EGR Filter and DPF Replacement

kcunniff

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf GLS BEW (5spd)
Over the past three months, my '10 Jetta CJAA (41,000 miles) has been haunted by the P0401 code with accompanying MIL. First attempt to deal with it was to go back to an OEM air filter element, after the dealer triage. Cancelled the code and this worked for three months. MIL came on a week ago last Sunday, VCDS turns up P0401 - car back in the next day Monday. After further investigation, it was determined that the EGR filter and DPF would be replaced due to internal malfunction (VTA Access Code-1143300). Just got the car back today, THIS REPAIR WAS 100% COVERED BY VW UNDER THE EMISSIONS CONTROL SYSTEM WARRANTY. My service man said this would have cost me $2300 and change. Only problem was the exhaust pipe was seized making it hard to remove. Had to re-tap the hole after removal, got a new pipe. For those of you consistently dealing with this error code in a CR TDI, I would strongly suggest you look into replacing these components. For those of you looking to do it yourself, here is a list of the parts used in this repair:

(1) 1KO-254-706-LX - Exhaust pipe
(2) 1KO-253-725 - Clip
(1) 1KO-253-115-AE - AE Gasket
(1) 1KO-253-141-M - Clamp
(1) 1KO-253-115-T - Gasket
(1) 1KO-253-725-E - Clip
(1) 1KO-253-120 - Tube
(1) 03G-131-547-H - Gasket
(1) 1KO-131-552-A - Line
(2) WHT-000-431-A - Bolt
(4) N-910-398-02 - Bolt

Also got a tire replaced free of charge due to a slight bulge that developed in the right front tire side wall three days before it went in for the emissions repair. Vista VW, Pompano Beach, FL treats me very well and always has (and no, I am not affiliated with the business in any manner, nor do I receive any compensation of any sort).

As part of their multi-point check, my battery tripped an error code and needs replacement. This was the first code for this, and it happened today. Will scan with my VCDS after driving tomorrow, just because it seems odd that it threw the code today after final re-assembly. To be on the safe side, I picked up a new OEM battery at Gunther VW, Coconut Creek, FL ($124.00, better price) and will drop that in over the weekend.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
What was the internal malfunction? Did they replace NOx filter?

ibexlatham

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta TDI 6spd - dead
My guess the internal malfunction is the DPF was cracked. It seems to be the most likely suspect with a P0401 code... They should change the code from "EGR flow insufficient" to "Check tailpipe for soot, replace DPF if there is any" to avoid misdiagnosis in the future.

kcunniff

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf GLS BEW (5spd)
What type of air filter element were you running? How many miles?
It was a K&N, had 38,000 miles on this filter with cleaning/oiling done at 12K intervals.

Had run nearly 100,000 miles with a K&N in my '05 Golf, which still has the original MAF. To be on the safe side, I went back to OEM on that car as well. After doing some more in depth research on the subject, I will stick with OEM on the air filter elements.

Last edited:

kcunniff

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf GLS BEW (5spd)
To my knowledge, there was no specific NOx filter replacement. As for the malfunction, this is what the VW diagnostic spit out along with the recommendation for replacement. I asked if the EGR filter and DPF were inspected after being pulled out, as I was curious about the specific malfunction, but this was not done by the technician (don't get paid to do detective work...). I asked if the DPF was cracked, but this was not determined.

Drove the car this morning for 70 miles or so, with 35+ at highway speed (70+ mph). Pulled into my garage space at work and it was in a regen cycle - place smelled like burning soot. My previous regen cycles (which were few and far between) didn't produce any odor, so I guess the new components are doing what they are supposed to. Curious as to why I already entered into a regen cycle, especially since the DPF is presumably clean (brand new yesterday) and I stepped on it a bit today? We'll see how it goes, and hoping for an improvement on the fuel economy, as this had dropped off a bit since the error code started tripping.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
I'm surprised they would warrant ANY work on a car having run K&N filter for that long.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
The reason why I ask. I was talking to a company at the fest that cleans DPF system for $500 dollars. He thinks the problem starts at the NOx filter, he said he gets more crap out of the Nox filter than the DPF. If they just replace the DPF and the NOx filter you will be in the same boat down the road. He also say that K&M the one's that you wash and reuse effect the DPF. The reason why is that the little pours on the filter start to close up and cut off air flow.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
K&N filters don't filter very well and allow gunk to get on the MAF, which will throw off the emissions system.

If I were you I'd consider changing the MAF as well, or at the least cleaning it.

-J

kcunniff

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf GLS BEW (5spd)
Actually, the dealer had first suggested I remove the K&N and re-install the OEM filter element in order to try and alleviate the P0401 code issue. After doing so, I continued to have the problem, and would deduce that the filter had absolutely nothing to do with this. At the minimum, the dealer would not be able to definitively prove that a K&N filter would ultimately lead to DPF failure, as suggested above by MonsterTDI. Therefore - warranty coverage.

Last edited:

Lee_Taylor

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A3 1.4 COD
Just wondering is the K&N oil used on the filter low ash?:rolleyes: Personally I think you are very fortunate and if VW pay attention to these forums and note the dealers details you might be so fortunate in future.

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
the experience many have had here is the dealer will claim that whatever component is not stock is what caused the problem and not cover the repair. VW will back the dealers claim and now it is up to you to prove your aftermarket item did not cause the problem.

for example..... some of the first HPFP failures, the dealer drained fuel from tank into dirty soda bottle and said "see you have bad fuel, not our fault" without even testing the fuel. putting it in the file as fact. or the particles the HPFP throws back into the tank the dealer claims the owner pumped in there because the HPFP can not put metal back to tank and simply putting it in the file as bad fuel and not covering the repair.

510Finn

TDI
2010 Jetta SportWagen
VW cannot claim that the aftermarket part caused the problem, if they do get an attorney, and refer to Magnuson-Moss Warrant Act.

According to the Federal Trade Commission:

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket or recycled part.... The manufacturer or dealer must show that the aftermarket or recycled part caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage. (http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/alerts/alt192.shtm) (emphasis added)

As far as the HPFP issue, I'm using Amsoil Diesel Injector Clean fuel additive to preserve my replaced failed HPFP due to the lack of lubricity that ULS Diesel fuels we buy at inflated prices over gasoline.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
2 year old thread. Dealer can claim anything they want, leaving you to navigate the legal aspect or just give up. But I bet whatever issue is resolved by now.