VAGCOM vehicle restricted?

acfreema

TDI
2005 Jetta TDI m/t
I did some looking here, and on Ross-Tech's page, but I couldn't find a statement to clarify one way or the other: Are any of the VCDS or VAGCOM products restricted to a single vehicle?

I'm getting ready to sell one TDI, and need to fix a couple strange DTCs, but I have a second TDI that will be sticking around for a long time.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
No Ross-Tech interfaces are limited to only one vehicle. However, many of their modern interfaces are VIN limited. The cheapest interface is limited to 3 VINs. However, this limit only applies to some things. You can scan for fault codes and clear fault codes on an unlimited number of cars. However, what Ross-Tech calls "advanced functions" (like coding and adaptations) do require registering the VIN of the car and some interfaces are limited to 3 VINs. For more money you can get a 10 VIN model or an unlimited model.
For more info on R-T's VIN limiting details look here: https://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?8869-VIN-Limited-Interface-FAQ

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. Older used interface cables are not VIN limited. If all of your VWs are older than about 2015 a used "legacy" interface will work just fine.

Last edited: