mutable noises

auto

TDI
jetta
My 06 with just under 200k is making noises.At idle loud rumble which I guess is the DMF. There is a higher pitch whine that is rpm dependent. I can put it in neutral rolling down the road and the whine goes up and down with the rpm.
And a low rumble type grone on acceleration.The car runs acceptable,we bought it new and of course it ran great then. I know I have to do the flywheel.I heard different thinking on that. DM or no DM. The whine I'm hoping just a idler pulley bearing or alt bearing. The low grone not sure.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
This is a manual trans, yes?

The loud rumble could well be the DMF. The inner mass of the flywheel can get off center and/or seize up and you have no crankshaft damping plus will act as an offset load and shake the engine around.

The whine may be able to be diagnosed by removal of the serpentine belt to see if it is relevant to those items, i.e. tensioner, A/C compressor, or alternator.

The stock DMF has been improved over the years and is now pretty affordable to buy. If you get the single mass set up it tends to produce a noise all it's own unless you buy the 'quiet' version set up. If you are not planning power upgrades then the stock DMF may suit you very well.

Last edited: