www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Touareg TDIs

VW Touareg TDIs This is a general discussion about Touareg TDIs. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old June 26th, 2018, 05:40   #1
showdown 42
Veteran Member

Default water ingested in 2014,15, 16 3.0 TDIs ?

I was reading in another site about water in air filters on these yr TREGs that caused massive engine damage. It seemed to be from ingestion from rain, not flooding. Any thoughts? I'm about to buy a 2016 TDI. THX
showdown 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2018, 21:32   #2
Yeti35
Veteran Member

First I have heard of it and I have been in another forum for these cars for a very long time. I have seen nothing mentioned there at all on this topic.
Old June 28th, 2018, 04:08   #3
showdown 42
Veteran Member

Default water ingestion in TREGs

Yeti, check out Club Touareg site.
Old June 28th, 2018, 05:19   #4
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Yep, there is a drain hole at the low point of the air inlet tube to the air filter that can get clogged up and cause water to pool up in there, and if the engine gets a big enough slug of it....

The pipe in question has one of those little rubber grommet things similar to some cars' sunroof drains, or a miniature version of the B5 Passat cowl chamber drains. They get clogged up.

Just do a google image search for this part number: 7P6-129-609-A and you will see what I mean.

You can take the tube out and push that little rubber plug out altogether, OR you can just at every service make sure no debris is in there.

The tube itself is angled UP at the front, which is dumb. So water can find its way down under and around the headlamp, hood, etc. and if it finds the giant hole, it goes right in. They should have angled it DOWN.

Last edited by oilhammer; June 28th, 2018 at 05:25.
oilhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2018, 08:30   #5
showdown 42
Veteran Member

Surprising that the intake tube would be positioned so low in a vehicle of this type that is used by some to ford streams. Weird. You don't suppose the service guys do preventative clearing of this tube do you. I know the answer to that question. I will have to be proactive I guess. THX for your response Oilhammer
Old June 28th, 2018, 08:35   #6
oilhammer

Well it is up pretty high... I do not think you'd be driving through standing water up to the headlights. And the fact that there IS a drain of sorts at the low spot tells me they at least knew there was a possibility of water resting in there.

This is probably one of those deals where the conditions have to be "just right" for it to happen, but it can happen.

Pull your air cleaner box out and pull that inlet tube out and post a pic of what you find, as it may be a while before I get to see a T'reg in here.
Old June 28th, 2018, 14:42   #7
showdown 42
Veteran Member

I just traded my 2012 TDI for a 2016 "new".Treg,so It will take a few rains before anything might be going on. I'll keep you informed on what I find when I pull the filter. THX
Old June 28th, 2018, 19:25   #8
Yeti35
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by showdown 42 View Post
Yeti, check out Club Touareg site.
I didn't see a post about it. I am well aware of the site, I'm a Mod there. I'll be honest I don't pay attention to the '11 and newer Touaregs.
Old June 29th, 2018, 05:16   #9
oilhammer

Well now you know!
Old July 14th, 2018, 12:39   #10
showdown 42
Veteran Member

A question to follow up on the water entering the air box. Is the only area that water can enter on the passenger side of the engine compartment? I saw the pictures showing that side with a flap of sorts to prevent water from running down hood and onto the intake pipe. Seems like a simple fix if that is all there is to it.
Old December 5th, 2018, 07:34   #11
ESA31.8T

TDI(s): Jetta

I read that same thread and found this:

https://i.imgur.com/ULpvs9r.jpg

I cleaned out the drains in the air tube and the bottom of the air box and then removed the air tube drain all together. I also drilled about 8 1/2" holes along the front portion of the air tube. I then used a garden hose with high pressure and that seemed to stop 95% of the water from reaching the air box.

Last edited by ESA31.8T; December 5th, 2018 at 07:37.
ESA31.8T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2018, 07:39   #12
ESA31.8T

TDI(s): Jetta

Sorry for the big pics above. You can see about 1" deep water standing in the air tube, this was before I cleaned the drains. Our Touareg is a 2015 LUX TDI with the air tube cover. Sorry, no swiss cheese air pics.
Old December 10th, 2018, 10:45   #13
MondoTech

I pulled out my filter and found water damage as well. I think everyone with a T4 (2015-2017) is going to have this problem. If you're in the US and you find your filter has water damage, please take pics and submit a complaint to the NHTSA.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

Maybe also mention that there's a recall in Germany and China for this issue, but not in the US.

This is a good video on how to get the airbox open: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE7YcdLqego

The only difference is the MAF harness removal, on the T4s the tab to release the harness connector is on the right side of the connector. Just take a screw driver and gentle push the tab away from the connector to release it.
MondoTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2018, 07:54   #14
showdown 42
Veteran Member

I would still like to know if this issue is a function of car wash high pressure spray getting into the filter area. How many of these problems have happened to people who don't use car washes regularly??