Problems with lifting?

TDI
2001 TDI Beetle-391,000 miles
I'm fairly new to upgrading my 01 beetle. But I lifted my bug about three inches and threw some 235/75r15 Goodyear Wrangler Radials on stock steelies. I had to put 15mm spacers on it to make them fit, there is a bit of scraping on turning. So I'm wondering if anyone else did the same thing and found any major problems over a long period of time.
(did it for upstate New York winters)

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Put in a standalone car GPS to get accurate speed. Some of them even have multiple odometers.

casioqv

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
Some notes on the largest tires that reliably fit as reported by people with MKIV/A4 VWs on this forum:

• 205/70/15 at stock height
  • 205/75/15 with 2" metalnerd lift
  • 215/75/15 with custom fabbed front struts, lift, and modified liners

The tires you're using look awesome, but I think they are just too big, without a lot more modifications (e.g. cutting away fenders or such).

Last edited:

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
I am running a custom 2" lift with 16 inch rims and 215/65R16 tires. They fit great and i haven't had any issues. One problem I have heard of with the three inch lift is tire to wheel well clearance, and if your front tires were to ever leave the ground the drive shafts will bang/scrape the control arms. Other than that have fun!!