Manual Trans 02Q Questions

whiplash willy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 4-Door Golf TDI 6MT w/NAV & Sunroof
My MK6 Golf is the first modern and brand new MT car that I have driven. I have driven several other MT cars, but all have been from the 90s or older. I have noticed a few weird things that I would like to know if they are normal or not.

1. When creeping in 1st from a slow roll or stop, as I am lifting up on the clutch pedal, the engagement has a pulsating rubbing noise/feel to it. It only happens when creeping in first, or starting off in first. Normal gear changes don't have this. (Maybe this is normal for a new clutch, or it is normal for the cars DMF?)

2. About 50% of the time when I let off the go pedal and coast in 2nd gear, the shifter shakes noticeably. It only happens in 2nd gear though.

CentralOregonTDI

TDI
2011 Golf
I've never noticed either of those things on my 2011 Golf. I don't think that sounds normal. I can see it happening if the engine is really lugging, but i think usually if it is lugging that much the ecu will stall the engine. I have noticed with this car there is a pretty good gap between first and second, and often when I have to make a turn really slow I often have to drop down to first to keep from lugging/stalling, even though it feels like I am still going fast enough to keep it in second.

vpersico2

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
My 2012 Jetta 6MT does this too. The starting off noise has always been there and still is since new (3k miles now) The shake when letting off the gas happens to me in 1st and second gear. that seems to be getting worse. I think it may also be realated to a "bumpy" feeling I'm getting when driving at light throttle.

whiplash willy

Veteran Member
TDI
To clarify on my issue #2, the shifter doesn't move enough to see it, but you can feel it pulsating/shaking if you are touching it, and let off the go pedal in 2nd gear even at higher rpms. I can feel it the entire range from 2000rpm, down to 1000rpm.

I hoped more people would have some advice on if this is normal or not. At least these issues I can easily reproduce for a tech, unlike my DSG issues, but I rather not have to take it in...man it would be nice to buy a new $25k+ VW and not have it have problems....

Last edited:

whiplash willy

Veteran Member
TDI
I found a video that shows the shifter shake I am talking about in 2nd gear. Mine doesn't shake as bad in the video...maybe half as bad, but it only does it about half the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tTh2F2RIiA

I got rid of my 2011 Jetta partly because of transmission problems. It sucks the Golf transmission has issues as well.....Hopefully VW's techs don't screw up too much trying to fix this, and actually fix the problem...

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
Hey OP my car does this as well and I've been concerned about what it is just like you. I am pretty sure the feel of both of those things are a result of the dual-mass flywheel but I am trying to get confirmation on that. Apparently not all of them do it so it may be an adjustment thing or possibly some of the DMFs are not balanced perfectly, I dunno...

Mine even stalls out really easily in second gear at 6-10 mph; speeds you expect to easily coast or be at light power in 2nd for... I've stalled this car more in the last 3 weeks (bought it May 30) than I ever stalled another manual, even while learning how to drive them 30 years ago...

A couple things on your 2 points though:

1. It actually does it in every gear if you shift slow and feel the clutch pedal. You even feel it if you park with the parking brake on, leave it out of gear and just press the pedal. When you touch the pedal there is nothing, by about the first 1/2 inch you can feel it pulsing, and it will continue through about 1/2-2/3rds of the pedal travel then disappear. Final, right at the floor you can feel it again but it feels more like a tapping.

2. I haven't noticed this on mine, but I am 95% certain this is the DMF being unbalanced or trying to rebalance as it shifts from powered to freewheeling. I know they are supposed to make the car smoother but i have serious doubts as to whether they are actually working or not...

I brought this up over here as well: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f19/strange-clutch-feel-2012-golf-tdi-manual-16237/ trying to find more info.

Last edited:

whiplash willy

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey OP my car does this as well and I've been concerned about what it is just like you. I am pretty sure the feel of both of those things are a result of the dual-mass flywheel but I am trying to get confirmation on that. Apparently not all of them do it so it may be an adjustment thing or possibly some of the DMFs are not balanced perfectly, I dunno...

