Upgrade 2015 to Billsteins

TDI321

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL, phase 2a
I’m not happy with the Sachs factory struts on our 2015 TDI SEL. weak at 11K, now 30K. Sitting for 2 years in compound was not healthy to them. Anyhow, I’m seeking your input into the follow Billstein units for this B7-NMS sedan:

B6 Mfg Part #
35-122081 Sport strut. Rod is nearly the diameter of the strut body. $223 each

Mfg Part #
35-122074 Heavy Duty - similar rod shaft size to B6. $222 a side front

Mfg Part #
22-151056 Touring strut - OE ride characteristic. $76/side (I installed these on a Volvo V40 and the honeymoon lasted 1 month).

B14 Coilover Suspension Kit # 47-127708 $995 with everything. Lower 30-50mm.

Does SEL Premium in 2015 have electronics on shocks to firm/soft the ride?

Thanks//

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Actually its the DEF tank that made the suspension “primitive” compared to 2009-14 JSW.....

I noticed immediately when I test drove several 2015’s like Jetta, GSW and Golf.... as for the Passat, they are much bigger and doesnt need to downgrade the suspension to make room for DEF tank...

As for my old 2011 JSW’s oem shocks lasted until 240k miles then upgraded to Bilstein HD’s and whoa its a huge day and night of differences and

Hint: its not coffee cup friendly on cup holder... LOL! It ended up spitting all over my corn beige headliner. I believe my Bilsteins were B6 or B8’s from idparts.com ... its been since 2015.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Actually its the DEF tank that made the suspension “primitive” compared to 2009-14 JSW.....

I noticed immediately when I test drove several 2015’s like Jetta, GSW and Golf.... as for the Passat, they are much bigger and doesnt need to downgrade the suspension to make room for DEF tank...
WHAT??????

The Passat is still IRS despite the DEF tank. So DEF has absolutely NO impact on the ride. But if you are comparing gasser Jetta to TDI Jetta, then you may be correct. I have no experience there.

The problem is that they used valving in the shocks and struts that is entirely TOO SOFT. So when you are on the highway with expansion joints you get a lot of porpoising (bobbing up and down like a boat on the water).

If you replace the struts with something a little firmer, the ride will DRASTICALLY improve.

I put the Koni Special Active (formerly called FSD) on my Passat and it made the ride MUCH better. It holds the road, it doesnt feel like I am on the S.S. Minnow. I also added a 24mm H&R rear sway bar and it made the corners MUCH tighter as well.

And since I did not change the springs, I maintained the stock ride height.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok let me clarify.... during the test drives of those brand new 2015’s as I experienced a lot more body roll at turns and curves in all 2015 Jetta, Golf, GSW TDI’s even softer suspension as you mentioned.

The 2012-15 Passat had almost no body rolls just like my old 2011 JSW which I chose not to buy any of those brand new 2015’s just before the diesel gate broke out besides the 2015 Passat which I do own one right now (formerly buyback car) as my girlfriend drives one now and I now own a 2014 JSW. (Buy back car also) both bought at 20k miles few months apart.

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
When Dieselgate was announced I took the good faith money (and a little more) and went for the Bilstein HDs and a rear bar. Still love the ride and handling at 197k miles..

Lex Tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
The 2012-15 Passat had almost no body rolls

Huh? My 2013 was terrible on two lane winding roads with the stock suspension. I also upgraded sway bars and FSD koni shocks and have been very happy... I also didnt touch the springs.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Im Talking about being brand new. Over 100k miles and beyond, it is a different story like yours for example, 170k miles.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Mine were terrible from the time i got it which was under 30,000 miles...

Hmm wow she must have been driven hard by the previous owner.... my 2015 Passat has poor paint quality but drives excellent.... its based on how they were driven and such. I bought my 2015 Passat at 20k miles and drives like new.....

abishoff

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I have the koni active shocks in the garage. They’ll get installed any day now. I did some price shopping and got ECS to give me a killer deal.

abishoff

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Huh? My 2013 was terrible on two lane winding roads with the stock suspension. I also upgraded sway bars and FSD koni shocks and have been very happy... I also didnt touch the springs.

What sway bars and specs??

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
24mm H&R is a great option (despite different part numbers for the NMS a mk5 rsb fits the NMS with zero issues) it was a huge upgrade over stock bar. It also has two settings, try it on soft and be impressed, swap it to stiff and be amazed.

Granted it won't help the buick like float, but heck IMO that's what a grand tourer should feel like, i'm not going to pound down 100's of miles and want to feel every expansion joint.

If i were to look for new struts, it'd be FSD or Special Actives for the dual valving.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
if you just want the rear.

71750-24 mk5 bar, 71763-24 NMS spec'd bar, which ever one you can find cheaper it'll work.

abishoff

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I’ve read that MK6 bars will also fit. I know someone selling H&R 26mm Front Sway Bar and H&R 24mm Rear Sway Bar with front adjustable endlinks. Will these fit?
@Lex Tdi
@740GLE

abishoff

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
24mm H&R is a great option (despite different part numbers for the NMS a mk5 rsb fits the NMS with zero issues) it was a huge upgrade over stock bar. It also has two settings, try it on soft and be impressed, swap it to stiff and be amazed.

Granted it won't help the buick like float, but heck IMO that's what a grand tourer should feel like, i'm not going to pound down 100's of miles and want to feel every expansion joint.

If i were to look for new struts, it'd be FSD or Special Actives for the dual valving.

I did purchase the FSD Koni shocks, since it’s about half price compared to the Bilstiens. But I was annoying that the rears didn’t come with bumpstops for dust covers. I think I’m gonna head to my local 4wd store and see what they have.

garreth5

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta
Yes, Bilsteins are pricey but they can improve ride quality and will last for several years.

abishoff

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Here are my Konis after I added some shock boots from 4wheelparts

Last edited by a moderator:

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
"Yes, Bilsteins are pricey but they can improve ride quality and will last for several years."

I usually install Bilsteins on my VWs around 50-75k miles, keeping the car in the family for at least 250k miles and have never had to replace them. I think they have a lifetime guarantee. I have ~150k miles on my current set (car has 200k). With the H&R rear bar she still corners like she's on rails! John

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I’ve read that MK6 bars will also fit. I know someone selling H&R 26mm Front Sway Bar and H&R 24mm Rear Sway Bar with front adjustable endlinks. Will these fit?
@Lex Tdi
@740GLE

Ahh that's the thing, there was no real Mk6 it was just mk5 hardware and a new shell. around it