Random long crank issue

slamhouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI SE
Every once in a blue moon, I will go out to start my car in the morning and it will not start. After 3sets of 10 second cranks, it will finally start to "pop-off" and another two seconds later, it will start and run perfectly with no smoke or any issues or codes set.

This happens completely randomly, wether its 30 or 70 degrees outside rain or shine. and usually the events are about 1.5 months apart...

Car is: 2006 Jetta TDI 1.9l BRM PD.

Timing belt done at 102,050 miles
Currently has 112,345 miles
Fuel filter replaced at 112,000 miles

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Cory

tomtom1989

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Golf MkV
I had a similar problem on a polo, where it would start, run for 5 seconds and then die. would then take lots of cranking to finally fire up

Spent hours playing with the lift pump, pipes and looking for air leaks, i even hard wired in a button with a timer so i could press it and prime the system with the lift pump for 10 seconds before i started which made no difference either.

In the end i went for a tandem fuel pump change and it was then i noticed that the lower return pipe was loose. This is where the air was getting in on start up, getting re-circulated by the thermostatic T on the fuel filter and then causing the pump or injectors to air lock and stop.