06 dsg jetta money pit is gone

SoTxBill

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 passatdsg 10 jetdsg, 09 jetdsg, 2006 jetdsg, 2001Jet, 96passat, 86jet, 81 jet, 78pickup all vw diesel.
you picked a good one.. i drove my 06 dsg for 98,000 miles with zero problems,, and traded for a 2010.. no problems for me. hope you got the 308 v6.. they are great!!!!

GTIDan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Candy White Jetta, DSG
Man, You got that poop right!;) Not that I by any means wish this but, after the 09-10s laughable 3/36 and in some cases even before, you could replace the cam/lifters, DMF, EGR cooler, etc. twice on an 05.5-06.5 PD and still be ahead of the game as opposed to one HPFP snafu. Then there's the wonder of the expensive and sensative emissions components from the downpipe to the tail pipe which hasn't had tons of inclement weather exposure as of yet with the exception of a few flapper valves that may make one wonder/worry too but, *** do I know, eh? :rolleyes: Later!
...........and on and on and on............give it a rest. You don't owe a 2010 so you have no clue. There is nothing laugable about the 09/10 models. Find me a bad review............just one. Nope, does not exisit.

TwoTone

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta (sold)
Hey Dan, maybe you should read those C&D articles before using them to prop the Jetta.

"....DSG in our long-term 2006 VW GTI [December 2007] did elicit complaints about slow clutch engagement, but some of the blame must attach to the lag of the TDI’s 2.0-liter turbo-diesel. At best, it’s an annoyance, but editor-at-large John Phillips did experience the car’s complete refusal to move when the Jetta acted as though it had slipped itself into neutral. “Turning against oncoming traffic, the Jetta refused to move. Full throttle and zero movement; happened twice . . . If this were my car, I’d sell it.” No other drivers had the same experience, so we chalked it up to an exaggeration about the slow-to-respond transmission..."

Maybe someone else can find the article, but I thought one of the long term tests cars had to have the HPFP replaced. Amazing on that one how VW didn't pull the contaminated fuel crap. Guess they didn't want all the bad press.

Last edited:

Harvieux

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
06 A5 Pkg.2 w/navi & ASEP
...........and on and on and on............give it a rest. You don't owe a 2010 so you have no clue. There is nothing laugable about the 09/10 models. Find me a bad review............just one. Nope, does not exisit.
Dah! I've owned several 09's and currently own a 2010 JSW and have actually had experience with the snafus refered to. The bad reviews you are seeking come from real and confirmed incidents and not just some so called CR or R&T hack.

I've warned all here to be extremely cautious on acquiring such a new, untried, and un-Guinea pigged technology until a couple/three years of bug elimination has taken place like it has for every NA VW TDI predecessor.

Yes, it is fricken laughable that such a new technology would have resulted in a lowering of the limited BB covered items by 2/24 which should have been a red flag right out of the box but, *** do I know, eh?:rolleyes: Later!

candywhite

TDI
09jsw
I don't necessarily agree with these reviews, but they do exist, which is surprising, given that car magazine reviewers are all pretty much beholden to the car companies.
Motor Trend:
While our editors can't complain about the mileage, they continue to throw criticism on the DSG transmission. "I'm starting to dislike the DSG," notes associate Web editor Scott Evans. "I tried over and over to figure out how to motivate the car from a stop smoothly, but there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. Sometimes it pulls away smoothly, sometimes there's a clunk and a jerk. Nothing I tried would consistently get the car moving without any fuss. Volkswagen needs to have another go at the transmission programming and get this thing updated in time for the launch of the diesel Golf in the U.S."

Boston.com:
Come to a stop, however, and the Jetta’s smooth demeanor vanishes and the quality controversies reappear. At first you’ll think the only jerk in the car is you – after all, every brake pedal has a different initial bite and feel. But after a few more times, the culprit becomes obvious: it’s the 6-speed Direct Shift Gearbox, Volkswagen’s version of the latest transmission fad, the dual-clutch automatic.On paper, it sounds great to have this advanced gearbox in an average car, the same in principle as the 7-speeds on the latest Porsche 911 and Volkswagen’s 253-mile-per-hour Bugatti Veyron. On the way up, shifts are indeed quick and smooth, delightful even, thanks to the diesel four-cylinder’s generous 236 pound-feet of torque. But like a drug addict, the high literally comes crashing down.
In every transmission mode, the DSG delivers abrupt downshifts from third gear. It's mild for the most part, but the forced engine braking ruins the ability to coast and stop gently, even with the lightest of brake pressure. Stop-and-go traffic makes you realize what it’s like to be a bobble-head doll, and the DSG even has the audacity to shift into first while the car is still moving. There’s no rev-matching feature to abate the feeling, and it never goes away. Granted, it’s helpful for engine braking, but that should be the sole job of the Tiptronic mode. In short, the DSG - at least in the Jetta TDI - feels sloppy and better suited for high-performance cars where a jerky ride is more of an expected shortcoming.

