Radio loses its place when playing music from SD card

sgoldste01

Veteran Member
TDI
None; Replaced 2010 Golf TDI with 2012 Subaru Impreza 5-door with manual tranny
Hello,

I have my my MP3s loaded onto an SD card (4 or 8 GB; I can't remember which). My non-nav radio (RCD-510, right?) will intermittently lose its position after turning off the car, and then starting the car again. Instead of picking up where it left off in the album/song, it sometimes plays the first song in the alphabetically first folder on the card.

I noticed this behavior for the first time last week, when it did it twice in a row, and then not again for almost a week. Then it did it twice in a row again today.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions?

WISVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf
My radio was doing that, as well as resetting the speed dependant volume everytime I shut off the car. The dealer told me there was a re-flash for the software. I had that done and all works well now!

Side note...pull your SD card out before you go. I left mine in and it was damaged or corrupted or something. I tried everything to get it to work, went out and bpoght a new card, and all is well.

mike100

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 6M TDI
This topic came up before and it was suggested that the really large video cam size SD cards might not be the best choice. I have a 2 GB and an older 256mb one that work fine in my 2011.

kurtisk

TDI
2015 Passat SEL TDI, red on black, Stock; 2000 New Beetle TDI Auto swapped for 5spd, Cybergreen on Black, PSI Power Box; 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE TDI, red on tan; 2014 Beetle Convertible TDI Premium Edition, pearl white on black leather
I have a adata SDHC 16gb Class 6 card that says 'please wait' and takes 2-3 min to load and then plays the first track. Does it nearly every time. I haven't figured out the pattern or whether there is a pattern. Trying a smaller card (4gb).

SomeJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI 6m
From the reading in this thread, maybe your car needs the update? Im using a 32gig class 10 and have no problems. Only thing i see is when i change between media types (CD, radio, BT audio, etc...) the card or CD will reset to the first possible track. Just figured it was as designed, and a lack of memory to remember where it last was on a media type after a change.

As for the slow load times... I have noticed my card can take up to a min some times... but it is completely full of mp3s. It is almost as if the further into the SD card the mp3 is the longer it takes for it to search to resume. So maybe the more data there is on the card and the slower the card, the longer it will take.

Just the quirks I have noticed with mine. If yours is not resuming its place every time, then you might have a problem and maybe need an update?

(edit) Had the manual(s) out for other reasons tonight and noticed I have an "RCD 510, Premium 8" and there is very little info on the actual operating habits of the device in regards to the SD card. :(

Good luck,
J

Last edited:

jaberoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL silver
..... Only thing i see is when i change between media types (CD, radio, BT audio, etc...) the card or CD will reset to the first possible track. Just figured it was as designed, and a lack of memory to remember where it last was on a media type after a change........
J
I don't have that problem, with 4GB cards, anyway. When I switch back from FM or SAT, it resumes where it left of. Of course, if I press the card (to release it), then it will have to scan the whole contents next time.

mojo

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI, 6M, United Gray; 2014 Jetta TDI, 6M, Tornado Red
FWIW, I'm using an 8GB card with about 1500 single tracks on it. It loads when first inserted in about 10 seconds and keeps its place regardless of whether I switch between audio modes or turn the car off. The only quirk I experience is that if I'm listening via the MDI when I turn the car off, when I restart the car it sometimes picks back up on the MDI, sometimes reverts to the SD card. Also, I tend to listen to things in the MIX mode and it sometimes maintains that setting upon restart, other times it doesn't.

This site has updates for the MDI software, which may or may not affect how the SD card interacts with the stereo: http://87.230.74.92/ci_softwareupdates00.html. You need to have a USB connector for your MDI, however. Just download the update file (currently CW 22/2011) to a flash drive and plug it into the USB connector. It might be worth trying it -- may save you a trip to the dealer.

kurtisk

TDI
2015 Passat SEL TDI, red on black, Stock; 2000 New Beetle TDI Auto swapped for 5spd, Cybergreen on Black, PSI Power Box; 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE TDI, red on tan; 2014 Beetle Convertible TDI Premium Edition, pearl white on black leather
I have tried a 4Gb 150X card with the same results. Takes less time to load as it has 1/4 the mp3s, but it still has to load and starts at the beginning. Does seem to pick up where left off more frequently, but not enough. I am trying the USB MDI interface next.

kurtisk

TDI
The USB MDI interface works MUCH better. I just have the 16Gb card plugged into a USB card reader plugged into the MDI/USB adaptor (bought off ebay for $16). I never get the 'please wait' message anymore. Also don't have an ugly blue SD card sticking out of the radio. I do still find it does not always pick up where I left off, but I don't drive the car daily (wife's car) so I am not sure if she is listening (not likely, maybe son) or if maybe it is 'playing' while the unit is turned off the car is being driven. Anyway, if the standard SD card slot bugs you, get the adapter.