2009 Jetta TDI exhaust valve fix-1 and fix-2

redtdi966

Veteran Member
TDI
09 B-graphite sedan 6-sp (Bridgewater- NJ)
2009 Jetta TDI exhaust valve fix

fix-1
Took out valve, on bench worked it open-close with PB-blaster for 10 min then reinstalled two weeks ago, fault has not returned.

fix-2 perminent.
SO thinking the fix is to abrasively remove some of the vane so it does not contact the housing. I think that it binds as exhaust carbon builds up. If I can develop a gap - vane to housing it will fix the problem.

When it fails next time me and the dremel tool will do this.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
how many miles do you have? Mine still had clean action at 40K, but i shot it with wd-40 and actuated it by hand to keep it a little lubed up.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If you haven't had any issues not really, but it is kinda like an old schoole egr valve and anything else on the car it will fail at sometime. What time it fails is anybodys guess. Some have had to theirs replaced at only 40K.

If you have that many miles on your 09 in that short of a time, you're probably fine because of constant use would prevent and binding rust in it.

I'd be more concerned with the life left of your DPF. The service book calls for inspecting the ash (NOTE ASH NOT SOOT) levels at 120K and possibly replacing as needed.

Oh any you're only 20K away from a Timing belt change too, that'll set you back $300 plus labor.

redtdi966

Veteran Member
TDI
69K highway miles, yep forgot to list this. Drive 70 miles m-f, t/f work, freeway speeds 65ish.

I'm impressed that the fault has not returned. Id say everyone will have this joy

redtdi966

Veteran Member
TDI
thinking about why my car has (had) the exhaust valve issue, while most cars don't (yet). Guess that is manufac. tolerances. The vane / chamber tolerance must just be tighter than most on mine, that is why I am thinking that reducing the vane a bit may be an option (I have not done this)

So it's been 3- weeks for just a cleaning with no fault.

JRSwampy

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Would this problem cause the engine light to come on? The book says it's an exhaust malfunction. Where is the exhaust valve located? I have a 09 with just over 110k miles. This is my 1st problem...

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
btw the failed flapper valve will cause a CEL.

redtdi966

Veteran Member
TDI
CEL will cause a NJ inspection fail in NJ, besides it may mask a real fail.

I have vagcom, but I cannot exercise the value with vagcom as I thought I should. Hopefully they will include this in the bag of tricks

redtdi966

Veteran Member
TDI
I have a 2009 TDI, son's 2000 passat V6, daughters 2002 -cyl.

They all have the CEL on for emmisions relatd issues (VAGed).

I look at this as 1) something is wrong with VW engineering, some disconnect between disaciplines== Electrical vs Mechanical. The basic design is sound, but these little issues kill the experience.

The - End

armylifer

TDI
2009 Jetta
Can you post pictures of the valve? Where is it on the exhaust system? I do not have any indication of a problem yet but I would like to inspect mine and see if a problem is developing.

shortysclimbin

Veteran Member
TDI
Kubvan, mk2 golf, mk6 golf
Armylifer- It is located under the car about at the center pillar (distance back from front of car) It is located after a giant NOX box and before a smaller S20 Cat. To remove it you need a 10mm wrench and a small screwdriver flat blade, to remove the multi prong connector. Its a piece that looks like a giant throttle body valve...

redtdi966

Veteran Member
TDI
finally threw in the wrench and bought a new one from IDTPARTS for 259$. I just have a unit that was not manufactured in spec and lasted for a while 61K miles. -- Hopefully this is worst issue I have@!

dr.zed

Veteran Member
I've been spraying the spring on the valve with wd40 each time I do an oil change. No problems with mine. 140000 Kms and counting. 2009 M6 TDI