2.0TDI Cutting out and hesitating at speed & idle

Captain_Chaos

Veteran Member
TDI
aa
I've had this problem for a week now.

When I start the car, sometimes it will just stall again, then I can start it again and it will run fine.

Then when I am driving I will feel a slight hesitation from the engine, just as if I'd lifted off the throttle, and sometimes more severe feeling like a brief stab on the brakes, sometimes this will trigger the glowplug light to flash

Yesterday it cut out on me in some road works. I drove it straight to the dealers and told them to sort it out since it is under warranty.

Anyone have any ideas what it could be?? I am clueless, it is very odd.

Any help would be appreciated chaps.

- Ben

samspock

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 2005, Shadow Blue
Most of the people on this forum are in north america and have never seen a car like yours. I wonder if it is similar to the "bucking" issue with 2.0 Passats?

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
What is the stock engine in your car? a PD143?

The 2.0TDI Passats that we get here are PD134s. Yes, backwards on purpose.

Captain_Chaos

Veteran Member
TDI
aa
UPDATE:

The dealers have found out the car is chipped and my warranty will not be honoured, they said the ECU is faulty, so I am having to have one replaced at the cost of 800 pounds.

I went to try and pick the car up yesterday, it cranked for ages and eventually started, but the check engine light and glow plugs lights were both on. I left the car there and told them to hurry up to fix it. The ECU is going to take nearly 2 weeks to arrive.

If I am lucky I'll have it back by the end of the month.

The annoying thing is, they don't even know if the ECU will fix it or not!

This has been a very hard lesson to learn, and I certainly won't be chipping again. The car will stay at standard 140PS!

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
If the ECU is faulty, contact the chiptuner.

Oh, and I guess someone should've said to have the chiptuner reflash to OE firmware.

Captain_Chaos

Veteran Member
TDI
aa
bhtooefr: I contacted them, they want to have a look at the ECU, but since the car isn't driveable I can't get it to them until I get it fixed and then I will take them the old ECU and if it is ruined I will send them the bill for the new one.

I have a feeling they didn't re-seal the ECU properly when they chipped it and the ECU has been damaged due to water ingress.

improved

Hi all,

I have a chiptuning company and the ecu in the A4 is inside a box and no way of the water get inside.

I think the problem is in the modification of the maps, ask the chipturner to put the car back to original and you will see that the car run fine.:)

Regards

Captain_Chaos

Veteran Member
TDI
aa
Update

UPDATE:

Dealer rang and they have replaced the ECU and crankshaft position sensor, the car is running fine apparantly.

I am picking it up tomorrow. I don't think there was anything wrong with the ECU I think there was just some problems communicating with it due to the method they used to chip it, I have heard of some folks who have their cars chipped using the bench flash method and the dealers diagnostics can't communicate with it afterwards, I believe this is the problem mine suffered.

It has ended up costing me £903 (Over $1500 US) and 3 weeks without transportation.

jdmsx

TDI
Seat Ibiza 2.0tdi FR
UPDATE:

Dealer rang and they have replaced the ECU and crankshaft position sensor, the car is running fine apparantly.

I am picking it up tomorrow. I don't think there was anything wrong with the ECU I think there was just some problems communicating with it due to the method they used to chip it, I have heard of some folks who have their cars chipped using the bench flash method and the dealers diagnostics can't communicate with it afterwards, I believe this is the problem mine suffered.

It has ended up costing me £903 (Over $1500 US) and 3 weeks without transportation.
I had a crankshaft position sensor go on my 2.0tdi too! Looks like you’ve been flunked by the dealer making you buy a new ecu, as they would’ve been able to scan the codes from it before even considering to buy a new one.