GTIDan

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't necessarily agree with these reviews, but they do exist, which is surprising, given that car magazine reviewers are all pretty much beholden to the car companies.

Motor Trend:
While our editors can't complain about the mileage, they continue to throw criticism on the DSG transmission. "I'm starting to dislike the DSG," notes associate Web editor Scott Evans. "I tried over and over to figure out how to motivate the car from a stop smoothly, but there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. Sometimes it pulls away smoothly, sometimes there's a clunk and a jerk. Nothing I tried would consistently get the car moving without any fuss. Volkswagen needs to have another go at the transmission programming and get this thing updated in time for the launch of the diesel Golf in the U.S."

Boston.com:
Come to a stop, however, and the Jetta’s smooth demeanor vanishes and the quality controversies reappear. At first you’ll think the only jerk in the car is you – after all, every brake pedal has a different initial bite and feel. But after a few more times, the culprit becomes obvious: it’s the 6-speed Direct Shift Gearbox, Volkswagen’s version of the latest transmission fad, the dual-clutch automatic.On paper, it sounds great to have this advanced gearbox in an average car, the same in principle as the 7-speeds on the latest Porsche 911 and Volkswagen’s 253-mile-per-hour Bugatti Veyron. On the way up, shifts are indeed quick and smooth, delightful even, thanks to the diesel four-cylinder’s generous 236 pound-feet of torque. But like a drug addict, the high literally comes crashing down.
In every transmission mode, the DSG delivers abrupt downshifts from third gear. It's mild for the most part, but the forced engine braking ruins the ability to coast and stop gently, even with the lightest of brake pressure. Stop-and-go traffic makes you realize what it’s like to be a bobble-head doll, and the DSG even has the audacity to shift into first while the car is still moving. There’s no rev-matching feature to abate the feeling, and it never goes away. Granted, it’s helpful for engine braking, but that should be the sole job of the Tiptronic mode. In short, the DSG - at least in the Jetta TDI - feels sloppy and better suited for high-performance cars where a jerky ride is more of an expected shortcoming.
First of all, who reads Motor Trend. I stopped reading that magazine once I pasted sixteen. Those guys are clueless (Web editor Scott Evans)and from reading the article know nothing about the way of the DSG. It's NOT an automatic....it's a stick that can be shifted automatically. It has clutches.......not a torque converter. Nevermnd....waste of time. Anyone stupid enough to not know how to wait a split second before taking off should be writing for STAR magazine.......not a reputed car magazine. Stupid, stupid.

I can only say I must be extremely lucky.............my DSG shifts gears smoothly and downshifts smoothly. Do I feel the downshifts at times? Yes, but I like that feel. I also like how it holds my speed while descending steep grades. I love the lightening almost imperceptible changing of the gears. In other words I love it.

Lucky me I guess. And who ever it was that gave me 2007 results. Hello, I have a 2010 :)

Thanks to all who took the time to shove my face in the oil. Appreciate it. :D

Last edited:

GTIDan

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey Dan, maybe you should read those C&D articles before using them to prop the Jetta.

"....DSG in our long-term 2006 VW GTI [December 2007] did elicit complaints about slow clutch engagement, but some of the blame must attach to the lag of the TDI’s 2.0-liter turbo-diesel. At best, it’s an annoyance, but editor-at-large John Phillips did experience the car’s complete refusal to move when the Jetta acted as though it had slipped itself into neutral. “Turning against oncoming traffic, the Jetta refused to move. Full throttle and zero movement; happened twice . . . If this were my car, I’d sell it.” No other drivers had the same experience, so we chalked it up to an exaggeration about the slow-to-respond transmission..."

