2013 Volkswagen Golf MKVII Rendered

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
1.2L, compressed gas? options openingv up?

I see mention of widely varied displacment 1.2 to 2.0. As far as I know, the 1.2 is 3cylinder diesel that goes in the Blue motion. Could this be true?

Also, "designed to carry compressed gas, batteries, or hybrid units". Twin drive sounds good for city dwellers looking for a commuter. This has potential, if you can get an American to stop driving the SUV, that is.

Compressed gas? I saw a moped that uses compressed gas, but not seen serious plans for automotive apps. I think it would have very limited range.

Tim$2

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW
Sorta bridges the design gap between the current Golf and Sirocco? I like it in any case.

vwmk4

Veteran Member
TDI
None at this time, Looking for a nice one though.
I see mention of widely varied displacment 1.2 to 2.0. As far as I know, the 1.2 is 3cylinder diesel that goes in the Blue motion. Could this be true?

Also, "designed to carry compressed gas, batteries, or hybrid units". Twin drive sounds good for city dwellers looking for a commuter. This has potential, if you can get an American to stop driving the SUV, that is.

Compressed gas? I saw a moped that uses compressed gas, but not seen serious plans for automotive apps. I think it would have very limited range.
I believe they were refering to CNG. Compressed Natural Gas, But I may be wrong. Would not be the first time.

diesel-dave

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 wagon TDI, 2003 wagon Tdi, 2013 Q7 Tdi
I believe they were refering to CNG. Compressed Natural Gas, But I may be wrong. Would not be the first time.
there are honda civics with that, you could even buy a home fueling station ( don't know the cost of that though:rolleyes:)

it's nice to see options, Id like our Govt to let us decide, instead of wanting to make all the decisions for us and using our money for "their" wasetful pet projects accomplishing less than nothing.

we can'y survive on one type of fuel, or power source with out taking us back to the dark ages. go VW!! I like it.
I'll buy the diesel model:D

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
There is also a 1.2 L 4-cylinder TSI gasser. It will not be twin-charged though. To keep costs low, it will have a single turbocharger and 2 valves per cylinder. There are/will also be 3-cylinder direct gasoline injected with with- and without forced induction.

RomanL

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 GOLF TDI
sux that they are planning to release it in 2013 after MKVI was just released in 2010.
but then again does it say when it would make its way to US? would it be in 2013? or a year or two behind, just like it was wiht MKVI *(from EU to US?)
i think it looks great.

Jack_Berry

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta sedan
got to put my 6'3" 260 self in the back seat of a recent 4 door golf. hope they improve the rear suspension above the saturn ion level if they expect to overtake toyota.

course a nms v-6 diesel might go a long ways toward that goal also. it would be so nice for the family of taller than avg children. me 6'3, wife 5'9" , son 5'10, son 5'11" son 6'1". putting any 4 of us in the mk4 is knees in the dash experience.

kubo

TDI
Golf 2003
Last time I was back home (SK), LPG (propane) pumps were quite dominant. Many people were doing conversions on their existing cars.
Either way, interesting news. This just makes me want to postpone my MK6 purchase and drive my '03 TDI for two more years.

NYTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Golf TDI AUTOMATIC trans. GLS w/PLX package silver/black cloth

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
got to put my 6'3" 260 self in the back seat of a recent 4 door golf. hope they improve the rear suspension above the saturn ion level if they expect to overtake toyota.

course a nms v-6 diesel might go a long ways toward that goal also. it would be so nice for the family of taller than avg children. me 6'3, wife 5'9" , son 5'10, son 5'11" son 6'1". putting any 4 of us in the mk4 is knees in the dash experience.
Yes, you should sit in the back of a MkV/MkVI vehicle. They have much-improved legroom from the MkIV cars. In fact, I've had multiple tall people in my car for a road trip and no one was complaining.

What kind of improvements are you looking for in the rear suspension. The Golf (nee Rabbit) and Jetta have had independent rear suspensions now since the MkV was introduced as a '05.5 model. The new Jetta that has yet to go on sale will continue with the IRS on all but the base model car, which will bring back the torsion beam rear axle as found on MkIV and earlier VWs.

Dunno513

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 NB PD-TDI DSG
"Volkswagen boss Martin Winterkorn is pushing hard to reach his target of surpassing Toyota and making VW the world’s No. 1 car brand by 2018."

Well, if the saying stays true that a fool is born every minute.... he might just have a chance at that target..

Otherwise VW had better clean up their image with their current owners first by standing behind what they sell. Maybe then their showrooms would see repeat customers.

Toyota is the car company to beat for a reason.... VW needs to learn those reasons first.

Great looking Golf... too bad I'm not in the market for a VW anymore.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Mercedes E250 Blutec. Previously: 2006 Jetta TDI
Dunno is right. If VW stands behind their gassers like their TDIs, they'd be dead last behind the Pinto, not knocking back Toyota. Toyota's actions last year showed they could respond to problems once they were public. Contrast that to the oppressive blaming the victim again with HPFP. I can't buy a new VW until I see them out there for years and know how they shake out because I know I'd be stuck with any thing that goes wrong.

donfromnaples

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 New Beetle Blue and 2009 Jetta TDI Sportwagon
Toyota's lackadaisical and economical approach to addressing their mechanical flaws is inexcusable. I wouldn't even consider a comparison between Toyota and VW regarding executive decision making. That being said, VW's gassers do appear an afterthought. VW is aware that it's bread and butter is the TDI.

wolfskin

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Fabia Combi TDI
The 1.2 displacement, as already noted, is the 1.2 TSI turbo-gasser. Today it's a single-stage turbo and 8-valve unit, making 105hp. Probably this will be the base engine.
I don't expect to see 3-cyl engines in the Golf. The smallest TDI in the golf will remain the 1.6 unit or it's evolution. The 3 cyl 1.2 TDI and the planned 3-cyl 0.9 TSI will power the polo and it's cousins.

"compressed gas" must surely refer to CNG. It's become wide-spread in western Europe (Germany, Italy, Austria I can confirm). Already currently VW offers CNG powered factory models (Passat, Sharan, Touran), as do other carmakers like Fiat, PSA.

LPG is more common in Central-Eastern Europe. In Romania, for example LPG is ubiqutous, and the local carmaker (Dacia) also offers factory LPG models.
The reason may be that Romania has (limited) resources of a very light petroleum that has high concentrations of light hidrocarbons, including butane and propane, which are the main constituents of LPG.
The fuel is very cheap (about half the price of regular gasoline), and fuel systems are relatively easy and cheap to retrofit on non-DI gasoline engines, with no modifications to the engine itself.

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
Toyota's lackadaisical and economical approach to addressing their mechanical flaws is inexcusable. I wouldn't even consider a comparison between Toyota and VW regarding executive decision making. That being said, VW's gassers do appear an afterthought. VW is aware that it's bread and butter is the TDI.
Except that in the U.S., which is VW's second largest market, the 2.5 auto is its bread-and-butter. The U.S. market is the one that VW needs to grow to achieve the uber-high sales that it's looking for, so as much as I love the TDI platform, VW needs to introduce something else that's fuel efficient and affordable. There are a slew of hybrids supposedly coming in the not too distant future and U.S. car buyers are stuck on hybrids like white on rice. The one that intrigues me is the plug-in version supposedly coming in the MkVII Golf that uses a TDI engine basically as a generator once the batteries have depleted, not unlike Chevy's upcoming Volt, but assumingly even more efficient since it's using a diesel generator rather than a gasser one.

donfromnaples

Veteran Member
TDI
I agree. Venturing out with some hybrid variations would seem a logical extension of the VW image to increase sales. I am eagerly awaiting the many new VW vehicles that we are supposed to see between 2011 and 2013. I enjoy reading about the Bluesport concept, the UP! Lite, the hybrid Jetta, etc...

Driver_found

Veteran Member
TDI
Former MKV Jetta TDI 5M, Former 2013 Passat TDI SE 6M, 2015 Mazda 6 Touring 6m
Audi is also supposedly planning to use a small rotary engine as a mileage extender for a Hybrid A1 or A3 I heard. To generate extra juice.

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
Anybody else notice that the Golf in the article looks quite a lot like the Mazda 3? I know they're both hatchbacks, but it's really close. Look:

I removed this last picture because it was a MKVI... duh... I didn't recognize it.

Last edited:

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
Look at the new Vauxhall Astra and the Renault Megane, even the Pug 308. They've all got the same "bustle" at the rear...

pleopard

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Hmm.. They don't look similar to me, other than the fact that they both have four wheels, a hatchback, and spoiler. Most modern cars these days adopt similar shapes due to aerodynamic requirements.

RalphVa

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
I want another Golf convertible to replace my 1997 Cabrio, but with a TDI engine. They're talking about putting a TDI in the Beetle, but it's obese. My Cabrio is 2,700 # vs. the Beetle's 3,600 #. Also has less space. Can't figure how VW did it. They modeled it after the Mitsu Eclipse, which is also obese with less space; I guess.

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
I want another Golf convertible to replace my 1997 Cabrio, but with a TDI engine. They're talking about putting a TDI in the Beetle, but it's obese. My Cabrio is 2,700 # vs. the Beetle's 3,600 #. Also has less space. Can't figure how VW did it. They modeled it after the Mitsu Eclipse, which is also obese with less space; I guess.
Volkswagen New Beetle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In May 2010, Volkswagen announced that production of the New Beetle will cease in 2010. ... Wheelbase: 2515 mm (99.0 in); Curb weight: 1230 kg (2712 lb) ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_New_Beetle

Cabrio appears to be about 2831lbs

Last edited:

donDavide

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ;2006 Golf; 2015 Jetta S

It seems as if it was the idiot drivers, not the cars.

Stibz

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2009 Jetta
The red golf is the next generation car, the blue one is the current model golf. Looking at the frontal shot of the red car from C/D, the front overhang is shorter than the current model.

Anybody else notice that the Golf in the article looks quite a lot like the Mazda 3? I know they're both hatchbacks, but it's really close. Look:

I can't believe they think the front overhang will work like this. Take a look from the side:

I can already hear the sound it will make pulling into my driveway. scraaaaaaaaaaaaape....

donfromnaples

Veteran Member
TDI
It seems as if it was the idiot drivers, not the cars.
If you are referring to the newspaper article, then you would have noticed that the "findings" only accounted for very small percentage of all the cars recalled. The article admitted that detecting software issues is a difficult task. Toyota is at fault for deceiving the public, ignoring known safety issues, volunteering a less than adequate "fix", and trying to deflect blame. Shame on Toyota.

Mike_Van

Veteran Member
TDI
(SOLD) 2010 Golf, 2 door
I've seen the 1.2 mentioned in the context of the Audi A1 in the UK. 85 hp doesn't sound like a lot, but that's what I had in my 1987 MK2 Jetta. ~45 MPG (US) sounds great.

wolfskin

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Fabia Combi TDI
Surprized to see the "down-rated" TSIs in the Audi.

The 1.2 TSI has a 105 hp variant, even available in the cheap-brand Skoda Fabia (alongside the 86hp variant). The Golf gets the 105hp as base engine.

The 1.4 TSI 120hp is a single-turbo variant, I would have expected to see the bi-turbo 140hp variant in the S1.

This A1 seems to be slotted below the Polo engines-wise! Audi is not what it used to be...

Case in point: "The A1’s sporty aspirations are further supported by an ESP system with electronic differential as standard."

It's standard on the Polo too (all trim levels), and also on the 2007 MY Fabia except the cheapest trim level. I have it as an extra on my 2005 MY Fabia. My Fabia is no sports car...

Last edited:

Mike_Van

Veteran Member
TDI
(SOLD) 2010 Golf, 2 door
Surprized to see the "down-rated" TSIs in the Audi...
I think the point of such an engine is one crucial figure: 118g/km CO2.
In much of Europe it allows lower road-tax/registration fees. Here in the US it is still fairly meaningless as a selling point.