Mk5 Golf 105 TDI 200BHP

3.5mark89tdi

TDI
Mk5 1.9 TDI
Hi I have a MK5 Golf 1.9 TDI 105. I have had a TUNIT chip, performance exhaust and a K&N panel Filter on it which increased the power and made the car quicker but I am now looking to up the power more. I was thinking near the 200 mark if this is possible? Just wondered if you guys no what I will need an where I could get it from? either new parts or parts of other vehicles?
Cheers

Last edited:

johnnloki

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Golf TDI
Estimate how much you expect to spend.

Now triple that number, if you want to double your horsepower.

Quadruple the number that you were expecting if you want to retain reliability.

No idea what a TUNIT chip is, but it's not familiar. A good quality chip will get you halfway to where 6,000 bucks will get you- I suggest starting there.

And 200 is just a number- it's really not a good goal. "I want to shave ___ off my lap times" "I want to be ____ faster in the quarter mile", those are real measures of your vehicle's ability, not a simple number that can and will change from dyno to dyno. Be more concerned with how the car drives to you, and how you drive the car, than you are with 200hp.

Did you ever imagine that a 100hp car that weighs 3000 lbs would be more enjoyable to drive than other base model economy cars with 20+ more horsepower? Horsepower isn't the be all end all, driving a diesel you should know that- area under the curve and drivability are paramount in my mind.

Last edited:

3.5mark89tdi

TDI
Mk5 1.9 TDI
Money isnt really an issue I just want to no what turbo i could fit to it and if i will need a new intercooler or will the stock one be ok?

3.5mark89tdi

TDI
Mk5 1.9 TDI
I have read that with a larger turbo and a engine remap that this car is good for 170bhp making it alot better to drive, does any one no what turbo i can use and were could i get one from?

johnnloki

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Golf TDI
3.5mark89tdi said:
Money isnt really an issue I just want to no what turbo i could fit to it and if i will need a new intercooler or will the stock one be ok?
Then you should sell your car, and buy a 150-170hp model to start with. Those might do it with just a chip

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
That car is essentially the same as our BEW
200 hp is straightforward, injectors, turbo, 3-bar, tune, intercooler, clutch, done.

Last edited:

ArturCosta

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 Avant 1996 Silver
KERMA said:
200 hp is straightforward, injectors, turbo, 3-bar, tune, intercooler, clutch, done.
I have seen 210hp out of this stock injectors... but its safer to use the PD150 nozzles.

Is this the car with DPF ? I have remaped some of those and some come with DPF and others dont. The nice part is that the one with DPF you can check EGTs with vag com :D

The ones without DPF only with remap its possible more then 160bhp... a simple turbo swap to a VB and it makes 180 easly ;)

Regards

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
just out of curiosity, what is the lowest lambda you map those with dpf?

ArturCosta

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 Avant 1996 Silver
Rub87 said:
just out of curiosity, what is the lowest lambda you map those with dpf?
It depends on what the costumer wants. If it is to make the DPF last the lowest is 1.2 and highest EGTs 600ºC.

I have made some with 1.0 and over 700ºC... it actually smoked on going WOT lol

Regards

3.5mark89tdi

TDI
Mk5 1.9 TDI
Hi guys thanks for your replys where could these parts be bought from? and what model turbo could be used.

It does'nt have a DPF on it I dont think were whould it be if it did?

Thanks

Last edited:

johnnloki

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Golf TDI
KERMA said:
I don't know what I was thinking- Looking around there are hundreds of members- maybe even thousands of members who've upgraded their turbo, injectors, intercooler, clutch, map sensor, and chip, who are now running twice their factory horsepower.

Or maybe not, maybe almost everyone who does those upgrades are more in the realm of 75%... the guys with double (what would that be... 5 members?) have not exactly had simple times getting there, and their reliability does seem to be decreased..

