New turbo mapping question

teadunker

TDI
A3 TDI Quattro
Hi all,

I'm in the process of having some work done to my car and I'm planning to upgrade the turbo.

Currently the car has a large FMIC, a 3" decat exhaust, standard injectors, and a hybrid turbo (I don't know exactly what because it was on there when I bought the car). It has been remapped to 226bhp. It's a 1.9 of ASZ engine in an Audi A3 quattro.

I'm planning to upgrade the turbo to a GTB2260VK. At some point in the future I'll upgrade the injectors and get it remapped to take full advantage but for now I just want to do the turbo.

My question is, will it be safe to drive with the existing map on the bigger turbo? Or will it over boost or run lean and damage the engine?

Thanks

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
You cant lean out an diesel in the sense that you used. They already run crazy lean. Lean vs rich does not do what it does in a gas engine. All you get is more or less smoke and power.
You can however have too much boost that can do things like put the car into what's called a limp mode (safe default map) and throw up codes and CEL.
No real damage should occur and you should be able to adjust the actuator or put an inline boost controller (you can make them yourself) to lower the boost to prevent this for now.
Cant speak exactly to your car but my mk3 ran for years with out a tume.not very well in performance compared to with it.
You should be ok.

teadunker

TDI
A3 TDI Quattro
Thanks. I'd prefer not to have to do anything with the actuator as it's a pig to get to. Could I put something in the vacuum line in a more accessible place that would restrict the boost?

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
In short yes, it will suffer terrible lag as the map doesn't compensate for the larger turbo...