www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Picture Gallery/Specs of Members' TDIs > Passat TDI Picture Gallery

Passat TDI Picture Gallery Do you have a Passat TDI? If so write a message here describing it and insert a picture if you have one. If you don't have one on the computer, email me and I'll give you my address and I'll scan it for you. If you need web space for it, email me as well. Please make a short yet descriptive title for your vehicle.

Old August 25th, 2010, 05:42   #61
JFettig

Here is something that a member in Croatia found for me:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/rep...00c15280267ac6

Jon
JFettig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2010, 05:47   #62
G60ING
Veteran Member

sorry about posting that I thought I had deleted it when I realized that they were 100% different.

FYI my local VW dealer often works on european VW because of all the NATO forces that are located in Virginia Beach/Norfolk. As long at you have proof that the car is legally here they can order parts from europe. You might want to try ordering them through either your dealer or try contacting Bud (Parts Manager) at Checkered Flag VW. He is very well known on the vortex for his VW enthusiast support.
G60ING is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2010, 06:44   #63
T_D_I_POWER
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFettig View Post

It appears that the water pump is the serpentine driven style, not off of the timing belt.

Jon
This is the good old stuff vs TB driven WP

Btw, try www.europartsdirect.com they might have the WP that you're looking for.

1st TO USE Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-40 IN THE CLUB http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...56&postcount=9
1st TO PREFILL OFH/OFI INSTL W/ OIL IN THE CLUB http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...02&postcount=5
1st TO PREFIL FF W/ DIESEL FUEL IN THE CLUB http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...4&postcount=14

Last edited by T_D_I_POWER; August 25th, 2010 at 06:48.
T_D_I_POWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2010, 11:03   #64
JFettig

Confirmed! Rock Auto has the water pump. They also have a timing belt kit but I'm not sure its any good. Anyone hear of "Dayco"?

I can get the timing components locally but for a lot more money.

Also, QUINTON HAZELL - its 36 bucks for the water pump vs 200+ from VW or 100 shipped from UK(also QUINTON HAZELL).

Jon

Last edited by JFettig; August 25th, 2010 at 11:08.
Old August 25th, 2010, 12:29   #65
Growler
Got Soot Vendor

Dayco is a good belt. its an upgrade for the ALH that costs more money.

its unfortunate that you can only get a 60k mile timing system for that engine. but with such a rare beast, its probably worth it.

Schmutz 2015 GSW S DSG
Schnurren 2001 Golf 2 door.
Growler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2010, 20:31   #66
JFettig

I was going to do the EGR delete but I decided to wait because i don't want to tune it yet and I heard that limp mode is randomly induced by removing the EGR stuff. I didn't do it because I noticed where the cooling lines went, it looks like one goes to the heater core and one goes to the block, do I pull the one off the block and one off the EGR and take the one from the EGR to the heater core and connect it to the block?

Thanks,
Jon
Old August 27th, 2010, 12:12   #67
owr084
Veteran Member

What was old is now new again - this vehicle popped up here at tdiclub in June of 2001!
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=23320

As for trying to find the second one, is it possible to do a wildcard search on car fax using "WVWMG63B9WE*"?
Old August 27th, 2010, 13:57   #68
glitdi
Veteran Member

I love the pass side mirror on these Passats. My buddy has a 1.8 t wagon with the stubby mirror and the blue glass. Nice ride.

OCD Member #4
glitdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 13:59   #69
JFettig

Thanks for posting that link! I'm definitely going to print that out to go with the records on this.
I have a copy of the original purchase receipt at $24,000 even.

Jon
Old August 27th, 2010, 21:45   #70
ekkoh99
Veteran Member

What kind of mileage did this car get?
Old August 27th, 2010, 21:55   #71
JFettig

I put about 400 miles on it and averaged 42mph, most of the driving was above 70mph on the freeway. I did one trip around 60 and averaged 46ish.

Jon
Old August 27th, 2010, 22:20   #72
compu_85
Gadget Guy

Fuel Economy: 3.3 Mi/kWh

The B5 is more aerodynamic then the similar golf / jetta, hence why that car was EPA rated at 50, while the 99.5 jetta was rated at "just" 48. It is heaver though so the city mpg suffers.

-J
2013 Fiat 500e. 28,000 miles.
1991 Mercedes 350SDL 230,000 miles, 70,000 on engine. 18/27 MPG.
Past:
99.5 Jetta "GLX" TDI. 323,000 miles. Power Memory Seats, HIDs 11mm pump, BV39 Turbo, RCIII 36/47 MPG. Sold to JDSwann's Brother.
2012 Passat SE TDI DSG. 114,000 miles. LED tails, Memory Seat, HIDs. Bought back by VW.
2004 Touareg V10 TDI. 165,000 miles. Sold to Matt98AHU w/ flat camshafts.
1988 Audi 5000S Quattro, 1992 Jetta ECOdiesel, 1991 Jetta ECOdiesel.
Thank you for giving me the BUG*PWR award. It means a lot to me!

Check out the official TDIClub Chat Room!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUSSELS BELGIAN View Post
Maybe I should pay MYSELF to do bad work on my car!
compu_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2010, 13:40   #73
Sugarkryptonite

TDI(s): None

Quote:
Originally Posted by compu_85 View Post
The B5 is more aerodynamic then the similar golf / jetta, hence why that car was EPA rated at 50, while the 99.5 jetta was rated at "just" 48. It is heaver though so the city mpg suffers.

-J
Yup

Quote:
The smooth lines, heavily raked windscreens, and smooth underpinnings helped give the B5 Passat an low coefficient of drag, rated at 0.27 (saloon model).
Even the C6 Corvette has a coefficient of 0.28 Makes me sorta proud...I'm just missing about 200-300hp.
Sugarkryptonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2010, 20:12   #74
JFettig

Project update:

So I got some parts, timing belt, window regulator panel and coolant reservoir. I emptied the water from the previous flush, added new for a new flush, drove it around the block and warmed it up, then parked it so I could work on the regulator panel(which i screwed up in the process of trying to fix the locks).

I got most of that done, window back in, etc. lock functioned properly but I pulled on the handle and got nothing, as if it was locked still, but the plunger is up and everything seems right except it doesn't work. I fiddled with it from the inside and out(with window down) and pop, it opens, then it opens and closes fine.

Previous to this, the whole reason I had it apart is that it wouldn't lock, it would go half way down then back up, whether you hit the lock button or push down on the knob, on top of that the key spun in the door. I took care of that but now it won't open. So I have a project for myself, again, take the window out and regulator panel out and hopefully fix that thing!

Tomorrow my water pump should arrive, ECS still hasn't shipped my order which is the rest of the timing stuff and a few other misc parts.
Rock auto called me today and they said they searched their warehouses and have no more serp tensioners and discontinued them. I've got a couple messages out to people.

I also talked to Malone tuning, sounds like I can go as high as stage 3 without much for supporting equipment(I do plan on getting some/most of it if I go this high). He had no issues with the ECU number but wasn't too familiar with the car or layout(longitudinal). I'll have to shop around and see what else is available.

Jon
Old September 1st, 2010, 08:22   #75
leicaman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Much better than the average car... :o)

Jon, I think I'd stick with a stock tune to start with and get all the issues fixed. Then after the car is mechanically solid again then consider the tune. I think as your car is really unique, you need to tread more conservatively.