Am I the only one enjoying their '09?

sleder6

TDI
2009 jetta tdi wagon
just traded my 06 jetta tdi with 125km on it..got stuck with the dreaded dmf change.nothing 1500 wouldnt cover..i ordered the new wagon in sept but original dealer could not supply so i had to go elsewhere..it seems no wagons available in canada.i hope 09 is a little better than the 06..

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Another happy 09 owner

I'm very pleased with my car. It's very solid, drives like a sports car, great styling, handling, etc. The great torque gets you going faster than you would expect! It's my first diesel, but 2nd VW Jetta. Our 97 Jetta GLS was a great car and I expect (hope) this one is too. I was all pumped, psyched ,etc. about the great MPG I was going to get with the 09, especially after reading the article about the couple from Australia breaking the WR for fuel efficiency. I obiously wasn't completely informed! They drove mostly around 55-60 MPH the entire trip! Who the @#$% drives that slow?!! Needless to say I was disapointed I couldn't get 50-58 MPG like they did. I would be happy with 48. My best MPG on a long trip was 41 MPG driving 65-80 MPH. I get 39 MPG on my drives to/from work. The 97 Jetta gasser got 30 MPG. My car is stock, no mods. I would love to get that after market in-dash DVD/NAV display. That would be sweet! Otherwise- this is a great car!!! I've had no problems what so ever!! (knocking on wood) Currently 8,400 miles on the car. Funny, I find myself just wanting to drive somewhere. That's how much I like it!!!

DoctorDawg

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta Loyal Edition
MacBuckeye said:
I find myself just wanting to drive somewhere. That's how much I like it!!!
Know what you mean. I keep thinking we need a new fuel economy measure: "NMPG" (Necessary Miles Per Gallon). This car's fun-factor tends to negate its good fuel economy by inspiring you to drive it when you don't really need to.

kasper

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat TDI spd manual
My 09 Jetta finally arrived last week, 6 spd, sedan ,highline,wheat beige.
What a joy to drive, it was worth the wait.
The only issue(minor) I have is that I liked the higher seating in my old 02 and now it's more low slung ...oh well... less drag.
I love the tone of the exhaust, just enough of a sound to make you feel that there is something good under the hood.

Ted

Tarbe

Veteran Member
TDI
Touareg and Sportwagon Sold to VW
I just finished driving 4,920 miles over 8 days, from Houston to Portland, OR and back. This includes several hundred miles in and around Portland during the 2.5 days we were there.

We blasted up through CO, WY, UT, and ID, so lots of wind, high altitude, cold weather and winter fuel. We drove up Mt Hood until we lost traction on the snow/ice, we went 80mph across I-80 in WY with a 30mph headwind, and the car did not miss a beat the whole trip (so long as you don't count the '09 studder trick!).

I drove every mile of this trip and can honestly say I would not mind jumping back in the car and doing it again starting tomorrow!

I really like this car!

Tim

Jefff929

TDI
Jetta-2002-Blue-auto Jetta-2009-Red-stick
We took delivery of our 09 at the end of November. It is my DWs DD. We really do like it. I continue to use the 02 as my DD.

The 09 has a poop load of more power. I compare it to my Ram with the Special mods I have made. The 02 is like the Ram in stock trim, for power comparison.

So far the 09 6spd is getting just about the same mpg as the 02 auto. So far our average mpg is running just about 40. We tend to do mixed city hwy with it, the computer on the dash usually says we get about 35-36 in the city. Neither of us is aggressive in our driving style. I'd really like to get the 09 out on the hwy and see what it will get for mpg. The 02 consistently gets an average of 43 with my commute, the day I took the 09 the dash computer said I was getting 43 also.

Looking forward to breaking in the 09 and see what it does in the long haul.

Last edited:

schmugo

TDI
09' JSW
3K and still going

Best car I've owned. Granted all of my other "cars" were jeeps including my current one. I wish all vehicles would come with an optional TDi. Lots of power, great MPG and fun to drive. My wife gets to drive it the most and she is exstactic, so I made major points for picking this car over the prius, and my boys love the pano roof. In my opinion not a better car available for the money.

Now VW just has to fix the ordering process, so I can get another before the end of the decade :p

axnels2

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 jetta sportswagen
I took a delivery of a 2009 TDI sportwagen last week, after almost 8 months of waiting. It was special ordered for me from the factory. Prior to that I was driving a 2004 v6 accord which was a good car but did not quite fit me.

The power delivery of my TDI is very similar to the Accord, maybe a little bit of turbo/diesel lag. The fit and finish is at least as good as the accord.
Handling is far superior. I also test drove an Acura TL recently and "electronic" steering on that car feels very odd to me. VW has handling dialed in perfectly for me.

Overall I am extremely happy with my purchase. I had absolutely no problems with the car so far, but DSG reliability and complexity does concern me in the long run. I suppose I will deal with those issues as they come up. Dont have to worry about for at least 3 years.

aml

TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan
On the 20th March I picked up a 09 Comfortline Sedan. I have 300kms on it is such a joy to drive. It is a 6 speed manual what a joy to be driving the manual again as the last time was back in my Toyota Pickup in 1997. My milage will go down a little bit in the summer as I carry my bikes on roof now since I got a tagged from behind on my other car that had a hitch bike carrier.

I do not reget getting this car and I am hoping that it will last the next 10 years with no problems (knocking on wood).

:D

Last edited:

tsingtao

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Mazda 3 Hatchback 2009 Jetta TDI--Bought back 12/21/16
sippingdiesel said:
Traded the "old" 2006 Jetta with 40k on it for the new 09. While I loved the old Jetta the new is night and day better. Now I have the acceleration + better fuel economy. Life time average for the 09 is 42.3 mpg at 6700 miles.

No issues, no complaints, the entire vehicle works perfectly.

--------------------------

Just traded in my 04 PD with 52,500 miles on the clock last Tuesday. Love the new one but still miss the old one. Seemed to get slightly better mileage on the 04 (45 vs 42) but the 09 obviously isn't broken in yet.

Good to know that I am not the only one who feels bad about getting rid of the old one and better to know that, in the long term, I will be happy that I got the 09.

Last edited:

Jetta09Chicago

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Loving It!

I am a first-time Jetta TDI owner, and have just over 3,000 miles on my new 2009 DSG. I have yet to take a long road trip, but yesterday I made a 50-mile drive (about 80% highway) and averaged 48.3 mpg! I thought this was pretty cool, considering that I am not fully broken in. Perhaps the warmer weather (18C) helped my fuel economy, but it will be interesting to see how mileage changes after conversion to non-winterized diesel later this spring.

bostelle

TDI
2009 Black Sportwagon
Is anyone else happy with there 2009 jetta

Damn right I'm happy! I only have 180 miles on mine (black sport wagon) but I gotta tell ya this car kicks ass! I love it! This is my 4th diesel and by far the best. I traded in a Infinity g35 for my last jetta (2006) and it was tough to be without the power but I wanted to save a little gas for my grandkids, but VW went and made a car that gets better milage than the 1.9 and added 40 horses! What a deal! I haven't really pushed it because it's just breaking in, but i know the power is there when i need it and it's a joy to drive! Jim

dr61

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW TDI on order
I enjoyed my car today during a 100 mi round trip to Lassen National Park; a fresh snowfall made for some nice cross-country skiing. the drive goes up to 5900' and back to 500' elevation; averaged 32 mpg going up and 42 mpg for the whole trip.