Timing Belt Replacement Interval

chromeBuddha

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI manual
So here is the dillema...we have all upgraded to our 100K TB parts...but some have manual trans. and others have autos...
How do we figure out the change interval?

I have been on the wonderful VW maintenance schedule site...LOL From what I read there, the belt needs to be changed every 40K, but the tensioner needs to be changed every 20K... The site doesn't differentiate between manual and auto...

Also, what is the extra stress that an auto puts on the belt/pulleys that make the interval shorter?

Since the engines are unchanged 99.5-03, can I get some feedback on the TB CI for the following sets:

Running the "100K" full kit on:
99.5-03 auto trans = ???

99.5-03 manual = 100K

Sorry, as I am ending this I think I am probably not being very clear...head cold...

I think what I am asking is what the TB CI should be for a 99.5-03 w/ auto trans if you use the 100K kit... Yes, that is what I am asking...sniffle...

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Starting with the 2002-model-year upgrade, VW makes no difference between the automatic and manual transmission models.

You're mis-reading the wrongly-phrased data on the VW site... :)

The original standard (1998 NB, 1999-2001) was 40,000 miles automatic, 60,000 miles manual... belt and tensioner...

As I've mentioned on other threads (I know you've seen some of them), I've found excessive play in the bearings (lower idler) twice now... the first time it necessitated an immediate timing belt change at 95,000 miles... One of the Califonia members needed a similar early change around 78,000 miles...

These are merely guidelines... use common sense and listen to your engine... I would still start thinking about it around 90,000 miles - no matter which transmission...

BTW: the automatic uses a larger capacity fuel pump, so it puts an extra strain on the TB components...

Yuri.

2003 TDI-Jetta Wagon - 198869 miles