I purchased a Passat TDI that was a 14 model, but it got bought back. I picked up a 2004 Jetta TDI from the original owner this weekend. I was just wanting to know what type engine that it had. I know it is a 1.9. The guy had all the records of maintenance. He said the MAF sensor set the engine code last week. He cleaned it, but it the light came on with me and the car lost power. I have ordered an OEM Bosch MAF sensor that will be here this week. I hope this brings the power back. The car has 163K miles, but is in great shape. Any information will be great. I am new to the thread, so I am trying to learn where to post. I appreciate any input and your patience.

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
Good Evening,
I just purchased my 2nd TDI and my 3rd VW diesel. I had a Rabbit back in the 80's. I purchased a Passat TDI that was a 14 model, but it got bought back. I picked up a 2004 Jetta TDI from the original owner this weekend. I was just wanting to know what type engine that it had. I know it is a 1.9. The guy had all the records of maintenance. He said the MAF sensor set the engine code last week. He cleaned it, but it the light came on with me and the car lost power. I have ordered an OEM Bosch MAF sensor that will be here this week. I hope this brings the power back. The car has 163K miles, but is in great shape. Any information will be great. I am new to the thread, so I am trying to learn where to post. I appreciate any input and your patience.
You have the Pumpe Duse engine (first year in North America). The system is a little more complex than the earlier design but gains 10 HP and 22 lb-ft torque. Using the correct spec oil is very important as the injectors are actuated by the camshaft. Make sure the timing belt was changed and keep track of the miles on it (don't try to avoid changing it when it's due - disastrous consequences if you don't)

Here's a nice overview:
https://www.myarchive.us/richc/VW_TDI_with_PumpeDuse.pdf

Last edited:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You have the Pumpe Duse engine (first year in North America). The system is a little more complex than the earlier design but gains 10 HP and 22 lb-ft torque. Using the correct spec oil is very important as the injectors are actuated by the camshaft.
Just an FYI. Many TDI Club members have been using API-rated oils (CI-4, CJ-4, now CK-4) since roughly 2005, with excellent results. Typically Mobil 1 5W40, Rotella T 5W40, or similar synthetic oils in the 5W40 viscosity.

Last edited:

fixerbob

TDI
1990 Jetta, 1999 Beetle
continuing alternator problems

i currently own a 1990 Jetta with a 1.6 engine and am either looking for a 2003 Golf or interested in putting my current engine in a lighter body - a Cabrio or a locost 2 seater. I love my Jetta but I am building a tiny house (of foam) and expect to need more than 54 hp to move it. The Jetta did pull a filled utility trailer from FL with no problems until I hit the 4000 foot San Diego mountains.
It also ran to Cabo San Lucas and back with no trailer but perfect operation.
Now, tho, I have had 3 alternators in 3 months and have no clue as to why they are dying. My Bentley states positively that there are only the alternator (with attached Regulator) and the battery in the charge circuit and that all other circuits are fused thus I can't have "wiring issues" as the lady at Sears is insisting as she denies me my warranty. I suspect that some of the members may still remember an earlier VW of that period and may know what is wrong?
Anyway, glad to be here.

Eddi

TDI
Golf 4,T5
Hallo,Freue mich hier im Forum zu lesen und bei Fehlern beheben am Auto beizutragen!Bin zwar in meinem Land (Deutschland) bei Webseiten wie Motor-Talk angemeldet aber es ist auch Interessant Berichte bei ihnen zu lesen .Ich bin 56 Jahre alt und fahre ein Golf 4 TDI Pumpe-Düse .Bin beruflich Baggerfahrer im Tief und Straßenbau ! Versuch am Auto so viel wie möglich selber zu reparieren um Geld zu sparen!

Eddi

TDI
Golf 4,T5
Hello, Looking forward to the forum to read Wennig and fix errors on the car! 'M Although registered in my country (Germany) in websites such as engine talk but it is also interesting to read reports with them .I am 56 years old and drive a Golf 4 TDI pump-nozzle.Bin professional excavator driver in low and road construction! Try to repair as much as you can yourself on the car to save money!