Claims Review Committee Experience?

halbert

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 sportwagen
With some of the salvage vehicle/bad title claims getting resolved, I was wondering if anyone who has a claim under appeal has heard anything from the CRC?

A week or so after the February settlement modification, I received a 'restitution only' offer for my JSW which is clearly a group II vehicle (original owner, damaged in November 2016, operable under the definition, salvage certificate, not repaired). I promptly sent in an appeal to the committee, and have heard zero. Nothing. I've emailed the committee a couple of times to ask about status, and heard nothing.

How about anyone else?

Jkhalil123

TDI
golf
i get this email today,We write to notify you of the decision on your appeal to the Court-appointed Claims Review Committee. The Claims Review Committee is composed of one representative from Volkswagen, one representative from Settlement Class Counsel, and a Court-appointed “Neutral,” who is called upon to resolve any disagreements between the Claims Review Committee’s other members, should they arise.* Under the terms of the 2.0-Liter Class Action Settlement, determinations by the Claims Review Committee constitute final decisions that are not subject to any further appeal.*

The Claims Review Committee has carefully reviewed your appeal and determined that you are not eligible for benefits under the terms of the 2.0-Liter Class Action Settlement. Your vehicle is considered ineligible because it is a salvage branded (total loss) vehicle and is therefore not operable or cannot be legally registered and/or driven.* The stated goal of the 2.0-Liter Class Action Settlement is to “compensate owners or lessees of Eligible Vehicles for any harm they suffered as a result of the emissions issues and to ensure that Volkswagen’s 2.0-liter TDI vehicles do not generate excess NOx emissions.”* Because your vehicle cannot be legally driven and you are not the owner or lessee who suffered the original harm caused by the vehicle’s TDI emissions issues, your claim is not consistent with the goal of the 2.0-Liter Class Action Settlement and is not eligible for compensation.** As such, your appeal to the Claims Review Committee is denied.* Because this vehicle has been deemed ineligible to participate in the TDI Settlement Claim Program, no new claims submitted under this VIN will be accepted.* For further information on the Settlement, including the Court-approved Settlement Agreement and Notice, please visit https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/en/2-0-models/.*

halbert

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 sportwagen
i get this email today,We write to notify you of the decision on your appeal to the Court-appointed Claims Review Committee. The Claims Review Committee is composed of one representative from Volkswagen, one representative from Settlement Class Counsel, and a Court-appointed “Neutral,” who is called upon to resolve any disagreements between the Claims Review Committee’s other members, should they arise.* Under the terms of the 2.0-Liter Class Action Settlement, determinations by the Claims Review Committee constitute final decisions that are not subject to any further appeal.*

The Claims Review Committee has carefully reviewed your appeal and determined that you are not eligible for benefits under the terms of the 2.0-Liter Class Action Settlement. Your vehicle is considered ineligible because it is a salvage branded (total loss) vehicle and is therefore not operable or cannot be legally registered and/or driven.* The stated goal of the 2.0-Liter Class Action Settlement is to “compensate owners or lessees of Eligible Vehicles for any harm they suffered as a result of the emissions issues and to ensure that Volkswagen’s 2.0-liter TDI vehicles do not generate excess NOx emissions.”* Because your vehicle cannot be legally driven and you are not the owner or lessee who suffered the original harm caused by the vehicle’s TDI emissions issues, your claim is not consistent with the goal of the 2.0-Liter Class Action Settlement and is not eligible for compensation.** As such, your appeal to the Claims Review Committee is denied.* Because this vehicle has been deemed ineligible to participate in the TDI Settlement Claim Program, no new claims submitted under this VIN will be accepted.* For further information on the Settlement, including the Court-approved Settlement Agreement and Notice, please visit https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/en/2-0-models/.*
That is discouraging, they are taking the position that operability is the same as able to be registered and driven on the road.

If you don't mind, could you add whether you're an original or eligible owner, or whether you purchased this vehicle from an insurance lot or auction or similar?