Maybe that's changing with some of the newer models of turbo that nobody actually carries yet, but honestly, to say that it's straightforward with 6 steps and you're through is pretty funny, and definitely spoken like the guy selling the product.

Edit:

For every one guy currently running double their stock horsepower, there is 1.5 guys who don't currently have a working vehicle because they *were* running double their stock horsepower, and there's about 20 guys who were expecting to double their horsepower but never got there, in spite of doing the chip, injector, turbo, clutch, map, intercooler (and intake, exhaust, pumps, gauges, and all of those other things needed) It's not so simple or straightforward, (which also translates to nearly as cheap or reliable) as you just led on.

Last edited:

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
johnnloki said:
Edit:

For every one guy currently running double their stock horsepower, there is 1.5 guys who don't currently have a working vehicle because they *were* running double their stock horsepower, and there's about 20 guys who were expecting to double their horsepower but never got there, in spite of doing the chip, injector, turbo, clutch, map, intercooler (and intake, exhaust, pumps, gauges, and all of those other things needed) It's not so simple or straightforward, (which also translates to nearly as cheap or reliable) as you just led on.
It's really not that hard to get there (200HP) with a PD engine. As Kerma all ready pointed out the mods. People just have to pic the right parts, instead of over working undersized turbo, and extreme durations on undersized injectors. There is really not that much differnce in the PD engine basic design for that horsepower level. The PD130/150 units are a better choice for those wishing to move into the 250+hp range, but only because the crank is a bit heavier. By that point, everyone is running Rosten rods and some sort of custom piston work. Anything over 220/230HP starts taking a much more concerted effort since we really need to switch over to R783 injectors at that point and select GT20 or larger hotside for turbo. Then were into adapters, custom tubular manifolds, and it just goes from there.

3.5mark89tdi

TDI
Mk5 1.9 TDI
Thanks for all your replys guys, i have had a large bore down pipe fitted along with my exhaust and have had it custom remaped but i am now having problems wit my intercooler, the pipes keep blowing off which fit into the IC. Ive been looking around and have found some alloy FMIC for the 2.0 TFSI on ebay, and was wondering if this would improve the performance on my car if i alter the pipes to fix to my existing pipes? or is my original IC more the capable for this car as it is if i think up a better way of fixing the hoses?
Thanks again guys hope to here from you again.

Piranha

Veteran Member
TDI
golf 2000 Flash Red
230HP cost me Eur7,500 worth of engine internals.
and that's not including turbo, mapping, labour and many more things.

Then you need to work on the brakes and suspension.

It's a long expensive road, but all worth it in the end.

gogobug

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Beetle
johnnloki said:
I don't know what I was thinking- Looking around there are hundreds of members- maybe even thousands of members who've upgraded their turbo, injectors, intercooler, clutch, map sensor, and chip, who are now running twice their factory horsepower.

Or maybe not, maybe almost everyone who does those upgrades are more in the realm of 75%... the guys with double (what would that be... 5 members?) have not exactly had simple times getting there, and their reliability does seem to be decreased..

Maybe that's changing with some of the newer models of turbo that nobody actually carries yet, but honestly, to say that it's straightforward with 6 steps and you're through is pretty funny, and definitely spoken like the guy selling the product.

Edit:

I think it's pretty well known that an ALH with RC5 plus a minimum of 17/22 turbo, 11mmIP, PP764 or larger, 2.5DP+exhaust, upgraded intercooler & intake will easily make 180hp. ---without any major reliability issues. Of course this isn't cheap. ;)

PDT

TDI
fabia and polo
Firstly, bin the tunit its nothing more than a glorified resistor in a box. we dyno test them regularly and they rarely make more than 130 bhp on the 105 engines.

The standard engine/ecu can be safetly remapped to 155 bhp with 270 ft/lb of torque (our caddy van proves this, its a 105bhp) and with the addition of an intercooler, gt1749VB turbo, exhaust and better clutch then 190bhp is on the cards.

Infact we are doing one very shortly, we are just scourcing a decet clutch :)