LOST KEYS Help :(

tj421rb

TDI
2006 JETTA TDI
For what ever dumb reason I had to check my 2 car keys and my wifes expedition car keys in my luggage. They "lost" the luggage and other expensive things, (dont EVER check a piece of electronics in your luggage i.e cell phone, gps car keys! ! ! ! ! they will not reimburse you for them)

So having my 06 tdi Jetta for 2 weeks. . . . I have no keys, that was 8 months ago and the airline just now told me they are not liable for them.

So how do I get replacement Car keys. Im using my valet key now. I have my tag that came with the new car... The stealership would love to have me spend 360 dollars for a key. . . . is there anything better?

Thanks to all and I love the web site...

Last edited:

Lat

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35d, 2006 Jetta TDI
To save money on getting a new key, you can get a new key, precut from Impex for ~$79, then pay the $100 or so for the stealership to program it to your IMMO.

No, even if you find somebody with VAG_COM you won't be able to program it yourself, because you'll NEED your SKC code.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Or get chipped by Rocketchip and have him retrieve the code for you and then find someone nearby with Vag-Com to do the coding after you buy the keys. Same money almost, better end result in my opinion.

akmike

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 TDI naturally Jetta
However, He needs to move to the car to where Jeff is chipping, or even if Jeff can come over still needs to unlock the car I bet, so yep VW has you on this one. ALWAYS stash a spare key somewhere you can easily get to it. NEVER EVER CHECK both keys in luggage, expensive lesson I fear.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
He said he is using the valet key. What is wrong with that? If he is driving it now, he could still drive it to Jeff. Open doors and everything I guess.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Why in the H$(( did you check your keys in the first place ?!?! That's one TSA agent / boss who needs his ass kicked.

jharrison

Vendor
TDI
x
tj421rb said:
For what ever dumb reason I had to check my 2 car keys and my wifes expedition car keys in my luggage. They "lost" the luggage and other expensive things, (dont EVER check a piece of electronics in your luggage i.e cell phone, gps car keys! ! ! ! ! they will not reimburse you for them)

So having my 06 tdi Jetta for 2 weeks. . . . I have no keys, that was 8 months ago and the airline just now told me they are not liable for them.

So how do I get replacement Car keys. Im using my valet key now. I have my tag that came with the new car... The stealership would love to have me spend 360 dollars for a key. . . . is there anything better?

Thanks to all and I love the web site...
I would program it for you cheap, but your not local....

akmike

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 TDI naturally Jetta
Ahh valet it is unless you want to pony up some cash for a new fob and then pay the VW dealership to program it for you. Yeah I sure hope no TSA guy told you to check them! But getting a tune from Jeff is a great idea wheater you need keys programmed or not. There are serveral tuners round here but I think he gets the best recommendations- he tuned my Jetta a few years back and I smile every time I need to merge from an on ramp or pass someone- it's like having warp speed available.

tj421rb

TDI
2006 JETTA TDI
Yeah, all I've got my valet key now, Is'nt the SKC the one on the tag they give us with a new car purchase, consist of a letter and 6 numbers ??

Or I'll call VW and tell them the Number and get the code from them...

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
tj421rb said:
Yeah, all I've got my valet key now, Is'nt the SKC the one on the tag they give us with a new car purchase, consist of a letter and 6 numbers ??

Or I'll call VW and tell them the Number and get the code from them...
__. No. You can't do that. VW never provided the SKC to anybody after the '03 model year. They can't even find it when the attach their computer to it. What they do when they "initialize a new key" is hook up your car to their computer which then communicates by a secure link with the VW factory computer. It does the work but it never give them (or you) the SKC. So you can't let them do it once, get the SKC, then have someone with VAG-Com do it in the future.

__. I'm pretty sure that the letter and 6 numbers are not an SKC but I don't think that VAG-Com will work with the later setup immobilizers anyway (i.e. even if you could get the SKC -- and I don't think you can -- a VAG-Com or stealer computer won't work ... unless the stealer goes through the entire "link to the factory" thing.

__. For everybody with a late system (i.e. about 04 Model Year and later), you might as well get used to the idea of bendin' over and huggin' the log at the stealer.