Jkhalil123

TDI
golf
That is discouraging, they are taking the position that operability is the same as able to be registered and driven on the road.
If you don't mind, could you add whether you're an original or eligible owner, or whether you purchased this vehicle from an insurance lot or auction or similar?
i bought them in 2016 from insurance auction but still have salvage titles

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I received a decision on whether the purchase of a POV 2015 Gen 3 2.0L TDI that had Phase 1 completed before a VW dealer sold it to me qualifies for Phase 2 restitution when Phase 2 fix is applied. Took 5 months to get a response back. It was denied (consistent with what others in this forum understood, but I don't think they had feedback from the CRC on this question). No explanation as to why the appeal was denied. But went through the process to verify, and it is verified.

halbert

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 sportwagen
The latest mass mailing reminder about claim filing makes me wonder--if a claim is at the CRC, does the requirement that a signed offer letter has to be received by VW no later than Dec 1 still apply? This suggests that the CRC MUST reply to all claims no later than mid-November.

Has anyone heard anything from the CRC lately?

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
My experience with the CRC. 3.0 Treg Rebuilt/salvage title that was formally denied 7/2017, got this letter last Tuesday. Yesterday I got a telephone call telling me to restart a claim in the portal, which I did. Offer letter generated and all documents waiting for review.

Offer letter was Vehicle value + 1/2 restitution.

RE: Volkswagen / Audi / Porsche 3.0-Liter TDI Settlement Program

Claim No.: 1705812345

Dear Joe Momma:

We write to notify you of the decision on your appeal to the Court-appointed Claims Review Committee. The Claims Review Committee is composed of one representative from Volkswagen, one representative from Settlement Class Counsel, and a Court-appointed “Neutral,” who is called upon to resolve any disagreements between the Claims Review Committee’s other members, should they arise. Under the terms of the 3.0-Liter Class Action Settlement, determinations by the Claims Review Committee constitute final decisions that are not subject to any further appeal.

The Claims Review Committee has carefully reviewed your appeal and determined that you may be eligible for certain benefits under the terms of the 3.0-Liter Class Action Settlement. Because you acquired your rebuilt salvage (rebuilt after total loss) 3.0-Liter Generation One vehicle after September 18, 2015, the former owner of your vehicle may be entitled to, and may have already claimed, the owner restitution component associated with the potential settlement compensation for your vehicle. Therefore, your vehicle may be eligible only for the vehicle value component of the settlement compensation, which is derived from the September 2015 NADA Used Car Guide Clean Trade value, with adjustments for mileage and manufacturer-installed options. If the former owner of your vehicle has not yet submitted a claim for owner restitution and does not do so by the end of the 3.0-Liter Generation One Class Action Settlement Claims Period (June 1, 2019), you may be eligible to receive owner restitution in addition to the vehicle value component of the settlement compensation. Alternatively, if an emissions modification is approved for your 3.0-Liter Generation One vehicle, you may choose to complete the approved emissions modification and receive owner restitution. If you receive the approved emissions modification for your vehicle, you will no longer be able to complete a buyback.

Volkswagen Group of America will contact you if further action is required on your part. The deadline to submit a complete and valid claim in the 3.0-liter Class Action Settlement is June 1, 2019, and you will not be able to alter your selected remedy after that date. Please also note that you must complete your selected remedy by September 30, 2019.

