19464 - Camshaft Position Sensor (G40): Signal Out of Range P3008 - 000

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
Well, one of the things I did was the timing belt on my car this weekend. I turned the car over several time by hand before starting and I "thought" I had the cam locking pin in but I might not have. I attempted to start and got the code 19464 - Camshaft Position Sensor (G40): Signal Out of Range
P3008 - 00. I have searched and found that it mainly rings a code from a broken timing belt which isn't my case or the timing belt is out of range on the camshaft. I followed one set of instructions to put the pulley counterclockwise all the way, snug a bolt, then put the belt over the cam (after is on the crank of course). Once the belt is over the tensioner and cam sprocket/pulley then loosen the cam bolts and put the belt over the water pump and then put the idler pulley on.

I must have gotten the belt a tooth off or something. I might not have gotten the lock in all the way as it was very hard to tell if it was in or not. Is there a way to adjust the camshaft without having to pull everything beyond the slotted holes on the cam sprocket? If not and I have to redo the procedure is there any place that can get me just the torque to yield bolts I need because the nearest dealer is 150 miles away to get the bolts? Any help would be great on this. I am going to tackle it yet tonight to see if I can find how much off it is.

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
you are probably off more than 1 tooth . are the bolts centered on the slots ?

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
Problem solved. Belt was two teeth off. I didn't know how much the cam shaft lock was suppose to go in but it wasn't in the correct spot the whole time. I was able to correct the timing belt without removing the motor mount.