www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old November 23rd, 2017, 11:47   #46
Miss_Athanatos
Veteran Member

I really do appreciate all the interest people have in this thread, which is obvious from the several people who have posted multiple comments. Thanks, folks. I do think the photos of the OBDII lock turned out pretty nicely in my TDI.

2015 VW Golf SportWagen TDI S, 6-speed manual
2016 3500 Ram Tradesman 6.7L Cummins, 6-speed manual
Miss_Athanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2017, 13:39   #47
Windex
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ʎɯouoɔƎ lǝnℲ

Eh... from a former dealer service manager standpoint, I would view with much skepticism any customer with something like this installed. In fact, we would probably laugh at your excess once you leave the service dept.

As stated above, a few minutes and splicing in another OBDII port, and I could bypass this without much effort.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that this would only represent a "hey look at me, I don't trust you" sign under the dash, with little impediment to actually using the port if required.

Proudly installing things where they're not supposed to go since 1996!
Windex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2017, 15:13   #48
Miss_Athanatos
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windex View Post
Eh... from a former dealer service manager standpoint, I would view with much skepticism any customer with something like this installed. In fact, we would probably laugh at your excess once you leave the service dept.

As stated above, a few minutes and splicing in another OBDII port, and I could bypass this without much effort.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that this would only represent a "hey look at me, I don't trust you" sign under the dash, with little impediment to actually using the port if required.
That's nice, dearie.

When I was 9, our school had a lot of portable classrooms parked around the playground. These had heavy metal doors with several locks on them. The teachers would only lock the door latch however, which I knew how to open from the outside without the key. So I did during recess. I also told teachers that I could open the portable classroom doors and how they could do it, too.

All that came from it was plates got bolted on all the doors and the teachers threw all the locks when they left the classrooms.

So, all the propositions that you can splice in a new OBDII port just come across to me that faced with a locked OBDII port, you would violate it as a service manager. That would make your conclusion that there is an "I don't trust you" sign under the dash a fitting conclusion in the objective sense. And you're right, I do want the service people to "look at me" in the sense of taking an attentive view of what service is ordered for the vehicle.

Old November 24th, 2017, 10:03   #49
Windex
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ʎɯouoɔƎ lǝnℲ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss_Athanatos View Post
That's nice, dearie.

When I was 9, our school had a lot of portable classrooms parked around the playground. These had heavy metal doors with several locks on them. The teachers would only lock the door latch however, which I knew how to open from the outside without the key. So I did during recess. I also told teachers that I could open the portable classroom doors and how they could do it, too.

All that came from it was plates got bolted on all the doors and the teachers threw all the locks when they left the classrooms.

So, all the propositions that you can splice in a new OBDII port just come across to me that faced with a locked OBDII port, you would violate it as a service manager. That would make your conclusion that there is an "I don't trust you" sign under the dash a fitting conclusion in the objective sense. And you're right, I do want the service people to "look at me" in the sense of taking an attentive view of what service is ordered for the vehicle.
"Dearie"?

Is that an attempt at a passive-aggressive insult?

Either way, don't care.

You would never know if I did or didn't. Tapping into the three wires required would be a matter of backprobing the terminals on the port.

Your "lock" would represent nothing of the sort.

Instead of this ill-conceived device, why not bring your vehicle to a place you trust?

Or do you just thrive on conflict?

Seems the latter...

Proudly installing things where they're not supposed to go since 1996!
Windex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2017, 10:04   #50
ManicMechanic

As a VW mechanic at a dealer I have a few insights for you.
First yep we laugh like crazy at people using these things.
Second yes you do need access to the data port for an oil change. You need to reset the service light and TPMS on some car that can only be done with a scanner.
Third the FIX for TDI CAN"T be done with out consent. It's step one in the recall.
And last yes we make notes against the VIN that the vehicle is most likely Tuned.
So put one on if you like it's just going to slow you getting your car worked on and people laughing at you.
ManicMechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2017, 20:48   #51
Miss_Athanatos
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManicMechanic View Post
As a VW mechanic at a dealer I have a few insights for you.
First yep we laugh like crazy at people using these things.
Second yes you do need access to the data port for an oil change. You need to reset the service light and TPMS on some car that can only be done with a scanner.
Third the FIX for TDI CAN"T be done with out consent. It's step one in the recall.
And last yes we make notes against the VIN that the vehicle is most likely Tuned.
So put one on if you like it's just going to slow you getting your car worked on and people laughing at you.
Thanks for your insight.

I think HighPlainsDrifter would disagree with you about the "fix" requiring consent as "step one in the recall". His dealer contacted him for consent after the "fix" was completed without his consent during an oil change visit.

I don't mind people laughing at me. I laugh at me, too.

Old November 27th, 2017, 11:51   #52
ManicMechanic

Not sure what was done to HighPlainsDrifter's vehicle but the TDI FIX was not released to the dealer until August this year so not sure how he got it 6 mouths early.
ManicMechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2017, 12:57   #53
Miss_Athanatos
Veteran Member

For the Gen 3, 2.0L TDIs, phase 1 of the fix was released in January 2017.

https://jalopnik.com/volkswagen-tdi-...die-1791432942