Sincerely,

Claims Review Committee

--

Claims Review Committee

P.O. Box 214500

Auburn Hills, MI 48321

crc@vwcourtsettlement.com

lvrpl

TDI
Passat TDI
My experience with the CRC. 3.0 Treg Rebuilt/salvage title that was formally denied 7/2017, got this letter last Tuesday. Yesterday I got a telephone call telling me to restart a claim in the portal, which I did. Offer letter generated and all documents waiting for review.
Offer letter was Vehicle value + 1/2 restitution.
RE: Volkswagen / Audi / Porsche 3.0-Liter TDI Settlement Program
Claim No.: 1705812345
Dear Joe Momma:
We write to notify you of the decision on your appeal to the Court-appointed Claims Review Committee. The Claims Review Committee is composed of one representative from Volkswagen, one representative from Settlement Class Counsel, and a Court-appointed “Neutral,” who is called upon to resolve any disagreements between the Claims Review Committee’s other members, should they arise. Under the terms of the 3.0-Liter Class Action Settlement, determinations by the Claims Review Committee constitute final decisions that are not subject to any further appeal.
The Claims Review Committee has carefully reviewed your appeal and determined that you may be eligible for certain benefits under the terms of the 3.0-Liter Class Action Settlement. Because you acquired your rebuilt salvage (rebuilt after total loss) 3.0-Liter Generation One vehicle after September 18, 2015, the former owner of your vehicle may be entitled to, and may have already claimed, the owner restitution component associated with the potential settlement compensation for your vehicle. Therefore, your vehicle may be eligible only for the vehicle value component of the settlement compensation, which is derived from the September 2015 NADA Used Car Guide Clean Trade value, with adjustments for mileage and manufacturer-installed options. If the former owner of your vehicle has not yet submitted a claim for owner restitution and does not do so by the end of the 3.0-Liter Generation One Class Action Settlement Claims Period (June 1, 2019), you may be eligible to receive owner restitution in addition to the vehicle value component of the settlement compensation. Alternatively, if an emissions modification is approved for your 3.0-Liter Generation One vehicle, you may choose to complete the approved emissions modification and receive owner restitution. If you receive the approved emissions modification for your vehicle, you will no longer be able to complete a buyback.
Volkswagen Group of America will contact you if further action is required on your part. The deadline to submit a complete and valid claim in the 3.0-liter Class Action Settlement is June 1, 2019, and you will not be able to alter your selected remedy after that date. Please also note that you must complete your selected remedy by September 30, 2019.
Sincerely,
Claims Review Committee
--
Claims Review Committee
P.O. Box 214500
Auburn Hills, MI 48321
crc@vwcourtsettlement.com
When you submitted your appeal, did you sent it in via USPS mail? Or were you able to submit it via fax and/or email?

halbert

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 sportwagen
So I got this email today:

The Claims Review Committee (CRC) has received your VW settlement
appeal and is reviewing your claim. As you may know, the CRC consists
of one representative from Volkswagen, one representative from
Settlement Class Counsel, and a Court-appointed neutral who will be
called upon to resolve disagreements between the Claims Committee's
other members, should they arise.

You will receive a written response once the CRC has made a final
determination on your appeal. This process may take several weeks, as
the CRC will consider all of the relevant materials in your claim.

It only took them 4 1/2 months after I sent in the appeal documents to get this out to me.....

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium

It only took them 4 1/2 months after I sent in the appeal documents to get this out to me.....
You may not like the timing, but I think the CRC is within their time restrictions regarding getting decisions made within the time periods set forth by the settlement.

What is your appeal?

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man

My wait was one year...

halbert

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 sportwagen
You may not like the timing, but I think the CRC is within their time restrictions regarding getting decisions made within the time periods set forth by the settlement.

What is your appeal?
'14 JSW, original owner. Damaged but operable under the original definition (engine runs, can move under it's own power), totaled by insurance. Took reduced insurance settlement to maintain ownership. To keep possession, had to convert to salvage certificate (PA). In limbo since. In late February (just a few days after the revised settlement was published) received an eligible owner restitution offer--dated in December. Appealed because this is clearly a Group II vehicle in the February revised settlement (never sold at auction, never rebuilt, not the typical 'salvage vehicle' claim.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 JSW, original owner. Damaged but operable under the original definition (engine runs, can move under it's own power), totaled by insurance. Took reduced insurance settlement to maintain ownership. To keep possession, had to convert to salvage certificate (PA). In limbo since. In late February (just a few days after the revised settlement was published) received an eligible owner restitution offer--dated in December. Appealed because this is clearly a Group II vehicle in the February revised settlement (never sold at auction, never rebuilt, not the typical 'salvage vehicle' claim.
So to play this back, your situation is you have a 2014 JSW, which was in an accident under your ownership and declared totaled, you received an insurance settlement for the insured value of the vehicle at that time, and bought it back from the insurance company for a relatively small cost, got a salvage title (which is correct regarding your situation), and you are appealing with the CRC regarding why you are not getting a full buyback payment on your salvage vehicle?

halbert

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 sportwagen
So to play this back, your situation is you have a 2014 JSW, which was in an accident under your ownership and declared totaled, you received an insurance settlement for the insured value of the vehicle at that time, and bought it back from the insurance company for a relatively small cost, got a salvage title (which is correct regarding your situation), and you are appealing with the CRC regarding why you are not getting a full buyback payment on your salvage vehicle?
Correct: My appeal is based on THIS statement in the Feb 26 revised court ruling:
"(ii) Owners who acquired their vehicles prior to September 18, 2015, with a non- branded or salvage rebuilt title may be eligible for both Vehicle Value and Owner Restitution if the vehicles currently have a branded title (including salvage and salvage rebuilt titles), provided that all other eligibility requirements are met. If the vehicle currently has a brand of junk, non-repairable, “parts only,” or any equivalent brand denoting that the vehicle can never be rebuilt or repaired, the vehicle is eligible only for Owner Restitution."

Since from day 1 the definition of "operable" has been that the engine runs and it can move under it's own power, this vehicle meets that, plus at the time of the accident (November 2016) I was told explicitly by VW claims that it WOULD be paid that way--here we are.

The vehicle COULD be repaired--at considerable cost, because in PA a rebuilt vehicle has to basically pass all 'new vehicle' inspection standards to get titled.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
Did you get the fair value of the vehicle from the insurance co after the car was totaled? That was what the car was worth. That was the risk of driving a car which could end up wrecked beyond reasonable fixing. VW was suppose to get these vehicles off the road and you did do that for VW. Not there fault this happened. Not a popular response,but when I did my buy back I parked the car when there was no fix for my 09 JSW until buy back could take place.

Bad situation for you, hope you get a brake.

As far as the people who tried to game the system by buying a junked wrecked VW and get a wind fall,good luck. I have no sympathy. VW has paid dearly for there mistakes.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Correct: My appeal is based on THIS statement in the Feb 26 revised court ruling:
"(ii) Owners who acquired their vehicles prior to September 18, 2015, with a non- branded or salvage rebuilt title may be eligible for both Vehicle Value and Owner Restitution if the vehicles currently have a branded title (including salvage and salvage rebuilt titles), provided that all other eligibility requirements are met. If the vehicle currently has a brand of junk, non-repairable, “parts only,” or any equivalent brand denoting that the vehicle can never be rebuilt or repaired, the vehicle is eligible only for Owner Restitution."

Since from day 1 the definition of "operable" has been that the engine runs and it can move under it's own power, this vehicle meets that, plus at the time of the accident (November 2016) I was told explicitly by VW claims that it WOULD be paid that way--here we are.

The vehicle COULD be repaired--at considerable cost, because in PA a rebuilt vehicle has to basically pass all 'new vehicle' inspection standards to get titled.
Without getting into the technical details, it does appear like you have an Eligible Vehicle that is Operable by the definitions provided Feb 26 revised court ruling.

However, your quoted statement is includes the word "may", which from a legal perspective, provides some opening to other considerations not necessarily stated in the ruling content.

My perspective is that you already received the vehicle value from your insurance company. The amount you paid for it to get it back and get a salvage title on it is likely an amount you will receive for it if you take it to a salvage yard now. The vehicle value you received is today's fair market value (perhaps minus a deductible, don't know the details of your insurance contract). The restitution value VW has was to recover the unusual loss in value these vehicles had from back in Sept. 2015 - which you did not recover. Fair to me is that VW would pay you the vehicle restitution value. With this handling, you would get the same amount as if the accident never happened and you had VW buy-back the vehicle. This is consistent with the offer you already received from VW.

I hope the CRC returns you a timely decision.

yurkin89

TDI
2015 GSW TDI x2
Just turned my last TDI in yesterday and received funds today.

I appealed my claim 6 months ago, with no response for few months.
So I made a new account resubmitted all my documents. Month later my claim started to move forward in the new account. Than I receive an outcome on my old email for the appeal in my favor. About 3 weeks later an offer letter pops in my new account!

If you have appealed I strongly suggest you guys filing a new claim under a new email, cut off date is getting closer. Also strange thing for my other car that I have turned in a while back same thing it’s still showing in limbo on my old email account even though it completely went through on my new email account with out any issues.
Appeal was for a leased car with previous owner, the second wasn’t an appeal.