Maybe someone else can find the article, but I thought one of the long term tests cars had to have the HPFP replaced. Amazing on that one how VW didn't pull the contaminated fuel crap. Guess they didn't want all the bad press.
Hey there. Did YOU read the 2009 TDI longterm test? Yes, they still have not got use to the DSG's quirks but otherwise loved the car.....as did Automobile magazine and R/T.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Any of you guys realize the new LaCrosse is just a rebadged Opel Insignia? LOL.... it is just the North American version of the Epsilon 2 platform, also used for some Daewoos and Saabs. :cool:

They are nice cars though, I have driven one. A little too "cushy and bland" for my liking, but I am not old (yet), and have no tan shoes or any will to move to Florida and pretend it is not hot. :p

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
OK, I've held off long enough. You guys can bad mouth the new cars as much as you want. I don't care what you think. And I don't care what a few reviewer's think. I'd wager if you could take a poll of every single person who owned an '09/10 TDI, the vast majority would agree that it's the best car they've ever driven. More and more new cars are, and will soon be, using technology similar to that on the current TDIs, and the problems that arise will no doubt be more complicated and expensive to repair (and I agree that the $10K repair bill on the shredded HPFP and trashed fuel system is bull****, whatever it's cause, but I'm not going to get rid of my car). That's just life and "progress". So, like the guy a few posts up said, "give it a rest." But if you don't, I'm not listening. . . . . .

Last edited:

MostroDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat Gasser VR6; (Sold and missed) 09 JSW DSG Pano Blue Graphite Build Date 05/09
Any of you guys realize the new LaCrosse is just a rebadged Opel Insignia? LOL.... it is just the North American version of the Epsilon 2 platform, also used for some Daewoos and Saabs. :cool:
In other words, a rebadged version of a very nice car.

Heck, even crappy cars are pretty nice these days. In any case this Opel/Buick should present an improved product to the Buick range, and maybe gradually shift the average Buick buyer's age from the mid-seventies to the low seventies.:)

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
They are nice cars though, I have driven one. A little too "cushy and bland" for my liking, but I am not old (yet), and have no tan shoes or any will to move to Florida and pretend it is not hot. :p
Some of us senior folks here are still hanging in with our VW's, although some are moving into MB's lately:eek:. Even Peter at IDParts has slipped into one (although an older model). I guess pre-Alzheimer's has erased any knowledge of the operating cost of MB's, old or otherwise. But we are still savvy enough to stay away from the "Beta 09-10" VW TDI's. ;)

I'll keep my 2005 Passat now that the big issues are over with.;)

oilhammer

TDI
Yep, like I said in the next line, nice cars.

Buick is to become GM's North American branch of Opel in the next few years. Something that failed to take root at Saturn, and was not looking good for a while as they were wanting to sell of Opel.

But now that they realized that without Opel, GM's tech tank will ride solely on the shoulders of Daewoo, since pushrods and leafsprings only work for pickup trucks. So they decided to keep Opel, and continue to exploit the German's know-how.

The Cobalt (and its Cruze replacement), the Malibu, the new Regal (not out yet), the CTS, and others are of Opel heritage.

candywhite

TDI
09jsw
I was really looking forward to seeing the Regal GS which was going to have a manual transmission (in a Buick!), AWD IIRC, and maybe even a really slick Opel engine but it looks like they were just teasing and it is not going to be made for the US market.

Harvieux

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
06 A5 Pkg.2 w/navi & ASEP
Is it just me or does this thread/topic seem to have similar attributes to some of the past BioD threads? ie: tunnel vision, blinders on, stubborness, closed mindiness, apathy, You know, I once heard a duck fart under water, etc. :rolleyes: I know, *** do I know, eh? ;) Later!

oilhammer

TDI
Is it just me or does this thread/topic seem to have similar attributes to some of the past BioD threads? ie: tunnel vision, blinders on, stubborness, closed mindiness, apathy, You know, I once heard a duck fart under water, etc. :rolleyes: I know, *** do I know, eh? ;) Later!
I thought CARB banned any waterfowl flatulence, in the interest of clean air? :p

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
Okay, so Harv does own a 09/10 model and btw, he also is a pretty good mechanic FWIH, so how about an apology to him for your ad hominem attack? You also were handed several bad reviews, contrary to your request that none exist ..... It is difficult to get PWND twice in one post, but you achieved this milestone with distinction.

TwoTone

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta (sold)

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
Actually that was from the 2009 long term, unfortunately a bad choice of where to cut things off. The reference to the 2006 was about the sentences before I cut and pasted.

Here the link http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/10q1/2009_volkswagen_jetta_tdi_diesel-long-term_road_test
After reading this I realized it's the same article that prompted several threads from potential buyers worried about the TDI's heater in winter, which elicited a flood of responses debunking the writer's erroneous conclusions.