Mine even stalls out really easily in second gear at 6-10 mph; speeds you expect to easily coast or be at light power in 2nd for... I've stalled this car more in the last 3 weeks (bought it May 30) than I ever stalled another manual, even while learning how to drive them 30 years ago...

A couple things on your 2 points though:

1. It actually does it in every gear if you shift slow and feel the clutch pedal. You even feel it if you park with the parking brake on, leave it out of gear and just press the pedal. When you touch the pedal there is nothing, by about the first 1/2 inch you can feel it pulsing, and it will continue through about 1/2-2/3rds of the pedal travel then disappear. Final, right at the floor you can feel it again but it feels more like a tapping.

2. I haven't noticed this on mine, but I am 95% certain this is the DMF being unbalanced or trying to rebalance as it shifts from powered to freewheeling. I know they are supposed to make the car smoother but i have serious doubts as to whether they are actually working or not...

I brought this up over here as well: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f19/strange-clutch-feel-2012-golf-tdi-manual-16237/ trying to find more info.
DubFamily,

Thanks for your response. I have had almost no luck getting any response for these issues I am having with my MT.

To address your 1st response, I am familiar with the tapping you are talking about when pushing in the clutch pedal, and from my understanding that is normal. You should also feel the same tapping when slowly moving your gear shift in N from side to side.

The Issue I am having is different. When engaging the clutch from a stop in 1st or R, I get a pulsating/rubbing type sound. It is worse when going up a hill. But if I am rolling at all in 1st and start engaging, I don't experience this sound. I drove a 2012 GTI 6MT and didn't experience any of this rubbing/pulsating noise in that car. I also finally found another manual 2012 TDI golf, and tried to reproduce the noise. It had it a little, but it wasn't as bad as my car. It was used, and I didn't get to see how many miles were on it, so maybe since my car has 1300 miles on it, it could get better, but I don't know.

As far as issue #2, I haven't found much info on this, but what I have found, people either had an unbalanced transmission gear, or a bad DMF. Some say it could be a bad engine or tranny mount. I worry that continuing to drive it like this will cause additional wear on my transmission and possibly engine.

I think I am going to end up having to take it in to the dealer, which I have been trying to avoid at all costs, but I don't think I have a choice. Before I do, I am going to check the shift linkage, and adjust it. And make sure nothing is making contact in 2nd and 4th gear. If not, its going into the dealer, which will likely be a PITA. Please let me know if you find out anything about your issue, and I will let you know about mine.

Also DubFamily,

And as far as killing the car, it will shut itself down if the RPMs go below 800. When you are killing it in 2nd, are you letting the RPMs go that low? I had problems the first 3 weeks of driving the car of killing it frequently, but that was only in 1st, and now that I am more used to the car I haven't killed it in a few weeks.

Last edited:

vpersico2

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Willy I have the same issue. It has alway been there. Try this, let off the brake and wait about 3 seconds before leeting out he clutch in 1st and see if you get the noise. I have a suspicion that the hill assist is holding too long or not releasing when you start to go. I have gotten in the habit of waiting till the car starts to roll (hill assist releases)before letting off the clutch. It seems to take way too long and the rubbing sound is much quieter when I do this.

whiplash willy

Veteran Member
TDI
Willy I have the same issue. It has alway been there. Try this, let off the brake and wait about 3 seconds before leeting out he clutch in 1st and see if you get the noise. I have a suspicion that the hill assist is holding too long or not releasing when you start to go. I have gotten in the habit of waiting till the car starts to roll (hill assist releases)before letting off the clutch. It seems to take way too long and the rubbing sound is much quieter when I do this.
Vpersico, I disabled Hill Hold via VCDS, and still had the same noise. Good idea though

Thanks!

vpersico2

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
I really need to get one of those. I can't believe all the cool **** you can do with them. I'm just afraid I'd screw something up.