1989 Volkswagen TriStar Syncro gets a CBEA 2.0L common rail

Hasenwerk

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
I pulled the trigger on the project over the weekend. :eek:

My poor TriStar Syncro had it's transmission bugger up on me back in 2011 and it's been sitting ever since. This weekend I pulled the 1.9L ATJ Pump Düse engine and transmission. The PD is going to be installed in my friend's Syncro and the transmission is somehow going to get fixed over the next few weeks - it won't go into Reverse or Low gear.

Out with the old ATJ engine!

This spring my ex-wife and daughter hit a moose with their 2009 Highline Jetta TDI with DSG and I managed to get the entire car from the insurance company for what I feel was a decent price. The only real damage to the car is the windscreen is totally gone and most of the roof is caved in. Front bumper / lights are all fine. Engine bonnet is slightly crinkled and the engine runs 100% fine - zero damage, zero fault codes and only 115.000km on it. My ex got both of her hands cut up badly from the windscreen glass coming down on to her hands on the steering wheel. My daughter who was asleep moments before stuck her arm up to shield her face from the impact and got some stitches from that. I am quite impressed how the car stood up to hitting a fully grown moose at 80 to 90km/h - only glass injuries and no air bag deployment.

The night of the collision

Ouch

Car doesn't look so bad!

Now the fun begins... getting a CANBUS controlled engine to run in a non-CANBUS car! I have half of the equation figured out already with my CAN2LED / CAN2DASH products, now just to get the CAN input happening and I am set! How hard could it be!? :cool:

Not going to do anything too crazy with this engine. Malone Stage 1 with DPF / EGR deletes done to it in order to simply the exhaust and keep the transmission in one piece.

The immediate to do list:
- The Adapter Plate and Stage II Clutch is on order with Kennedy Engineered Products.
- Clean out the car that has been under a tarp for the last while so it doesn't have glass and moose hair thru it.
- Fix the transmission
- Reverse engineer more CAN stuff on the Jetta for the speed signals and cruise control

This will be a slow, but steady project. My daughter wants here 1982 Cabriolet running this summer with the BEW engine we installed in it before the winter - never a dull moment!

Last edited:

xjay1337

Veteran Member
TDI
Scirocco CR170.
Oooh. Sounds interesting.

Glad your family was OK. Car stood up well.

Looking forward to seeing the build progress.

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
Wow, that's great the car held up so well.

Very interested to see how the CR wiring gets adapted to the T3.