Name that homemade tool!!!

duwem

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI 5 Speed
I dont personally, its more like a game connect the dots!

I wish it was, "show your home made tools". There are a ton of neat ideas in here, but you need to play musical chairs and dig though all the posts to figure out what they actually are.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Is that canned air? Freezing and heating something...... Hmmm.... Cold start issues? Fuel temp sensor?
Close enough. Anything electrical that stops working when hot or cold. I just had a window on a Ford that would stop working when warm. So I disassembled until I could warm the motor until it stopped working, then hit it with the compressed air until it worked again. It gave me confidence that was the problem.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI

I really wished I had made it sooner. One of my most frequently used tools.
I have something that looks somewhat similar. Basically a welding rod flatened and ground with special shapes. I used it when rebuilding Deere steering valves when installing and removing the seals way down in the bore. That's the closest I can figure. Installing and removing o-rings.

roostre

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI DSG
Way less spectacular than those. Its a puller for the black plastic lugnut covers.
Thats interesting, since I made a tool almost exactly like that for manipulating coil springs on brake shoes when working on drum brakes. My "pull" notch is a little smaller and I have a notch on the tip for pushing.

Now I have another use for the tool. Thanks.

slamhouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI SE
How about this one :)

OldPoopie will have fun with this one.

This is the first of three teasers, I'll give you 24 hours before I upload another teaser.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI

Test wires for electrical troubleshooting, obviously. Just remember to use good wires and not broken wires. It can save lots of trouble when troubleshooting.

Yeah...

Ian F

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Indigo Blue
While incredibly creative, I have to ask - why didn't you just mount it in the wall of the shop?
I can think of a second reason - if the unit craps out, he's not limited to finding another one exactly the same size.

Some neat stuff posted. I have a few home made tools, but haven't needed to make one for the TDI yet.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Just finished this one. A little hint, too many mentions from whitbread about using it made me do it.....

Last edited: