Broken Engine Cover...

Jedadiah

Veteran Member
TDI
Former: '15 Passat TDI SE 6M, '15 Golf S 6M and '10 JSW
So I did the 40k service on my 2015 Passat today, and when I when to pull the engine cover, I noticed it had a large crack that someone had tried to glue back together.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
I didn't crack it nor glue it, but there have been two dealers involved since I last pulled the cover off myself, so I'm not sure what my best recourse is. The dealer where I had bought the car in Louisville had thrown in VW care, so I had the 30k service done by them 10k ago, and then phase 2 was done a little more recently in Lexington. There's no way for me to know who actually broke and "repaired" the engine cover really, although the second dealer didn't alert me to the problem. Would I be best off contacting VW directly? I've generally had acceptable service from both old these dealers in the past, but....

Jedadiah

Veteran Member
TDI
Former: '15 Passat TDI SE 6M, '15 Golf S 6M and '10 JSW
The dumbest part is that if they hadn't splurged glue on it, I might have thought I cracked it myself. I know they aren't super sturdy.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
First thing I do is throw those worthless engine coves in the trash. When I raise the hood I want to see the engine. Any leaks, belts etc. Toss it, or if you reallly need to have one go to the junkyard and pull one.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
if you reallly need to have one go to the junkyard and pull one.
Do you have many '15 Passat TDI's in the junkyards around you?

Cause I haven't seen any Passats newer than probably 2008 and certainly no TDI's ever make it into the yard.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
There are wrecks. Somebody’s in the wrong place at the wrong time.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
mine got sold strait for scrap, anything above 100k miles didn't even get a bid from local yards. my engine cover was the ckra and busted up anyway

Last edited:

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen dsg and 2015 Passat 6 M/T
Dealer broke mine also but not so badly. They replaced it right away. I would go to the last dealer and tell them exactly what you told us that they were the last to touch it and you aren't sure that they did it but nobody there alerted you to it.......

Without any expectations, see if they will replace it for you. Polite and friendly is how I would do it especially since you said you like their shop.......

Make sure you lube the cover when you get one so that it pulls off more easily. They really should have reinforced these a little.....

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
I always gave mine a quick shot of silicone lube on each point-