AdBlue Heater Failure and the Emissions Scandal

lousyg

TDI
VW
My CEL came on yesterday, and a VCDS scan indicates P202A - Reductant Tank Heater Control Circuit / Open Pending. I reset the code and my CEL didn't come on during my commute this morning, but I'm expecting it will next time the temperature drops to the point the heater tries to activate (or maybe sooner).

I've got a 2012 Passat TDI SEL, 110k miles, and I live in Chicago.

I'd like to avoid the $500 for the part and the time it will take to replace it. Someone in another thread suggested waiting to replace it until the emissions problems are addressed. The implication is that whatever VW does to address the emissions might end up affecting the AdBlue system in some way, perhaps requiring replacement of the heater. Since I'm in Chicago, I do depend on the heater, but as we're coming out of winter now, it's unlikely any daytime temperatures will drop to the freezing point of AdBlue until later this year (I park inside at night), so I've got some time.

Here's my question - What does everyone think the likelihood of this is? The P202A/B/205/etc. failures are rampant, but is there reason to believe that VW will ever admit fault and provide compensation or issue a recall? Furthermore, is it likely that the emissions fix will involve the AdBlue system at all, let alone the heater?

If I were to fix it myself now and it ends up being the subject of a recall later, will I qualify for reimbursement even though the work wasn't done professionally?

Thanks for any input!

peterwinkle

TDI
2012 Passat SE
I'm in your same situation, I've had the P202A code for a few weeks now. My opinion is it's unlikely that the emissions fix will have much to do with the adblue heater. The other thing to think about is VW is scrambling to keep customers at this point, where the adblue heater is such an issue (sounds like there is a huge waiting list to even get it fixed at a dealership due to parts avaliability) VW may end up making some kind of recall on it (probably a small chance of it happening but may be worth the wait).

At this point in the year I dont think I'll be seeing 12 degree temperatures in Utah (which is the point that the adblue freezes, If it freezes the car will start the countdown to shut the engine down, I think at that point you have 200 miles). Since the heater being gone wont affect me at this time of year I'm going to wait it out and see if by a small chance VW takes care of the issue. If they fix it great, if they dont fix it I'm not out anything and plan on doing a full DPF/EGR/Adblue removal and tune so I dont have to deal with emissions problems again.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
...this thread should be merged into one of the main AdBlue discussion threads...